x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

What to do with a 690 with a dead screen

1 2
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-03-11 6:17 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Free beer! Not planning to go to UK, but thx anyway.

Just one more bit of advice about opening it up. It is possible to take the lid apart without taking it off the base, but I think that'd be hard.

If you have the patients, you can take apart the base, which has eleven screws; don't forget that little thing that holds the button battery, and flip out the PC Card eject button, tricky tricky. All that just to unplug the screen cable (another screw) from the mainboard, so you can take the whole lid out to work on.

Also after opening the lid, you might want to take the screen off it; two cables that plug into the small circuit board (which is stuck on the lid). Just gives you more room to work on the plastic.

Have fun!
 Top of the page
vinceh Page Icon Posted 2005-03-13 9:54 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

It looks like I've finally found someone who can answer this question:

Is the display screen on the 720 the same as the 680? I have a 720 with a broken screen and an old 680..... can I replace the broken one with the old one from the 680?

When you make it to the UK, I'll buy you a beer too!
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-03-14 3:12 PM
#
H/PC Elder

More free beer!
Unfortunately, I can't answer that question. I only have a 728 and cannot compare to the 600 series. But I think C:Amie might have both, right?

Just from pictures I have seen on the net, the screens look identical physically, but you can't tell if they are functionally compatible, until someone tries it...
 Top of the page
vinceh Page Icon Posted 2005-03-14 7:26 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Just tried it AND IT WORKS! All but for the 'hard buttons' the screens are identical. Saved my 720!!!!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-03-14 7:29 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Yea it's great, the two devices are for the most part completly interoperable. Although that isn't perhaps something hp would like to admit, given it show the lack of actual development they made from the 1998 release of the 680 series and the 720 in 1999 then the 728 in 2002.
 Top of the page
Ales Dlabac
Ales Dlabac Page Icon Posted 2005-05-10 9:23 AM
#
I have same problem like Bernard orange lines over screen. Any solution Bernard or we are lost?

Saturn
 Top of the page
Ales Dlabac
Ales Dlabac Page Icon Posted 2005-06-22 7:33 AM
#
Nobody can help?

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-06-22 8:48 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

My advice on the previous pace is all I can offer.
 Top of the page
blaznc
blaznc Page Icon Posted 2005-08-04 5:34 PM
#
Do you know if the entire LCD assembly w/the plastic housing and LCD cable that goes to the motherboard is interchangable or is it just the LCD unit itself? Thanks!!

Brandon
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-08-06 7:49 PM
#
H/PC Elite

It's been a long time since my last post. but anyway.

Blaznc: yes, you can interchange either the entire assembly or just the LCD screen.

Hope this helps
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 9