x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Horrendous crashes and problems with Textmaker

GBL
GBL Page Icon Posted 2005-09-15 12:02 PM
#
Hi all!
I use Textmaker (newest version) on a Jornada 680e. Although I really like the program, it sometimes crashes in the worst possible way. The computer doesn't respond anymore, the only option is to press the reset button. Sometimes the computer makes a soft reset but sometimes the computer makes a hard reset!! Meaning it reverts itself to factory settings!
That happened twice so far. Thank god I always back up my stuff!
Also, so far I was not able to open a .html or Word for windows 95 file in Textmaker. Even with simple files it just sits there and turns the hourglass. I usually give up after 15 minutes and the only option is to hit the reset button.

Does anybody else have problems with Textmaker?

Thanks
Herbert
 Top of the page
GE
GE Page Icon Posted 2005-09-15 1:21 PM
#
I had some problems with the new version--several people did. If you go tho their website support forum, you should be able to find a post about porblems/ssues with new version. You can post there, describe the problem so they can work on a fix. You can also request to doenload the previous version to use in the meantime. It is a more stable. Several users have taken this approach. They will send you a link pretty quick to download the older version to use.

GE
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-15 5:34 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

well. chances are you don't have much free program ram on your 680. 16 MB isn't too good... textmaker will eat half of it. adjust the ram settings so that programs have more ram. and try to free up as much as you can, for example don't install anything in RAM (except the ones that need to be installed in RAM), only on a storage card.

Edited by cmonex 2005-09-15 5:36 PM
 Top of the page
GE
GE Page Icon Posted 2005-09-15 10:14 PM
#
Cmonex makes a good point that I negelected to mention. It is best to conserve RAM and install on a CF card. This is what I did. I suggest doing this for all your programs. Since you have the 680e, I figure you're a new HPC user like me. At first I installed everything to the HPC and basically used up all my RAM. Later, after learning a bit from here, I set up a CF card as a "hard drive" and reinstalled everything to it in a "Programs" folder. Now I have almost all of my storage on the device conserved for RAM. But don't use it all--you apparently need some to load webpages as I found through trial and error.

You might consider trying to pick up a "690" ROM to install in your 680e. I found a busted 690 parts unit on eBay and was able to pretty much add the ROM as well as recording buttons to my Tigerdirect 680e. Someday I might get up the nerve to try and switch the motherboard altogether to get the modem as well---but not yet.

But there are still problems with the newer verson. I suggest contacting Softmaker--they really were responsive to me when I asked for help.

I suspect Softmaker will release an update soon--if they have not already. I have not checked in a while.

GE
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-15 11:23 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

GE - 2005-09-16 4:14 AM

You might consider trying to pick up a "690" ROM to install in your 680e. I found a busted 690 parts unit on eBay and was able to pretty much add the ROM as well as recording buttons to my Tigerdirect 680e. Someday I might get up the nerve to try and switch the motherboard altogether to get the modem as well---but not yet.

oh well. be very very careful. i have just seen one of my friends wrecking his jornada 720 this way this evening
 Top of the page
tech_girl Page Icon Posted 2005-09-16 12:17 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Received an email from SoftMaker about the updated beta. Download from their website.

Edited by tech_girl 2005-09-16 12:19 AM
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-09-16 12:26 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

please post the info you find... Thanks!
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-09-16 2:56 AM
#
H/PC Elder

What could your friend possibly be trying to upgrade on a 720? Sometimes it's best to leave it alone if it works OK.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-16 10:33 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

wallythacker - 2005-09-16 8:56 AM

What could your friend possibly be trying to upgrade on a 720? Sometimes it's best to leave it alone if it works OK.

he wasn't trying to upgrade it. just tried the rom/ram module from it in a non working 720. well the nonfunctional one worked with it, except for some screen issues but when he put it back in the good one, it would no longer boot.. just the HP boot screen.some screen issues (of another kind) as well.. (before that it was perfect). so that's the sad story
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-16 10:51 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

tech_girl - 2005-09-16 6:17 AM

Received an email from SoftMaker about the updated beta. Download from their website.

hm it's just the windows version so far.
 Top of the page
GBL
GBL Page Icon Posted 2005-09-16 10:58 AM
#
Those crashes had nothing to do with memory. I use a 1GB storage card and install everything on the card. Textmaker has more then 11MB to run. That should be sufficient. Thanks for the tip with the Softmaker forum. The guys from softmaker responded very quickly and sent me a link to an older version. This seems to work fine now.
Ver. 407 of Textmaker seems to have problems with non ARM machines.

Greetings
Herbert
 Top of the page
woodnboats Page Icon Posted 2005-09-19 9:43 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

GBL - 2005-09-16 8:58 AM

Those crashes had nothing to do with memory. I use a 1GB storage card and install everything on the card. Textmaker has more then 11MB to run. That should be sufficient. Thanks for the tip with the Softmaker forum. The guys from softmaker responded very quickly and sent me a link to an older version. This seems to work fine now.
Ver. 407 of Textmaker seems to have problems with non ARM machines.

Greetings
Herbert

You are correct, Herbert. The problem, which Softmaker insists they cannot duplicate, especially seems to affect NEC MP780's and 790's.

Tobias (among others) of their support group will e-mail you an earlier version if you ask for it (although why they don't post on their Textmaker page that the upgrade may not work, as I suggested, I don't know.)

And installing TM in a card (a good idea in any case) will not cure the problem; you need the earlier version of the software.

But be gentle with them; we need more H/PC developers
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 14