x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

New to programming

1 2 3 4
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-09-12 9:53 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Babefish.
 Top of the page
Dexxta
Dexxta Page Icon Posted 2005-09-12 10:37 PM
#
Yes, because HPC is a cut down version of the windows API learning to code for the HPC can be a better intro to learning windows coding. I know that my HPC (or actualy PPC coding) has lead to becoming more familiar with dexktop coding.

Basicly once you know how to code the HPC you will be able to take that to VS and code for the desktop without blinking.

I recomend the Boling book, "Programming microsoft windows CE" Second edition. It will teach you everything you need to know to get a window up and running, and doing something too.

Top of the page
Jornada Queen Page Icon Posted 2005-09-12 10:56 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Dexxta, I'd be interested in the meetups on irc- would be nice to have some extra brains to pick.
 Top of the page
Zapper Page Icon Posted 2005-09-12 11:36 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Dexxta - 2005-09-12 6:16 PM

c# is portable as long as its an MS OS with .NET...

Actually, no. You can develop and run .NET on Linux, BSD, Solaris, HP-UX, etc.

http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/standards/Ecma-335.htm

The CLR and container is explicitly defined and open to replicate. If you've the inclination, you could make your own compact framework for basically any handheld platform.

Lots of good info here:

http://www.mono-project.com/Start

Give it enough time to mature, and you can potentially realize the 'code once, execute anywhere' ideal.
 Top of the page
Dexxta
Dexxta Page Icon Posted 2005-09-13 12:12 AM
#
Zapper - 2005-09-13 1:36 PM
The CLR and container is explicitly defined and open to replicate..

I wasnt going to reply, cause I know what an old fuddy I am and how stuck in my ways. But realisticly do you think MS will let anyone make a framework as operational as theirs is? Or if anyone has the time to do it too.
I know it still needs time to mature, but I dont like relying on a framework. I suppose it stems back to my hatred of Java and .NET's closeness to it. Same reasons I dont use MFC and the likes too I assume.

Just ignore my old man rantings..
 Top of the page
tech_girl Page Icon Posted 2005-09-13 11:59 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Special thanks to Stingraze for getting us the S3 SDK. And all the comments about programming. I'm still a newbie at programming and cant really comment on the different languages but hopefully I get more acquaint with these in time to come. That would make me a disciple of sort while hovering around your IRC chat, Dexxta...

I'm not looking to compile big programs on the S3 or J720. Just course assignments during my ride back home which takes one and half hours. I found a C# compiler but its for PPC and have asked Cmonex to take a look at it to see if it could be used on a S3 at least with some hexedit.

If this PPC C# compiler works after some hexedit and with the installation of S3 SDK, I should be on my way...isnt it? At least I hope....

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-13 12:07 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Zapper - 2005-09-13 5:36 AM

Dexxta - 2005-09-12 6:16 PM

c# is portable as long as its an MS OS with .NET...

Actually, no. You can develop and run .NET on Linux, BSD, Solaris, HP-UX, etc.

http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/standards/Ecma-335.htm

The CLR and container is explicitly defined and open to replicate. If you've the inclination, you could make your own compact framework for basically any handheld platform.

Lots of good info here:

http://www.mono-project.com/Start

Give it enough time to mature, and you can potentially realize the 'code once, execute anywhere' ideal.

i've had experience with .net cf and i don't really like it. it is no better than java with regard to compatibility.
so i want to start learning c++, not c# or whatever
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-13 12:47 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Dexxta - 2005-09-13 4:37 AM

Yes, because HPC is a cut down version of the windows API learning to code for the HPC can be a better intro to learning windows coding. I know that my HPC (or actualy PPC coding) has lead to becoming more familiar with dexktop coding.

Basicly once you know how to code the HPC you will be able to take that to VS and code for the desktop without blinking.

I recomend the Boling book, "Programming microsoft windows CE" Second edition. It will teach you everything you need to know to get a window up and running, and doing something too.

that's exactly what i was thinking

boling.. oh yes you're not the first to recommend it i just need to find it somewhere.
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2005-09-14 4:33 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Stingraze, thanks for that!

Cmonex - YMMV = "Your mileage may vary", a standard disclaimer included in advertising when quoting fuel consumption. You have PM regarding boling - I have an old copy of version 2 that I could part with if that would help you.

Dexxta - sounds like you've got a great life with resonances to mine - apart from the vc side of things, and now looking after the kids That sounds hard work to me! Great idea with the chat session, that might really help people get started.

As for "why java or C#", I think it's because they're both well structured OO languages that are ideal for a "teaching" language - it's not like C++ where you can just hack a bit of whatever programming style you want into there, both languages are a great foundation in OO as they enforce OO thinking. It's a hell of a lot better than using Pascal, which is what was used as the introduction to programming at my university 13 years ago .

Top of the page
Dexxta
Dexxta Page Icon Posted 2005-09-14 5:25 AM
#
chiark - 2005-09-14 6:33 PM
As for "why java or C#", I think it's because they're both well structured OO languages that are ideal for a "teaching" language - it's not like C++ where you can just hack a bit of whatever programming style you want into there

Yeh I would have to agree with that, C++ does get messy as hell if you dont watch what your doing. In fact... nm. A very good point.

We had a small crowd in the chat room today, just chatting and getting to know each other. Was real cool to chat to people with similar interests, talking about their cities and stuff cause we were all from wildly different places. Also a little coding chat went on, and a lot of hastling me for the IRC client (Which is kinda sorta working now). Oh and there was 3 of us, if you can call that a small crowd. Hope to see more of you around. Check out the other post for details.

Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2005-09-14 8:21 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

tech_girl - 2005-09-13 1:59 PM

Special thanks to Stingraze for getting us the S3 SDK. And all the comments about programming. I'm still a newbie at programming and cant really comment on the different languages but hopefully I get more acquaint with these in time to come. That would make me a disciple of sort while hovering around your IRC chat, Dexxta...

I'm not looking to compile big programs on the S3 or J720. Just course assignments during my ride back home which takes one and half hours. I found a C# compiler but its for PPC and have asked Cmonex to take a look at it to see if it could be used on a S3 at least with some hexedit.

If this PPC C# compiler works after some hexedit and with the installation of S3 SDK, I should be on my way...isnt it? At least I hope....

ummm... I remember using a Java Virtual Machine that was not from Sun on a HPC... It was... i can't recall.. Try searching the forum on my threads about web browser development.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-14 9:57 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

chiark - 2005-09-14 10:33 AM

Cmonex - YMMV = "Your mileage may vary", a standard disclaimer included in advertising when quoting fuel consumption. You have PM regarding boling - I have an old copy of version 2 that I could part with if that would help you.

As for "why java or C#", I think it's because they're both well structured OO languages that are ideal for a "teaching" language - it's not like C++ where you can just hack a bit of whatever programming style you want into there, both languages are a great foundation in OO as they enforce OO thinking. It's a hell of a lot better than using Pascal, which is what was used as the introduction to programming at my university 13 years ago .

well, i thought it meant PM... but i still haven't got any from you.

or was that YHM which means that

pascal. yay i know what you mean same in my school, ten years ago. didn't really like it at that time...

Edited by cmonex 2005-09-14 10:05 AM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-14 10:00 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

stingraze - 2005-09-14 2:21 PM

ummm... I remember using a Java Virtual Machine that was not from Sun on a HPC... It was... i can't recall.. Try searching the forum on my threads about web browser development.

creme jvm? or something else?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-14 10:01 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

Dexxta - 2005-09-14 11:25 AM

We had a small crowd in the chat room today, just chatting and getting to know each other. Was real cool to chat to people with similar interests, talking about their cities and stuff cause we were all from wildly different places. Also a little coding chat went on, and a lot of hastling me for the IRC client (Which is kinda sorta working now). Oh and there was 3 of us, if you can call that a small crowd. Hope to see more of you around. Check out the other post for details.

yeah it was cool too bad i had to go to sleep
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2005-09-14 6:46 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Now I remember. ewe virtual machine! http://www.ewesoft.com/

It had a browser sample, but it ran too slowly on my MC-R 520
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 10