x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

J728-Sierra555D (Verizon USA) "return address error"

baltobernie
baltobernie Page Icon Posted 2005-08-28 2:47 PM
#
I recently purchased the two components listed above from separate individuals.

Installation of the AirCard was easy, and I can surf, as well as receive e-mail in Pocket Outlook 3.1

What I cannot do is send e-mail. "Error sending message. There was an error specifying your return address to the server. Please check the return address specified in your service properties."

The return e-mail address is correct. I've tried omitting the "@verizon.net" following my user name. I've also tried substituting the "(phone number)@vsw3g.com" as a return address, which is my Aircard user name. Lastly, I've performed a hard reset, and re-installed everything, to no avail. If I leave the return address blank, the error message is "Unable to send message. Unexpected SMTP error".

I can send e-mail using Verizon Web Mail on this Jornada, and mail on my desktop is working fine.

Any suggestions?

Bernie
(newbie)
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-28 6:10 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

hmm do you have the right smtp server address? might be a simple question but many people don't know about that.
 Top of the page
hpcpro Page Icon Posted 2005-08-28 7:18 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

This is a very old problem of Pocket Outlook. All the internet protocols were actualized a few years ago: internet explorer,SSL, smtp,certificates,.... Pocket Outlook wasnt updated.We know how well Microsoft spoil HPCs.

I use nPOP a very good and faster freeware software design to solve this problem.
Qmail and others can solve you problem.

Edited by hpcpro 2005-08-28 7:21 PM
 Top of the page
baltobernie
baltobernie Page Icon Posted 2005-08-28 8:01 PM
#
It is "outgoing.verizon.net", which is also on my desktop, which works OK
 Top of the page
baltobernie
baltobernie Page Icon Posted 2005-08-28 8:10 PM
#
Before I explore other e-mail programs, I'd like to make sure that I've exhausted all possibiities of correcting this problem.

Factorite, my last HPC was the J680. It too had Pocket Outlook, and I was able to send and receive e-mail using a dial-up connection (Verizon, in fact). This machine predates the J728. In fact, the only reason I went to the newer model is because HPC2000 supports the AirCard. I appreciate your Post, but I think there's something else going on here.

Bernie
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-28 8:31 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

baltobernie - 2005-08-29 2:10 AM

Before I explore other e-mail programs, I'd like to make sure that I've exhausted all possibiities of correcting this problem.

Bernie

does this SMTP require authentication or anything special?
believe me the built-in inbox *sucks* (sorry), and nPOP is excellent! it'll give even the error reason
 Top of the page
hpcpro Page Icon Posted 2005-08-30 4:08 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Pocket Outlook works perfect, the same as Pocket Internet Explorer 4.01.
The problem is the mail server. If your configuration is ok , the problem can be the internet provider if you use this account or another mail server. If this servers use actual protocols your Pocket Outlook cant send email.But the problem is not really the server, the problem is Pocket Outlook because is out of date.Is the same case as Msn Messenger(5.0) or Ruksun MSn Messenger.The programs work perfect but never will connect to the msn messenger server because the security protocol was actualized. Now we use msn messenger 7.0. Then for emails we need new software: nPOP,Gmail,...
I have seven(7) email accounts. Not one work for send with Pocket Outlook in my Hp728. In the past all this accounts worked perfect on my HP680.
We have to renove our internet software: mailers, internet browser, msn messenger, ....
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-31 5:23 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

hpcpro - 2005-08-30 10:08 PM

I have seven(7) email accounts. Not one work for send with Pocket Outlook in my Hp728. In the past all this accounts worked perfect on my HP680.

huh this is interesting. all my accounts work with pocket outlook except gmail and except when i'm on gprs because my gprs provider's smtp requires smtp auth. do your smtp require authentication or something? then i can understand your problem..
 Top of the page
hpcpro Page Icon Posted 2005-08-31 8:11 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

All my accounts require smtp authentication.
This is the problem. Actually a lot of email server and internet provider use smtp authentication. Rare is a mail account without authentication today.And every day past more.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-31 8:37 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

ah i see!
hungary might be a little slow in following these new protocols... my adsl isp doesn't require smtp auth. ok, my gprs provider does... but the free isp i can use for dialup connection, doesn't require it either.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 8