x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

REQ: (UK) Oh b****r! I need a new screen!

Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2005-09-03 5:47 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

For one MobilePro 780 (financial conditions pending), the machine known as Dino.

I know Dino has a healthy heart and doesn't suffer "foot-in-mouth" diease (spelling?) yet, charges a battery well, still accepts power from anywhere, but she needs some new specs! So, I need a spare part.

Some how, during the assembly, de-assembly process, I damanged the ribbon cable, (ouch!) right by the end that connects the screen to the motherboard on the inside corner (those in the know, will know what I am talking about, especially Mr HPCNEC.com ). The tear goes across 3 lines, 3 very inportant lines, which means I now suffer from a black out!

A a cost per head, what is the price one is willing to sell one of these puppies?

Thank you for reading.

Edited by Wessex_nut 2005-09-03 5:48 PM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2005-09-03 6:28 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Now that does bring a tear to the eyes....
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2005-09-03 6:51 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Rich Hawley - 2005-09-03 11:28 PM

Now that does bring a tear to the eyes....

Tell me about it! Where is the best place to find parts though? Its the screen/cable I need!

BTW, I do appogise for my rudeness, it should of been Mr Hawley! Although I was in a rather sarcastic mood when I wrote it! (Lame excuse?)
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2005-09-03 9:07 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

No apology needed. Mr. Hawley is my dad...I'm just plain old Rich. And I know exactly how you feel. All that careful work and one slip of the fingers and suddenly you are doomed.

The good news is that the ribbon cables from 770-790s are all the same, so if you pick up a broken one for parts, you can fix up your 780 again. I don't have the part number, nor can I remember it, but I ordered one from NEC once about 3 years ago and it was only $15. I had to get the part number from their warranty support area...but now that NEC dropped the Mobilepro...I doubt you can even get parts.

But who knows, you might get lucky in an auction such as 5805199396

Rich
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-09-04 3:59 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Rich Hawley - 2005-09-03 6:07 PM
But who knows, you might get lucky in an auction such as 5805199396

Wow, nice auction. I wonder how much the winning bid will be tho.
 Top of the page
Pete P. Page Icon Posted 2005-09-05 3:35 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I have one in pieces... Good chances it worked if I hadn't taken it apart for aprts BEFORE I knew the latch-button could break and cause the unit to always think it's closed. It can take a charge, and the screen is in excellent condition. PM sent. I dont want much for it at all, just a few buck to cover what I paid for the dead unit, and shipping... I'm in Boston MA USA. I'm not looking to make a profit, no sir-ee, just a happy modder :-) I <3 Case mods 4 lyfe.
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2005-09-09 12:57 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I tried the auctions and I failed. Someone else didn't contact me regarding the screen, so it looks like my painting tutorial and my unit, maybe heading where 99% of all southern slam door trains are heading (Immingham for Scrapping!).

Shame. I liked Dino, I love her even more now that she had that nice paint job done, but what use is a new paint job if I cannot get the ****ing screen to work?

I don't even know where to start for spares anyway.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-09-09 1:15 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

As you're in the UK, you're out of luck dealing with NEC directly. Though it's always worth a stab at Usedhandhelds (.com) to see if they have any service usints or even the entire screen loomb somewhere about the place.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 11