x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Cellular Internet Access Options for J720?

1 2
nuk3r
nuk3r Page Icon Posted 2006-03-07 5:23 PM
#
Hey .. new around.
I have a j720 and i tryed to connect a nokia 6600 , 3650, k500 , k700 .. none works .. with the same erorr
none carrier detected ... check phone number.
I use the same string options that works on pc with the phones that i mentioned.. but still nothing.
Can u advice me?
 Top of the page
wb0gaz Page Icon Posted 2006-03-07 10:36 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I just was issued a NOKIA 6682 with Cingular (US) service. The 6682 has bluetooth and dial-up networking. I resurrected my Jornada 720 and Socket Communications bluetooth compact flash card version "F". It worked on the first try - just go through the "get connected" wizard in the Socket software, choose the unspecified phone (the Nokia 6682 is not among the few phones specifically mentioned, and the software is quite old anyway) and it will go through the search and bonding procedure. The dial up "number" is *99#, user ID is WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM and the password is CINGULAR1 (in all cases I believe upper case is important), with nothing added in the field for extra dialing parameters. I don't believe there is a specific setting for EDGE (vs. GPRS); I found that in a good coverage area it was receiving about 130 kbps and transmitting about 70kbps, dropping to about 30 kbps (receiving) in marginal coverage (inside a building.) I had previously been using a Sony Ericsson T68 with T-Mobile (US) and the procedure was similar, although the dialing "number" was different and max speed was ~40 kbps. As an aside, I notice even with EDGE on Cingular that there is the severe end-to-end lag, no real improvement from GPRS, although the bit rate is better for long file transfers. One other comment - in all cases I got the Jornada working by first using the provider's supplied software for dial-up access via cell phone, then copying the dialing parameters installed on a windows machine over to the Jornada's dialer. In the case of the Nokia 6682, Nokia's dialer setup generated some content in the "extra commands" dial-up field which worked in USB hookup (with a windows PC) but *not* with bluetooth; eventually I stumbled on additional information that lead me to eliminate those commands and that got it going on Bluetooth on the PC, then on to the Jornada 720 with no further difficulty.

Also FYI I use a Verizon EVDO (blackberry 7130E) in other situations and that is far faster (about 500 kbps) and much less lag, closer to normal wired DSL experience. Unfortunately Verizon/Blackberry did not include bluetooth DUN profile so only solution is USB port which rules out the Jornada.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-08 12:46 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

wow ive been considering the 668x anyway.. good news that it doesnt need an extra string!!

whats this about verizon not providing bluetooth dun?? just try it the same way (may need different dial number) as with the nokia...
 Top of the page
nuk3r Page Icon Posted 2006-03-08 2:51 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Does anyone know why i can't connect any phone to my jornada 720? i use the same settings like in the PC and with the hpc driver. (
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-10 6:34 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

nuk3r - 2006-03-08 8:51 PM

Does anyone know why i can't connect any phone to my jornada 720? i use the same settings like in the PC and with the hpc driver. (

what are those settings exactly?

exact error message(s)?

then we may know.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 60 - Executed queries : 10