x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

OCR on CE (preferably .net)

tronic Page Icon Posted 2005-09-04 11:02 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Does anyone know any Optical Character Recognition software for windows ce, especially ce .net?
 Top of the page
Uncle Ben Page Icon Posted 2005-09-06 4:26 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Humm ... Let's make sure first that we're talking about the same thin. OCR, in my book, is about scanning a typewritten document, and the OCR software attempts to translate the scanned document into an editable, on-screen document, complete with comlumns, graphics, etc.

If this is what you're looking for, to the best of my knowledge, there is no OCR software or hardware that will work with WCE devices.

Uncle Ben
 Top of the page
tronic Page Icon Posted 2005-09-07 3:55 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

That's exactly what I mean. It don't have to be that good (complete with comlumns, graphics, etc). Too bad there's no software for it. The new sharp mobile phone line have the built in ocr capability so you can take a picture of a document, convert it to text and send it through sms, isn't that cool. I'm thinking we could have the same capability with the combination of mobile phone with camera & a pda
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-09-07 5:43 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Hey that's actually a cool idea. I sometimes take pictures of texts with my phone too, and then just read it as a picture - not very legible and no editing

I guess the lack of camera or scanner for CE devices is why no one has bothered to create an OCR software. The only HPC with a camera is the Intermec 6651, and there are about three non-phone PPCs with cameras so far. However, since there are a lot of PPC Phones and Smartphones with cameras now, perhaps it is just a matter of time before someone creates such software on this platform
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-07 7:13 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

even the jornada 720 can use a special cf camera. and older sharp hpc's as well.
anyway.. none of these are suitable for OCR imo... nor is the intermec camera.
 Top of the page
tronic Page Icon Posted 2005-09-08 12:33 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

What bout using 1.3mp camera from lifeview or pretec, I guess they are good enough to capture text. But anyway, I'm using K750i and Bsquare Power Handheld. Yup there's have been so many model of PPC Phone with camera. I guess I could have more luck to find OCR on PPC, and then try to find a way to run it on HPC. Any one knows OCR on PPC?
 Top of the page
Uncle Ben Page Icon Posted 2005-09-09 3:59 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

tronic - 2005-09-08 12:33 AM

What bout using 1.3mp camera from lifeview or pretec, I guess they are good enough to capture text. But anyway, I'm using K750i and Bsquare Power Handheld. Yup there's have been so many model of PPC Phone with camera. I guess I could have more luck to find OCR on PPC, and then try to find a way to run it on HPC. Any one knows OCR on PPC?

The amount of pixel is not relevant here, I don't think. What you need is a software package that can read the scan/pic and translate it to text. To the best of my knowledge, there is no such software available for Windows CE or NET.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 9