x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Jornada 720 keyboard stopped working!

4fingersoffury
4fingersoffury Page Icon Posted 2005-09-17 12:56 PM
#
I turned on the unit today and the keyboard is not working. Only the on/off button works. Is there anything I can do? I was thinking of buying a replacement keyboard for it. Is it difficult to remove?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-09-17 3:42 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

1. Turn the device off, disconenct it from the cradle - while I recommend you remove all batteries, you don't empirically have to do so - your risk

2. Find yourself a T6 screwdriver.

3. Flip the device over onto the lid.

4. Find the three screws along the front edge (nearest the audio buttons) that are marked with little arrows.

5. Remove them

6. Open the device up and you will find that the the keyboard is detached

7. Pull it out fully (detaching the bus cable) and then reseat it into its socket ensuring that you don't touch any exposed circuitry

8. See if the keyboard works
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-17 4:08 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2005-09-17 9:42 PM

Turn the device off, disconenct it from the cradle - while I recommend you remove all batteries, you don't empirically have to do so - your risk

you just recommend it?
one of my friend's jornada 720 almost died because he didn't remove the backup battery before disassembling it.... luckily, it recovered after taking it out and back. but i wouldn't risk it under any circumstances!
anyway the process is really simple yeah
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-09-17 7:42 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Ah well, different level of technical expertise (stupidity(?)). You're taking to someone who's pretty much removed most things from a computer while it's running.

... but of course I recommended it... why wouldn't I?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-18 7:54 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

sorry
 Top of the page
4fingersoffury
4fingersoffury Page Icon Posted 2005-09-18 11:45 AM
#
Thanks for your advice C:Amie. I removed the cable (after much difficulty) and set it back in. The unit will not even turn on now. Do you have any idea why this would have happened? Thanks.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-09-18 11:57 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Right,
either you put it back in incorrectly or the problem is with the bus.

Are you positive you inserted it correctly - lifting the clip
 Top of the page
4fingersoffury
4fingersoffury Page Icon Posted 2005-09-18 12:07 PM
#
I believe so. However, I broke off part of the left clip - I didn't realize how fragile it was. Anyway it appears that everything is set back in place correctly. I was wondering - is the ribbon (cable) supposed to slip out easily or was it supposed to be attached to something? Sorry for these questions but I have never worked on small devices like this. Thanks.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-09-18 12:20 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

No, it should be locked into place
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-09-18 10:36 PM
#
H/PC Elite

As C:Amie said, the keyboard ribbon should be fixed in place, if yours slips easily, then your problem could be the plastic holder you broke.
 Top of the page
4fingersoffury
4fingersoffury Page Icon Posted 2005-09-19 11:36 AM
#
matrixcore - 2005-09-18 10:36 PM

As C:Amie said, the keyboard ribbon should be fixed in place, if yours slips easily, then your problem could be the plastic holder you broke.

I guess I wasn't clear. When I removed the bottom cover for the first time and fidded with the plastic holder (to remove it) the keyboard ribbon just slipped out. I thought that to be odd. I had expected the ribbon to be permanently attached to a clip of some kind which would then attach to the board.

Currently, the ribbon is set firmly in place despite the one broken clip. In any case I'm going to buy another unit and will sell my old one for parts. My wife told me tojust to buy a new one

Thanks for your suggestions, all!
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 9