x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Why my next HPC might not be an HPC

PDXMark Page Icon Posted 2005-09-20 3:39 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Provocative title, I know......

I'm a recent convert to the HPC community, having purchased a refurbished Aero 8000 just a few months ago. I've been mostly pleased with it, though occasionally frustrated when TextMaker or PowerPresent have difficulty with file formatting or graphics. I chose an HPC for 3 reasons: instant on/off, battery life, and size/weight.

Like many of you, however, I try to keep tabs on what's happening in the mobile computing arena, and I recently stumbled across the Fujitsu Lifebook P1500D, which is equipped as follows:

- Convertible form factor (laptop/tablet)
- Touch screen
- 8.9 in. widescreen
- 2.2 lbs/1.3 kg. (lighter than my Aero)
- Up to 7 hours of battery life with the extended battery
- 1.2 GHz Pentium M processor
- 512 MB Ram
- 30 GB hard drive

The entry price isn't bad ($1500), though certainly more expensive than an HPC. The thing that made me take a second look was the size/weight and battery life. About the only remaining advantage for the HPC (at least that I can see) is the instant on/off.

What do you think? Am I being seduced by the dark side, or are the OEM's finally getting the form factor right?
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2005-09-20 3:57 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I think you missed two crucial disadvantages that a tablet/tiny laptop will never overcome.

1. Windows. Patches, updates, more patches and updates, crashes.

2. Field restorability. Most hpcs can be field restored in a couple of minutes.

Discounting the steep (IMO) price of $1500, I'll admit the form factor, weight and features are attractive. In the future when XP is in flash and you have 30gb of flash for storage onboard I might concede the hpc as we know it has had its day.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-20 4:06 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

if you just need (relatively) small size and weight (1.3 isnt that light for me - and not sure how much the extended battery weighs, let alone its size), you'll be fine with the lifebook.. otherwise not
i've just seen a lifebook somewhere and it was very impressive, i really liked it. but my hpc's easily beat it regarding size and weight. but i know there are people who don't like *too* small.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-20 4:34 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

wallythacker - 2005-09-20 9:57 PM

Discounting the steep (IMO) price of $1500, I'll admit the form factor, weight and features are attractive. In the future when XP is in flash and you have 30gb of flash for storage onboard I might concede the hpc as we know it has had its day.

*IF* if gets small enough!
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2005-09-21 8:15 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Your post should be more appropriately named as -

Why my next HPC might be a Laptop!
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-09-26 3:47 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Yeah I already made a thread on the Fujitsu P1500D not long ago.

Like I said this one would be a good choice if I am forced to replace my Sony Picturebook one day. Good stuff
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2005-09-26 4:08 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

If you want instant on, forget a laptop. If you want PDA functionality, forget a laptop. If you want size/weight, forget a laptop .

If you really want a small laptop, consider also the libretto u100 and the JVC mini note range. The sony stuff is great too, but I always balk at paying the Sony premium.

If you can wait, have a look at www.flipstartpc.com - now that looks like the exact machine that I'm looking for, and it has PDA functionality too for the true instant on. It really does appear that there's innovation there, which is a refreshing change.

Another option to consider are the Clamshell Zauruses. I've just got an Sl-C760 and have to say that it's looking exceptionally likely that it'll oust the 720 as my day-to-day PDA. The 728 that is in the post as we speak may change this though.

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-26 12:58 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

chiark - 2005-09-26 10:08 AM

If you want instant on, forget a laptop. If you want PDA functionality, forget a laptop. If you want size/weight, forget a laptop .

If you really want a small laptop, consider also the libretto u100 and the JVC mini note range. The sony stuff is great too, but I always balk at paying the Sony premium.

If you can wait, have a look at www.flipstartpc.com - now that looks like the exact machine that I'm looking for, and it has PDA functionality too for the true instant on. It really does appear that there's innovation there, which is a refreshing change.

Another option to consider are the Clamshell Zauruses. I've just got an Sl-C760 and have to say that it's looking exceptionally likely that it'll oust the 720 as my day-to-day PDA. The 728 that is in the post as we speak may change this though.

hm, does flipstart have instant on?? i doubt it...

zaurus, hm, doesn't the keyboard suck? i thought so by looking at photos more closely.

728... surely it beats the zaurus keyboard
 Top of the page
PDXMark Page Icon Posted 2005-09-26 6:52 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I took a look at the FlipStart, but the thumb keyboard won't work for me; I do too much word processing. Nice concept, though. I like the way the display avoids the need for horizontal scrolling, but I wonder how tough it will be to read the small print...... I also like the LID idea, so you can view PIM information without draining the battery too much.

With a slightly bigger screen and full keyboard, it could work.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-10-18 9:37 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Linux and suspend, no crashing and instant on.
 Top of the page
Jornada 660lx Page Icon Posted 2005-10-20 9:24 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

^only for current linux users^. too complicated for us regulars.

Edited by Jornada 660lx 2005-10-20 9:25 PM
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-10-20 10:41 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Jornada 660lx - 2005-10-20 7:24 PM

^only for current linux users^. too complicated for us regulars.

I have to contend that you are quite right ... based on the forums at oesf.org and my personal experiences, it is proving to be a bit too complicated for regulars ...
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 11