x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Java on Netbook pro

Francus Page Icon Posted 2005-09-04 6:48 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

The staff of gotomypc (remote control and file transfer service) told me that my Netbook pro with win ce.net 4.2 should work and that the problem I have (all controls for file transfer etc. do not work) is due to the lack of Java on my device...

Is Java really lacking non my device? I remember having read specifications of Java being supported on netbook pro and perhaps in standard ce.net.

But if the staff of gotomypc is right and Java is actually not working, is there any way to get Java?

Thanks
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-09-04 7:46 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Java as in the programming language requires a Java runtime (Virtual Machine) to operate. This is something that has never been native to Windows CE. It's not even native to mainstream Windows any more.

It does support Java Scripting, but this is exclusivly for running small scripts in web pages and is a completly different environment from Java - just unfortunetly named that it is confusing.

They a company has written a Windows CE application in Java would be rather odd. What I suggest you do is contact them back and ask them which Windows CE Java runtime they suggest you use.

... OK. I've just looked at the GoToMyPC home page.
Their system isn't a Windows CE software application, it's a web browser Java Applet (a type that requires a Java VM).

You could try Sun Pocket Java.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-04 1:51 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

sun personal java doesn't integrate into IE. i recommend trying netfront 3.0 (hacked for hpc's). or jeode jvm for IE (doesn't need hacking really).
but even then you can't be sure it'll work. they're not compatible with the whole java thing, just a part of it. though netfront is pretty good at java (i'd say better than jeode, at least in my experience).
 Top of the page
Juergen Page Icon Posted 2005-09-04 4:41 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

The Netbook Pro comes with Insignia's Jeode Java EVM included in ROM. I'm no developer, so I don't know what limitations this Java runtime has and where compatibility ends...
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-04 5:04 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

wow it has jeode?

then the only one option left is netfront 3.

oh sorry i remembered creme jvm now. it might integrate into IE. can't remember now.

Edited by cmonex 2005-09-04 5:08 PM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 10