x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

New to programming

1 2 3 4
tech_girl Page Icon Posted 2005-09-12 1:58 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Hi all. I have recently started uni and needs some help here.

I've started on c# and java later this year. I've installed Visual Studio 2003 in my laptop and have done some simple programs. So pls bear with me.

I'm thinking of installing VS2003 or something similar to my S3 and J720 so that I dont have to drag my laptop to uni. So if the respective SDKs are installed in the machines, can I installed VS 2003? Or is there a mini VS or some smiliar software around that allows me to write and compile c# and java.

For the 4.1 SDK, can I use the one from Advantech?

TIA!

Edited by tech_girl 2005-09-12 2:00 AM
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2005-09-12 3:31 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

To develop for Windows CE, you've got a few options. By far the best and most well supported is to use Embedded Visual C++ with the appropriate SDK - unfortunately this runs on a PC, not on Windows CE so you will need some host on which to compile.

FOr C#, you need to develop using Visual Studio as you know. You'll need to get the appropriate SDK for your machine (I think only WinCE .NET is supported, so you'll be OK developing for the SIg3, but not for the 720). The Advantech one won't do, as it targets the wrong processor - use the Samsung Nexio one that's available here as that's a 4.1 device with an arm processor in it.

For Java, I must admit that I don't know if there's any compilers available to run natively on ARM/WinCE but I would imagine that someone out there has made something available - it's definitely worth a google.

Another option is to use Mamaich's GCC compiler for WinCE/ARM, but that is not a terribly friendly thing to use in my experience - I gave up getting it to work, and just am sticking with EVC. And that'll only compile languages supported by GCC, not C# nor Java...

Good luck!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-12 9:10 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

there's an SDK for the sig3... if only i could fill out the form for the free download. it's in japanese

java.. hm maybe the personal java ide, sorry if i remember wrong. but if i start pjava (not with programming in mind.. just as a user) that freezes the whole sig3. if only i knew why. i'll try to look at it... it runs fine on ce.net 4.2 on the MP900C.

gcc - so, does it run on ce.net? i'm sure it's not an option for a beginner but i'm interested
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2005-09-12 10:06 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

The Nexio is a 4.1SDK targeting ARM. It'll be exceptionally close to the SigIII SDK. If you have a link for the Sig3 SDK, post it and I'll see if I can get a translation of the form to fill in

GCC should run, but I never had the patience or inclination to get it working . YMMV
 Top of the page
tech_girl Page Icon Posted 2005-09-12 11:13 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Thanks for the info, guys.

Cmonex: Is this the download that you are talking about (https://www.pdabiz.jp/technical/SDK/dl.html)? My laptop doesnt display Japanese, so it came up gibberish. I will have a look with the S3 to see if I can deduce something, if anything .

It would be great if you can get it translated somehow, Chiark. Otherwise I may just download the Nexio SDK and hopefully it works.

One question, there is no question of me using the Visual Studio 2003 so long as the SDK is downloaded, right? And can I download it to a CF card and use it from there?

Top of the page
wikoh Page Icon Posted 2005-09-12 12:30 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

You can't use VS 2003 on the J720 or any other CE device, and unfortunately there's no other graphical drop-and-adopt designer/IDE for the platform that I know about. Perhaps because the small screens of these devices disourages working long hours (as when developing). Working directly on the machine, you're limited to using source text and a command-line compiler.

Which, I think sometimes, might not be so terrible as one first thinks? Any good available C# compilers for CE3&ARM?

That reminds me what I why I mainly entered this thread:
Someone said " so you'll be OK developing for the SIg3, but not for the 720"

You can develop in C# for J720! I have done it, only a tiny program that gives a GUI to the.NET compact FW's Regex classes, but the important thing is that compact dotnet fw 1.0 *does* work on it. Downloading it, you'll get a CAB titled something with PPC3 (pocket pc, wince 3) and ARM. The CAB can be tapped to install on the J720.

Some thigs expected to work on other wince will not work on the j720 however. The webbrowsing thru htmlview.dll never works for me.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-12 2:51 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

chiark - 2005-09-12 4:06 PM

The Nexio is a 4.1SDK targeting ARM. It'll be exceptionally close to the SigIII SDK. If you have a link for the Sig3 SDK, post it and I'll see if I can get a translation of the form to fill in

GCC should run, but I never had the patience or inclination to get it working . YMMV

it is http://www.pdabiz.jp/technical/SDK/sig3.html as techgirl said

what is YMMV

Top of the page
Dexxta
Dexxta Page Icon Posted 2005-09-12 5:29 PM
#
There is a code editor for CE called CEdit by Logical Sky. It WILL NOT COMPILE apps though, its just an editor, and from what I remember its expensive but will open VS project files at least from VS6. Not sure about VS.NET cause it went to solutions instead of workspaces, so dont know if it opens them.

But, it WILL NOT compile apps, just let you work on the code. Its syntax highlighting though.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2005-09-12 5:57 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Top of the page
Dexxta
Dexxta Page Icon Posted 2005-09-12 6:16 PM
#
I just went and had a shower and found myself thinking, why do the schools insist on teaching Java and now C#? I personaly think its cause the teachers dont realy know how to code something decent themselves anymore, or at least some of them.

What happened to teaching a real language? Dont tell me they teach it for portability, Java is like a bucket of puke, and c# is portable as long as its an MS OS with .NET...

Doesnt anyone code for real anymore? What do all these university grads do with their Java and C# skills? I know, they go work at Wallmart, or KMart, or Starbucks... This makes me angry, why arent they teaching C++ or ASM anymore?

Im sorry for the rant, I realy love all the languages as long as they are C/C++, I just feel like its backwards, teaching C# with the idea that it leads to better coding. They should teach C++ with the idea that if you can code that you can do anything.

BOOM *Head explodes*
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-12 6:22 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

stingraze - 2005-09-12 11:57 PM

hey. i'm even more grateful to you now!!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-12 6:26 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Dexxta - 2005-09-13 12:16 AM

They should teach C++ with the idea that if you can code that you can do anything.

BOOM *Head explodes*

oh yeah.. i still don't know programming but i want to start with C++ right away
so at least i've not gone mad
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2005-09-12 7:39 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Does anyone here do any programming in NS Basic, or has created an NS Basic program for their HPC?

Rich
 Top of the page
Dexxta
Dexxta Page Icon Posted 2005-09-12 8:05 PM
#
Was going to start a new thread about what you code in and how you got there, but I thought "New to Programming" would suit seeing as this is where people are going to start looking for help (Or so I assume ).

I started coding when I was about 8 or 9 on a Z80 (I think it was anyway, memory fades). Then moved to C64 but that got a little more complicated. Once I got a 386 things went insane and I gave it up for a long time.
When I was about 23 or so I started coding in DOS in C and wrote a few silly games, did some coding for work (im not a coder profesisonaly) to keep my hands clean for a few days, and finaly moved to windows.
At first looking at coding windows is VERY daunting, especialy in C, so I went from Turbo C, to VB5, then Borland C builder, back to VB6, and finaly to C++. I did some PLC coding in there somewhere too and finaly after about 8 years I could code windows in C/C++. I do not like to use MFC, ATL, STD's [jk] or any other bulkware.

Finaly I had an idea that was rather cool, and I wrote it, and even got venture capital to finance it Soooo that leaves me at home now, looking after the kids while the wife builds her new career. I code when I want to, have some projects going for HPC, have just started writing a 3D engine for a game I want to write over the next year or two.

If anyone is using IRC still we could get a channel going somewhere so we can all get together and chat about coding, support each other supporting this awesome platform. That would inspire me to finish this IRC client too LOL. It could help the new people learn by having somewhere they can ask questions, and give the others somewhere to chat and blah now Im raving again... LOL Anyway, anyone interested in organising this?

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-12 9:25 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

hey Dexxta, very good idea
yeah i use irc. so we can start that channel just not on undernet please ircce doesn't work with it and i couldn't get the java irc running on the sigmarion III so far (only on j728 or 900C).
i already have a question as being new to programming. would it be a good idea to start coding with/for hpc's? not on an hpc (that's not easy for a beginner!), but for hpc's.

Edited by cmonex 2005-09-12 9:27 PM
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 10