x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

New to programming

1 2 3 4
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-09-15 5:20 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Dexxta - 2005-09-12 10:12 PM

Zapper - 2005-09-13 1:36 PM
The CLR and container is explicitly defined and open to replicate..

I wasnt going to reply, cause I know what an old fuddy I am and how stuck in my ways. But realisticly do you think MS will let anyone make a framework as operational as theirs is? Or if anyone has the time to do it too.
I know it still needs time to mature, but I dont like relying on a framework. I suppose it stems back to my hatred of Java and .NET's closeness to it. Same reasons I dont use MFC and the likes too I assume.

Just ignore my old man rantings..

From what I know, the CLR or .NET framework is really open for implementation. The strength behind the MS solution is really not just the .NET framework, but the ease of development using the Visual Studio .NET, that integrates all the functionality of writing .NET components into it.

While .NET is often touted to be cross-platform, one of its (other) key strength is in cross-languages. The CLR is the first MS runtime solution that allows disparate languages to use and consume the same system libraries natively, without some arm-twisting.

Having said that, the standard VS.NET IDE comes with VB.NET, VC++, C# ready to go. I think the enterprise or architect version comes with fortran or something. The idea is that developers can leverage whatever language that they are comfortable in, and which may be well suited for certain application, and be able to code seamlessly, consuming both common system libraries/components and user components across languages.

I don't know how the industry took to it, but I think both the cross language and cross platform features are capitalized by customers in general, though mileage may vary. And I believe even when these are implemented, its more often than not, not open for public consumtion, so in most cases, the CLR/.NET cross platform concept dream would remain more or less a dream ...
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2005-09-15 6:58 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

stingraze - 2005-09-14 8:46 PM

Now I remember. ewe virtual machine! http://www.ewesoft.com/

It had a browser sample, but it ran too slowly on my MC-R 520

Because I ran it not compiled, it might have been really slow. If I make it an executable, the browser might be actually fast..
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-15 7:34 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

hehe, everyone would be interested in that browser.
 Top of the page
ShadowMaster Page Icon Posted 2005-11-07 10:27 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Sorry I'm late I still hope I can help.

You can compile C and C++ Code DIRECTLY on your J720 By using mamaich's gcc port.
http://mamaich.kasone.com/fr_pocket.htm
(Seems to be down right now)
Anyway, you need to download the file pgcc.rar from mamaich's website.
There are some dll in a "windows" folder in the archive. You are supposed to copy them to your windows directory but I put them in the bin dir and it works ok.

you can expand the "pgcc" folder anywhere. but if you put it in a placer other than \pgcc then you'll need to modify the sample batch files.
Then get the iphlpapi.dll used for PPC applications in HPCs and put it in the bin folder.
You are ready to compile now
Check the sample batch files provided and gcc --help for further reference about compiling.
There's NO IDE but if u need console apps you won't miss it

And as for Java is concerned, there's a fully functional editor/compiler:
http://www.yetanotherhomepage.com/j7xx/files/pjavawince_javaide.zip

I have both compilers working in my J720.
BTW you can still use some "classic" compilers like TurboC, TurboC++, Pascal, VBDOS, etc by means of a DOS emulator like pDosBox (a poll for a HPC-specific port is being carried here, be sure to vote )
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-11-07 2:19 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

I think pgcc only works on /, which is ram. That would require at least a j728 to compile something, right?
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2005-11-07 3:13 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

It would seem to be possible on the 720, as that's what ShadowMaster is saying...

I tried this a while back and didn't get anywhere, so I might have to try again - it would make some aspects of porting a lot easier!
 Top of the page
ShadowMaster Page Icon Posted 2005-11-08 12:06 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I'm not saying I believe it can be done....... I'm saying that IT CAN BE DONE.....
I Currently HAVE it working... in fact I've made some programming homework on my j720..... compiles slow but it compiles.... and what's better.... the executable DOES work...... and YES... in my good ol' J720
I'll be glad to help anyone into getting the compiler to run properly.....

[EDIT] And I got it working on my CF Card

Edited by ShadowMaster 2005-11-08 12:08 AM
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-11-08 1:32 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Oh. Great.

Well, if other arm compiling is needed, Linux with gcc could also be another option. Something tells me that no one wants that though.

So, how exactly could this help us? Could we compile actual CE binaries, or does that need the microsoft tools?

-Yes, compiling pine (30mb of binaries total) on my 720 took a pretty long time. I think it was about 20 minutes. Not too bad if you think about it, but not exactly speedy either.
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2005-11-08 3:20 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

This is a Good Thing, as it might/will assist with porting efforts - after all, if we can get the toolchain up and working, we might have a better stab at getting stuff ported to the machine...

I'll have a play again today - thanks for the inspiration
 Top of the page
ShadowMaster Page Icon Posted 2005-11-09 9:05 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Could you get it working?
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2005-11-10 4:17 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Unfortunately work conspired against me and I have yet to try... I may get a chance today - thanks for the kick
 Top of the page
ShadowMaster Page Icon Posted 2005-11-13 10:51 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

need another kick?
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-11-13 11:53 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Lol, its been 3 days. Give it some time.
 Top of the page
ShadowMaster Page Icon Posted 2005-12-02 2:01 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I'm ready for a hadouken attack
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-12-03 9:43 AM
#
H/PC Elder

"Sonic-boom"!
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4