x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Cellular Internet Access Options for J720?

1 2
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2005-09-01 11:29 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I have a Jornada 720 that I would really like to get online via one of the cellular internet access options (EVDO, 1xRTT, EDGE). I have access the internet using my Sony Ericsson T610 talking to my Jornada via IRDA, but GPRS was a very unsatisfying experience. Latencies were high and bandwidth was slow, when I could get online at all. I heard that t-mobile is now offering EDGE across most of their network, which is supposed to be at least a couple times faster than GPRS. I have been investigating Sprint and Verizon's EVDO and 1xRTT offerings, which are definitely faster, but come at a pretty high price point ($60 for 1xRTT, $80 for EVDO) and details about what cards/phones would work with my Jornada are sketchy. T-mobile's unlimited access plan is only $20/month (as I am a current phone subscriber). I would be really interested in hearing what combination of phones/cards/service providers have worked well for other Jornada users.
 Top of the page
Nick Charlton Page Icon Posted 2005-09-02 4:10 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I've got Bluetooth to my Phone using GPRS, which I never have tried and a Nokia Phone Card 2, which enables me to use normal dial-up ISP's.

Nick
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-09-02 6:19 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Rocketman, which cell phones have you used successfully with the 720, I'd be interested to get them into the HCL if they aren't already,

thanks
 Top of the page
hpcpro Page Icon Posted 2005-09-02 10:32 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

All cellulars phone with a IrDA work perfect with a HPC.
I had several Nokia phones,SonyEriccson,Siemens, all work perfect.
On my first HPC page I posted a few years ago a how to about internet with an HPC and a mobile phone.All the questions about it were solve satisfatorily with any mobile phone.
http://personal.telefonica.terra.es/web/joseromero1973/gsm.html
http://personal.telefonica.terra.es/web/joseromero1973/s45.html

Recently I´ve received a consultation about this at Zona Handheld forum a few days ago. I answered him with these links. I´ve not listenned never any comment about a mobile phone with Irda that has problems with the HPC. Except Irda broken problems. All people got the connection.

And with the PCMCIA Bluetooth is the same case. No problems with mobile phone and GPS. Only is necessary some times change ports because the default port(COM x) that use these hardwares are taken for another COM X.And configure the dial up to use the modem in the COM Bluettooth.I know people that use it wihout problems.

The configuration is for internet GPRS. Be careful because the GPRS mobile phone configuration is for WAP navigation, not internet navigation. The HPC navigation speed using Irda and a mobile phone is limited to 9,6k/s. Why? The Irda transmit only 9600b/s. Use the HPC to see webs pages is infuriating. We can uncheck load images in internet options to download faster. But for people that use it to emails or messenger is perfect.

HPC wince 2.11 users have to intall the Nokia wince driver.
HPC2000 and new HPCs have the Irda Modem driver included.

Well, I think we can affirm the compatiblity between HPC and mobile phone is practically 100% except strange exceptions.

Edited by hpcpro 2005-09-02 11:01 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-09-02 1:35 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I have encountered several phones that wouldn't work with the hp driver and with the hpcfactor genirda driver. So your system is flawed.

I also would avoid using the Nokia one, as it makes a mess of the reigstry, under CE2.0 anyway. The Joranda devices have hp's IrDA driver, it's not a HPC2000 driver. Whether other OEM's added their own is not always a given. Hence why we released the GenIrDA driver.

They may well have needed additional dial string settings that I didn't have access to, but that is why they need to go into the HCL so we can alert users.
 Top of the page
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2005-09-02 3:42 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

This thread has gotten a bit off track. I have already been able to do GPRS via my Sony Ericcson T610 (using the HPC Factor IRDA driver) for quite some time...and it sucks. I am looking for people that have experience using 1xRTT, EVDO and EDGE with their Jornadas, specifically what hardware (phones & aircards) and providers they have been able to get working.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-02 5:20 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

well. every phone should work with every pda, in theory. in practice there are some strange phones for example the SE K700i looks like it's incompatible with the jornada 720. of course i mean irda. bluetooth works fine with the K700i.
give me a little time and i'll submit some phones with their correct init strings.. sometimes even the dialing pattern matters!
but most phones should be no real problem especially over bluetooth

about gprs is it a common belief it's limited to 9600 bps? currently i'm on gprs and it works at 30 kbps at least. it could be faster if i wasn't too lazy to update my T39's firmware

edge is the same thing as gprs it's just faster.
 Top of the page
hpcpro Page Icon Posted 2005-09-02 8:28 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Not all mobile phone works with HPC, I know it.
But the 99% work.

The HCL refered to mobile phone will be a long,long,very long list.
ok.

I open a post at Zona Handheld about mobile phone compatibility with HPC. I will copy here the results.

Can we supose for example that a mobile phone that works on HP680 can work on a HP720? I know they use diferents drivers but.. can we supose a mobile phone that works in HPC old models will work in new HPC models?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-09-03 7:23 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

As an example I've never got the Nokia 6310 working with any H/PC or any driver. I have tried different handsets also.

The crucial thing when testing phones is whether it works over GSM with a a data enabled account. Yes it's only 9600bps, but there is a good reason for it.

Both GPRS and EDGE are based on the GSM protocol. Where as 3G is a different kettle of fish. If GSM works (and it is the easiest to get working to begin with, no GPRS dial string needed) then so long as you can get the strings for GPRS or EDGE it will work with them.

Jose, I don't like to assume. Especially when it's cross driver. If a phone works with the HPC:Factor GenIrDA then that will apply cross platform. You do have to be careful with the hp one though as it makes use of different communication systems not avialable to most devices.

Rocketman,
Our ramblings here may seem off-topic, but we are genuinly trying to broaden the list of handsets that are known to work.
As for providers, it really shouldn't make any difference so long as you have a data package, the correct strings and a handset that will work on your regional band frequency - which from the providers you listed I imagine is going to be the USA.

Please consider placing your location in your user profile, if you're looking to attract help from fellow American users it may help - so far we're all European.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-03 3:36 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2005-09-03 1:23 PM

As an example I've never got the Nokia 6310 working with any H/PC or any driver. I have tried different handsets also.

the 6310i works with the jornada 720 over irda and bluetooth. you just need the correct string. or is the plain 6310 much different?
what other phones have you tried? i might be able to clarify if they really don't work.
 Top of the page
hpcpro Page Icon Posted 2005-09-03 4:44 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I had a heavy error.
Old HPC wince 2.11 has a 9,6K/s Irda and condition the navigation speed by GPRS
The actual HPC has 116K/s Irda. As GPS is 44k/s there a not reduction and the navigation speed will be 44k/s.
Sorry for this error.

In my profile is my city and my country: Barcelona, Spain. European too.

Really the theme is complex.

The different factors:
1. Irda protocol on the mobile phone. Some rare mobile phone use his standard IR.
2. Problems with the Irda Driver for HPCs.
3. Confusion about GPRS-GSM configuration. The HPC need a GPRS internet congiguration(as a portable PC), not GPRS to WAP navigation. GSM call. Diferents dial/connection mode of the internet GSM/GPRS providers.
5. Diferents HPC and problems.
6. .........

I´m sorry for the HP reference. Sometimes I forget there are others HPC and turn to the same error.I never used a Nec(MIPS) or others. I asume the majority of my knowledge are very center to the HP HPCs(SH3,ARM) because I have always HP. In Spain or SouthAmerica are very centralized in SH3 and ARM. These platforms ocuppy the majority part of the Zona Handheld question. Sorry again.

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-09-03 5:07 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

cmonex,

I've had H/PC talking to a 6310i also, and have reports from another user on it working (probably you actually )
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-04 2:15 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2005-09-03 11:07 PM

cmonex,

I've had H/PC talking to a 6310i also, and have reports from another user on it working (probably you actually )

so you were successful with the 6310i, weren't you? if you weren't it was just a question of the correct string.
if the report is in the HCL that wasn't me, sorry

what other phones caused you problems?
 Top of the page
vjurkas Page Icon Posted 2005-09-07 4:32 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

hpcpro - 2005-09-03 2:28 AM

Not all mobile phone works with HPC, I know it.
But the 99% work.

The HCL refered to mobile phone will be a long,long,very long list.
ok.

C:Amie, try with a black list instead! It would be shorter.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-07 7:13 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

vjurkas - 2005-09-07 10:32 PM

C:Amie, try with a black list instead! It would be shorter.

yeah good idea for the CF card list also..
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.343 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 12