x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

CF Case mod for my HPC

DataHaunt
DataHaunt Page Icon Posted 2005-09-01 10:46 PM
#
I’ve been modding my gadgets for a while now (like many of us) but I have the fault of being more interested in function over fluff or just modding for appearance. In fact, I created a portable system for my children to use to play games based on a Mac SE30 case and a mini-itx motherboard. Since it was a functional mod, I received a large amount of criticism not to mention hate mail for “corrupting” a Mac case. Seems it wasn’t pretty enough.

This mod is both stylish (at least I think so) and functional. I was lucky enough to get rid of my laptop and go back to the HPC formatted devices. I have a MP 900C. Even after the reduction in platforms, I hade two microdrives, one SD chip, a wireless CF +128MB card and a 10BaseT card that I carry around for general and average use. The problem was carrying around all these cards loose. The one carrier I had only supported two microdrives and a CF to PCMCIA adaptor. This modded case solves most of that.

The case is thick and rugged, designed for 200LBS load. It is designed to carry four CF cards and two SD cards. On one side, I used a long select-a-size razor blade and cut out the foam within the center. I used the existing CF slots as guides. It only took about five minutes to cut and shape everything since the foam was really soft. The CF card adaptor now fits into a smaller case just for it.

As you can see, the box now accommodates two Microdrives, one CD card, the Wi-Fi and the 10BaseT card. In case anyone in interested, I purchased this box for around $30 on eBay from a company called Fotodiox www.fotodiox.com 1-866-812-1107.

(DSC00017.jpg)

(DSC00020.jpg)

(DSC00021.jpg)

(DSC00022.jpg)

(DSC00023.jpg)

(DSC00026.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC00017.jpg (48KB - 30 downloads)
Attachments DSC00020.jpg (54KB - 25 downloads)
Attachments DSC00021.jpg (46KB - 27 downloads)
Attachments DSC00022.jpg (48KB - 27 downloads)
Attachments DSC00023.jpg (52KB - 24 downloads)
Attachments DSC00026.jpg (51KB - 28 downloads)
 Top of the page
thescreensavers Page Icon Posted 2005-09-18 3:29 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Wana cookie!
.Just kidding

Edited by thescreensavers 2005-09-18 3:30 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-09-18 7:42 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Heh, nice idea. Doesn't it make portability somewhat inaccessible though?
Or do you have a main carry case / bag / satchel that everything goes into?

All my cards have plastic cases that I just slide into pouches in the (tech) case. My corp case (thanks Clint!) doesn't have room, but when I'm in that mode - I don't need to carry everything.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 59 - Executed queries : 10