x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

SL4-MP789 1st Impressions

wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-09-02 12:12 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I received my SL4 and MP789 today. ( I figure a 780 with a 790 ROM is now a 789 )

I haven't been this excited since my first 6651 arrived. It was like Christmas for me and my g/f.

This little overview is just going to cover the look and feel aspect of the units. I only fired the SL4 long enough to see what OS was installed. Tomorrow, after a night on their chargers I'll get into the operation aspect.

Let's start with the MP789. White is a beautiful color for the unit. No-success did a really nice job painting the unit. The contrast with the black trim is outstanding. My g/f loves the white, she thinks it's so much better than drab corporate black.

The 7x0 series is really sleek and smooth. Everything seems well laid out in a thoughtful fashion. There's enough doors and latches and buttons to amuse anyone. and thankfully, no card slots on the bottom of the machine. (I'll admit the CF on the bottom of the 690 is novel, but it was a pain to switch cards and of course forget using anything but memory in the slot). The front mounted CF on the MP is

I'll admit the 7x0 series, being longer than my 6651, and less depth than my 6651, are really well proportioned. They're both so close in thickness it doesn't matter. I prefer the form factor of the MP already.

The 7x0 keyboard size is awesome. It's just that much bigger than the 6651but larger enough to make typing very easy, and with less errors than my 6651. The touch is nice and crisp. It feels to me like I'm using a desktop board.

I find the stylus is in a weird place compared to my 6651. I'm so used to having the well at the top of the screen (ppc & 6651) that the MP location doesn't seem proper to me. However, the 6651 stylus is prone to dropping out if you carry the machine upside down. (I think there was a little o-ring retainer in the 6651 well that's long since dried out.)

Then again, I thought my 690 had the best stylus storage of any machine I've seen. I love the click and lock of the J series and the J stylus is second to none, like a fine pen.

In short, so far, for ergonomics and looks I can see why the 7x0/900 series are loved by so many. Had I known the MP were so nice in many ways I likely would have gotten one instead of my 6651 as my 1st machine.

But, as a noob shopper with enough confusing stuff as it was (ce211, hpc2k, .net, arm, mips, sh3, xscale) I ignored NEC because I couldn't figure out clearly the differences between the 770/780/790/900 machines. And I wanted USB which I've used a lot so I got the 6651.

Now, onto the SL4. My first impression? LOVE IT! Even before I took it from the bubble wrap. It looked so sleek and efficient with no lumps or bumps or redundant bits. It reminds me of something Porsche would design. It's neat and clean styling without any chintzy chrome bits. (Apologies to lovers of early 60's Detroit iron.)

Everything falls to hand properly, even tho' I'm a lefty. I love the screen size, but wish the overall dimensions were smaller. In theory, can't they build to the size of the screen with a few extra mm on each side? They could locate buttons or switches on the unit sides.

But I digress, it's as small and light as my Amity tablet (which I love dearly and would use far more if it had ce convenience).

I fired up the SL4 long enough to determine the OS, hpc2k. OK, that's a devil I know. In that short time I noticed the screen, while very good, wasn't as bright or contasty as my 6651. It should improve if I fiddle with the settings for it.

I was amazed that only 604Kb of ram was used. (I'm assuming it was hard reset). My only initial complaint is opening and closing windows seems slow, kind of herky jerky. I'm sure I'll sort that out.

Nothing will come close to the amazing small size of the 6x0/7x0 series. I'll admit I'd love to have their form factor with USB hosting, a camera and a keyboard like a MP. But of course that's impossible.

I love the diversity of the hpc world. It's so unique, not the "me-too" approach of desktops or laptops. There's been nothing in the desktop world in the last few years that's elicited more than a yawn from me. But here I sit with old hpc gear, grinning from ear to ear.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-09-02 1:11 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Good stuff wally.

Yeah the MP keyboard is good enough to replace a desktop. I never owned one, but I did play with my friend's MP780 for a while.

I really wonder what the SL4 is like tho. Never a big fan of keyboard-less devices, like the PPC. I keep thinking "read-only surfing"

BTW, desktop designs... I think the Vaio tower with the empty slot in the middle is quite cool, and much better than any custom case I have seen. HP has made a Media PC that looks like a way-oversized DVD player, which is not too bad either. The PowerMac G5 has cool details, but still looks like a cheap case overall. On the other hand, the latest iMacs and the Mac Mini are truely beautiful
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-09-02 7:00 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Excellent expression of your feelings and views there my man, I look forward to hearing more on your (and your other half's) experiments.

For those who are curious, no-success posted some images here:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1406&start=1

Can I ask what your plans for having both the NEC and the T/PC are. Did you have roles in mind for both?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-02 5:54 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

wallythacker - 2005-09-02 6:12 AM

In short, so far, for ergonomics and looks I can see why the 7x0/900 series are loved by so many.

exactly,,, i see you get it now!!

Nothing will come close to the amazing small size of the 6x0/7x0 series. I'll admit I'd love to have their form factor with USB hosting, a camera and a keyboard like a MP. But of course that's impossible.

yes.... i'm so sad no one manufactures jornadas any more now at least i have the sig3.. it's not a jornada but almost!

Edited by cmonex 2005-09-02 5:56 PM
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-09-02 6:50 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I'm on the MP789 and this thing is fast to navigate. Using the alt direction keys I can really tear around here, There's a lot to be said when your vertical is 240 pixels. It's easy to home in a section of a page.

My g/f has just signed a real life publishing contract without a reputable house. Her specialties are short stories, poetry and childrens books. I got this for her instead of a laptop becuase she can go everywhere with it and write when she has a few moments. She's seen me fighting with laptop cables and gear and size and weight and didn't think much of it.

The SL4 will be primarily a navigation unit in a small aircraft. It will do normal daily tasks as well, but I'm very exicted about the navigation aspects. It's relieving to know one is in the Canadian Shield.

I haven't hard reset the 789 yet. That and building the SL4 are my after dinner tasks!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-09-03 6:44 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

wallythacker,

WOW! What terrific uses. Can't think of any more deserving. I sincerely hope that she gets along with CE and produces her magnum opus with it. Let us know when she gets some works published off the back of it.

Oh, and if you get a chance to snap a SIMpad at 30,000ft. Could be a good one for Takwu's H/PC's out and about photo's thread.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.151 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 11