x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

arrrghhh....help with 720

Macros746 Page Icon Posted 2005-09-11 4:53 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Installing adobe 2.0 onto my 720 I got a couple of odd errors. I did a soft reset and now I get "Cannot find Pocketswap (or one of it's components). ,,,," and the thing freezes. The touch screen doesn't respond and the keyboard doesn't either. I've tried resetting repeatedly and the same thing happens. Is there any way to solve this error without a hard reset? I can't even turn it off manually (If I remove the battery the power goes off)

Help,
Macros

Edited by Macros746 2005-09-11 4:57 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-09-11 8:19 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Macros,

Are you positive that you installed the Acrobat 2.0 redist? This is behaviour that I might expect from the 1.0 redist - giving application errors - but the 2.0 has been fixed.
Look under \windows for the presence of mfcce300.dll, aygshell.dll, doclist.dll. If they exist delete them - for the MFCCE300 you may get a 'cannot delete files in ROM error' - if you do, this is the correct behaviour that we are looking for.

On the flip side touch screen issues are not something that should occur from installing the redist... so may be you've experienced RAM corruption.

What happens if you uninstall it?
 Top of the page
Macros746 Page Icon Posted 2005-09-11 10:05 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Amie,
thanks for the response. Yes, I downloaded and installed the Acrobat 2.0 package from the downloads section here at HPC Factor. As to the checking of the files...I'd love to but I can't access them. The system freezes after 'waking'. That is what I mean by the screen and keyboard not responding. I'm positive that a hard reset will fix this...and I'll do that if I have to...but is there something like a 'safe mode' for Windows CE? F8?

Thanks,
Macros
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-09-11 11:16 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

No there isn't a safe mode for it.
If something unsavoury is loading at boot, its shortcut will be in \windows\startup

Other than that, a hard reset will probably be the fastest course of action here. I still doubt that Acrobat caused this - though if it were corruption it may well have been the catalyst.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-11 1:08 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

there wasn't any corruption, the problem is that Pocketswap (i just looked up what this software does) and acrobat reader didn't like each other.

it'll be just a guess, but probably pocketswap uses the hpc mfcce300 and as it is already in the startup folder (guessing here) it simply wasn't able to run with the ppc mfcce300.

i had a similar problem with resinfo it always forced me to do a hard reset if it wasn't able to run at startup. with the same error message. probably i was the fool there, installing it on CF (can't remember but that could have been the problem).

so i'd recommend hexediting acrobat reader for some ppl.. it can be downloaded from my site, http://izemize.fw.hu/hpc.php but it is not so legal as the hpcfactor redist, of course.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-09-11 3:15 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The 2.0 redist doesn't install the stubs into \windows, they're put in with the .exe. So nothing from the acrobat install is getting in the way.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-11 4:18 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

oh, right (unless he put acrobat reader in startup )

then pocketswap might have been installed on a storage card
 Top of the page
Macros746 Page Icon Posted 2005-09-11 7:08 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Thanks for all your help all,
I decided to just go with the hard reset. Everything seems to be fine...now I just need to figure out what to reinstall and what I can just leave on the CF card and run from there. I know I have to reinstall the windows updates and my wireless driver...is there anything else that MUST be installed into regular memory? I'm going to give Adobe another shot and get rid of pocketswap...it was cool but wholly extraneous.

Thanks for the help as always...

Macros
 Top of the page
Macros746 Page Icon Posted 2005-09-11 8:25 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

An interesting development....I reinstalled everything (haven't done pocketswap OR Adobe yet) and When I reset I don't have a Handheld PC or a recycle bin icon on the desktop. I would really like those to be back....any suggestions?

Arrrrghh?

Macros
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-09-11 9:52 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Do a reset again, but this time let it sit for at least a half hour without the battery or backup battery in it.

If that doesn't help, there may be other problems.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 10