x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Sig3 and SD Wi-Fi Card

1 2
Tech_Girl
Tech_Girl Page Icon Posted 2005-09-01 8:46 AM
#
Anyone has used a SD Wi-Fi Card with their Sigmarion III? Could you share your experience?

Or is it not compatible with the S3?
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-09-01 5:39 PM
#
H/PC Elder

AFAIK, cmonex is the only one here with enough loot to buy a Sig 3 . Ask her
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-01 6:27 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

actually ArchiMark has a sig3 as well
i can only say that any sdio wifi should work that has a ce.net driver or maybe wm2003 but that probably doesn't always work.
 Top of the page
Tech_Girl
Tech_Girl Page Icon Posted 2005-09-01 9:01 PM
#
The first person I asked was Cmonex... Seem like no one has used the SDIO wifi card with a S3.

The only drivera I found at least for Sandisk is PPC2002 and PPC2003. Would they work?
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2005-09-02 9:51 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Thanks for remembering!...

cmonex - 2005-09-01 3:27 PM

actually ArchiMark has a sig3 as well
 Top of the page
Juergen Page Icon Posted 2005-09-02 11:13 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

AFAIK the sig3's sd slot isn't capable of handling i/o extension cards on factory default. There is, however, an update available in docomo's "mobile custom" service which gives your sig3 sdio capability. And even if you don't plan to use io/o cards this update is to be recomended - it's part of a driver update for the built-in ati multifunction chip (graphics controller & sd controller). After installing the update performance of e.g. betaplayer or tcpmp is significantly faster .
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-03 3:53 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

mmhm Juergen thanks for the idea

anyway.. i just realized that socket sdio wifi works with the bsquare handheld.. same OS (except it's not japanese ).. it might work with the sig3 too
 Top of the page
Juergen Page Icon Posted 2005-09-04 4:56 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

cmonex - 2005-09-02 9:53 PM

i just realized that socket sdio wifi works with the bsquare handheld.. same OS (except it's not japanese ).. it might work with the sig3 too

I'm not surprised bsquare's "maui" device supports bsquare's "sdio now!" technology which is needed to use socket's "sdio now!" extension cards . Other manufacturers have to license "sdio now!" from bsquare to use it. And as it seems ati did licence "sdio now!" at a time sig3 already had been released.
 Top of the page
Tech_Girl
Tech_Girl Page Icon Posted 2005-09-05 1:43 AM
#
Thanks for the tip, Juergen. Its just a matter of connecting to the mobile custom right? I have never tried using that at all.

I shall see if I can get my hand on a Socket SDIO wifi... Thanks, Cmonex.
 Top of the page
tronic Page Icon Posted 2005-09-05 3:03 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Juergen - 2005-09-02 10:13 AM

AFAIK the sig3's sd slot isn't capable of handling i/o extension cards on factory default. There is, however, an update available in docomo's "mobile custom" service which gives your sig3 sdio capability. And even if you don't plan to use io/o cards this update is to be recomended - it's part of a driver update for the built-in ati multifunction chip (graphics controller & sd controller). After installing the update performance of e.g. betaplayer or tcpmp is significantly faster :).

R U sure bSquare has SDIO Now driver or just simply a SDIO port?
 Top of the page
Juergen Page Icon Posted 2005-09-05 5:34 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

tronic - 2005-09-05 3:03 AM

R U sure bSquare has SDIO Now driver or just simply a SDIO port?

I'm not sure, no. I'd assume it has since bsquare invented this "sdio now" thing and socket's sd wifi card seems to work with "maui". Socket claims "sdio now" is necessary to run this card.
Tech_Girl - 2005-09-05 1:43 AM

Its just a matter of connecting to the mobile custom right?

Right . It's not that difficult, however. Connect to the internet, then open "mobile custom" client. Basic configuration is already done, so you don't need to change anything with button "settings". Start with "step 1" and download the catalogue. It takes a while if you call it the first time. After successful creation of your local catalogue data the client jumps to "step 2 open catalogue".
There's a dropdown box in menu bar with four options to select. The first one contains desktop themes and wallpapers, third and forth are only relevant if you want to use Japanese docomo mobile network. The second option is the most interesting containing updates and several additional applications.
Scroll down the list of available downloads and watch for a preview picture on the left side showing "sigmarion III SDIO Now! (plus some Japanese signs)". Mark the checkbox left of this picture and use the button with the floppy disk symbol in menu bar right of the dropdown mentioned before. Now the download is started.
After finishing download the client automatically switches to "step 3 customize". Here you'll see a lot of Japanese, but it's not that difficult, too. First you have to choose the category again. Instead of a dropdown box categories are now organized as tabs. I'm not sure wether you will get all four tabs by default or only one if you've downloaded only from one category. On every tab you see all your "mobile custom" options you've downloaded so far. There's always a list of available packages on the right, the small preview picture on the top left with the Japanese description of the package below. In case you've only downloaded the sdio driver update it shouldn't be that difficult to find . Simply mark the setup package in the list on the right side. To start installation you find two buttons below the list of downloads - click the left one with the "(A)". Now the Japanese licence agreement pops up. You have to confirm this (in good trust not to sell you soul, but who knows? ) using the left button. Installation should start immediatly...

Three more updates might be interesting for you. First there's something like a service pack for sig3 fixing some problem with cf card changes which the device doesn't recognize and a bugfix for internet explorer concerning Japanese text display. The previw picture looks quite similar to the sdio driver update but without the "SDIO Now!". Second and third are both related to usb host port of your sig3, one providing you with a driver for mass storage devices, the other with a human interface device driver which you might need if you want to use a mouse. The preview picture you have to look for in catalogue shows "sigmarion III USB" for both packages.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-05 10:53 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

Juergen - 2005-09-05 11:34 AM

Three more updates might be interesting for you. First there's something like a service pack for sig3 fixing some problem with cf card changes which the device doesn't recognize and a bugfix for internet explorer concerning Japanese text display. The previw picture looks quite similar to the sdio driver update but without the "SDIO Now!". Second and third are both related to usb host port of your sig3, one providing you with a driver for mass storage devices, the other with a human interface device driver which you might need if you want to use a mouse. The preview picture you have to look for in catalogue shows "sigmarion III USB" for both packages.

thanks i thought my CF slot was dying. it won't always see the card immediately (i change cards in it quite frequently). i'll install that update then..
i already installed the sdio update and i think the sig3 is faster now
the other updates.. apart from rdp (and solitaire ), is there anything interesting?

oh a thing is still not clear to me: IE update.. what does it do for me? is it important at all?
 Top of the page
tech_girl Page Icon Posted 2005-09-05 9:32 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Downloaded the updates. But I discovered that my PIE's status bar has changed to Japanese. Its not really a biggie but I would like it to be in English as before.

By the way what are the functionality of the other updates?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-05 10:25 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

no translation is there for the updated IE at least i don't know about it.
i don't mind it as i can navigate even around the whole OS blindly.
(my 900C helped me much with that...)

i would still like to know if this update does anything important at all i have not noticed any obvious difference.

other stuff.. remote desktop client is very nice (and you can get it translated along with solitaire), and there are a lot of cool programs, pity they're in japanese. i have no idea about half of the stuff though so someone could help us there i think i'll be able to get a translation of them soon.
 Top of the page
Juergen Page Icon Posted 2005-09-06 4:04 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Most of the stuff available at "mobile custom" unfortunately is only available in Japanese and only usable if you know Japanese. E.g. there is a quite nice spreadsheet application and an extended version of MTide's Gemini PIM suite including a very impressive new mail client. Bad luck Korean software house MTide doesn't do any end-to-end business, their PIM applications IMHO are the best you can get for windows ce. I know there is an English version, too, but no way to buy an ugrade or sidegrade for sig3. I've got a trial version once which works quite well but didn't get any response when I asked for resellers or whatsoever to purchase a full licence.

I don't know of any important updates offered by "mobile custom" other than those four, sorry. The sig3 servicepack contains a bugfix for this cf problem mentioned before, therefore I would recommened download and installation. Afterwards you have to convert internet explorer again as you did the first time. Description text for all those packages are a little short, so I don't know what fixes for ie are really included in this servicepack. The only thing I know of is some problem concerning Japanese text display in the browser.

If somebody wants to babelfish those descriptions: You find all downloaded packages, catalogue and so on on your sig3 in the folder \download data\default. It might be a good idea as well to backup this folder to avoid downloading all that stuff again after a hardreset .
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.281 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 11