x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Keyboard error on the MP 790: Please help

1 2
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-08-29 11:14 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I just received my used MP 790 today and I have a major issue that I hope someone can give me a fix for. I have weird keyboard alphabet error here goes
[A B (when I touch C it goes to the control panel) 'D 5E =F G3 H I J4 K L O M O P Q 7R S T u v w x y z] when I press the caps lock, a (t) shows up. I tried two hard resets and a few soft resets. Please someone help!
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-08-29 11:28 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Have you tried to cross reference your model sub-type at the NEC site?
I'm hoping/guessing you have a keyboard for another country and can use software to rectify it.

Where did you get if from? Is it from a reputable place or an "all sales final" deal?
 Top of the page
Zapper Page Icon Posted 2005-08-30 12:03 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I have EXACTLY that same issue with an MP800 I acquired for 'parts' on eBay. No ROM, so I plugged in an MP780 ROM into it, and the keyboard behaves precisely the way you describe. The keyboard layout for that device is for the Asian market. There were Chinese characters on the keyboard. It has a different mapping which is apparently incompatible with a standard English CE ROM. I've shelved it for the time being as a project to figure out for another day.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-08-30 12:48 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Zapper, I figured as much, but getting confirmation from you seals it.

Yoldering. Can you get a refund? Was it from Ebay? If it was go back and look carefully at the listing . There's no way a seller can force this deal to stick if they didn't mention the oddball key layout. Give us the ebay link if it came from there.

I *really* hate deceptive ebay vendors, or deceptive vendors of any type.

Edited by wallythacker 2005-08-30 12:53 AM
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-08-30 1:43 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I have just sent an email to the e-Bayer I bought it from. They have sold quite a few of these and have had no negative feedback. I will wait and see what they say. I hope someone here knows how to fix it if they won't help, and you better believe I will share the link if they won't help. I don't want to badmouth them. They seem like nice people.

Sometimes I just wish I had better luck!!!
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-08-30 3:03 AM
#
H/PC Elder

It may be an honest mistake on their part. Yours may be the only non US keyboard in the lot they purchased for resale. If they are reputable you should have no problem getting a replacement.

If something like your experience happened to me and this site didn't exist I wouldn't have a clue where to turn.

Let us know how the vendor handles it.
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-08-30 9:03 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Thanks Wally!... Just in case they don't replace; does anyone know how to fix? Or am I stuck with it?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-08-30 10:45 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

if it's just a question of mapping, couldn't a remap soft help? i'm unsure..
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-08-31 6:04 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Had a reply from the vendor, they are checking on it. I am going crazy. School has already started and I can't use it! I may have to use the dreamwriter. Any other suggestions?
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-09-03 3:12 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Yoldering, it's going on 3 days now. You should have an RMA or some form of approval from the vendor to ship the dud back. What is there really for the vendor to look into? Nothing.

It's time for us to see the link. If the ad is deceptive then the vendor should bend over backwards to help you out. If the ad is deceptive I'd pretty much demand he ship a replacement NOW, instead of waiting for you to ship the dud back first.

Edited by wallythacker 2005-09-03 3:16 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-09-03 7:07 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Yoldering,

If you open up a registry editor and head to
HKLM\nls

Can you print out all the values stored beneath that (overrides key isn't necessary).
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-09-03 5:23 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

C:Amie - 2005-09-03 6:07 AM

Yoldering,

If you open up a registry editor and head to
HKLM\nls

Can you print out all the values stored beneath that (overrides key isn't necessary).

C:Amie how would I go about doing that? I have never had to open one before on a HPC.

Edited by Yoldering 2005-09-03 5:24 PM
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-09-03 5:42 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Well, I guess I would have to install one referenced in this thread?
http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1038&posts=7
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-09-03 6:12 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Registry editor:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/s/0082.asp

By 'print out' I mean type out here rather than literally print

Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-09-08 6:56 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

No need for that. I heard back from her, she will switch out (Thank GOODNESS!!!) but she isn't sure if she has another 790, but she will give me an 880 or a 780 with a discount. If she has another 790 I’ll take it because I needed HPC2000, but my question is if the 880 is worth it? I have been trying to be patient and am glad I have been. With all of the things going on with the hurricane disaster, I am counting my blessings. I just hope she has a 790. Anyone have a 880?
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.265 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 10