x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Flash back on engadget.com

Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-09-04 8:52 PM
#
H/PC Elder

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000430055334/

Take a trip back to 1985 .... Truly amazing ... ... ... sorry, cannot help it ... but reading those articles brought back some nostalgia ...
 Top of the page
btrimmer Page Icon Posted 2005-09-04 10:15 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

BWAHAHAAA, great stuff! I especially like the article about "unconventional" computer designs of the future.

"One day in the future we’ll all work at 200MHz tower desktops with 9600 baud modems, but until then we’ll just have to keep dreaming. So while we’re just making crap up, how’s about the Flatpanel Computer mockup, by crackpot “unconventional” designer Jim Leftwich. One little doozy of a pipe dream the computer actually has a flat screen. Whatever, Jim, it’ll happen one day, we so believe you."

Writing this on his 3.06 GHz Pentium 4 desktop with 5 Mbit Cable modem and 17" flat-panel display.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-09-05 3:08 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Ah, I just saw this a few days ago. For seeing how much had advanced since 1976 to 1985, I would expect them to have believed a bit more than they did.
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2005-09-05 6:54 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

WOW!!! And those mobile phones reminds me of the size of my fathers Motorola 2600 that he had at the time, very useful for hitting aggressive people on the train with, perfect way you launch revenge, should they try to slam the door in your face, swing round then "BOP", "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOUCCCCCCCCCCHHHHH!!!". That thing was bloody heavy, but even a 3 - 9 year old like me at the time could carry the phone that came as car phone and some lead acid battries! Oh to make matters worse, it hada power raiting of 10MW transmission, meaning that it worked almost anywhere, including deep in the "Louve", the French security guards I think he said, were joking about that thing ringing, probably the words were "That'll never work in here", "you're right there", "wouldn't it be funny if it rang", "thats if it did", "hahahahaha", that was until it rang, where theirs didn't, so the joke is on them!
Now ever since I saw the first mobile phone, probably the only one in the area, I have one that is tiny. Its like that motorola that has been washed for the last 10 years in cold water, then somehow shrunk to about 1/50th of its size! My mobile I can literly wrap my hands around it and my hands cover the entire surface! (when closed of course!).

Oh and I can remember when 286's were the cutting edge technology at the time, it was like the best thing going!
Oh, that article, you do realise it was made 5 months and 7 days before I was born?

Edited by Wessex_nut 2005-09-05 6:59 AM
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-11-05 1:07 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

10MW?! If they are talking about radiation risks on current cell phones, they have no idea how bad it used to be.

My dad had a car phone quite a while ago, although it never seemed to work. Then we got that cellular one phone, which worked in the woods! My current one cannot do that, and there are many more antennas out there now! My guess for this is that they used analog signal, not digital, and had a much larger range. Takes up a lot more power, though. For all of those people that think they can hang up on someone by making scratching noises, they are not thinking properly, because a digital signal will not make those sounds while disconnecting! It will just be lost!
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.236 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 9