x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

VPN Client Software and general questions about such things

Stealthsa Page Icon Posted 2005-09-09 5:11 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Well the wireless card finally works, and very well at that. My Jorny 680e is a regular little internet and program powerhouse. I love this thing, its the best 100 bucks I ever spent. In any event I have one final problem to overcome before being completely happy in college. For whatever reason, no matter where you are or anything, to use the wireless signal in my college (Stony Brook, NY) you must install VPN client software. WEll well well, of course the regular software doesn't work on my jorny. They issue you a name and password and such, now I'm a real beginner to VPN's and encryption for wireless signals so I was wondering A) Is there any VPN client software out there supporting CE 2.11, would just any client software work or does it have to be specific? and B) If I could get the WEP key (Which in my understanding, <insert newb> that has something to do with the algorythm used to encrypt the signal) would I be able to use the onboard software (go into my wireless card's software and click Encrption On, insert the WEP key and stuff) and be able to go on for there? I realize the potential for laughs about my state of newb is sizeable, but everyone has to start somewhere right? Thanks again guys

-Sal
 Top of the page
Stealthsa Page Icon Posted 2005-09-09 5:40 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Also, as an added note, I have a copy of the VPN client file they distribute with all the settings intact.... I can look at all the files individually yet I don't know the significance of all the information. I hope that helps? Thanks guys

-Sal
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-09 6:21 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

hello ,

vpn - i'm afraid that isn't really possible unless one of the hpc2000 VPN clients (there are two of them and they're actually working, at least one of them does for sure) has a hpc pro version.
wep has nothing to do with vpn.
but you can use wep on your jorny in any case.
 Top of the page
Stealthsa Page Icon Posted 2005-09-09 10:40 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

What is a wep?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-09-10 8:48 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Wireless Encryption Protocol - First generation WiFi (horrifically inadequate) security for peer to peer/client server data streams. Usually 40-bit, 64-bit or 128-bit. It's the only security system supported on any H/PC under CE4.

The next step up is WPA:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/h/0029.asp
 Top of the page
Stealthsa Page Icon Posted 2005-09-10 7:52 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

DOH!, guess its all hardwiredinternet for me

Well... in school anyway, Thanks a ton you all.

-Sal
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 12