x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Thunderhawk Web Browser Works!!!

1 2
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2005-09-22 4:04 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I recently installed the Thunderhawk web browser on my Jornada 720 and was pleased when it launched with almost no tweaking. About all I needed to do was edit some settings in GAPI. This is one of the better browsers available for the PPC platform. It is designed to rotate the vertical PPC screen 90 degrees on the PPC for better viewing. Unfortunately, on the Jornada, which has a screen that is already in wide orientation, this has the effect of making the viewing window 240w x 640h instead of the other way around. Hopefully we can get the software makers to release an update or settings profile to correct this problem. Everyone please contact the makers of this software and lets see if we can get ourselves a web browser!
 Top of the page
pinarek Page Icon Posted 2005-09-22 9:02 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Rocketman
Your Tipp is verry interest for me. Hav you a Link for Download this
"Thunderhawk web browser" ? Thank you.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-22 9:08 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

hm.. can you tell us what the correct GAPI settings are? thanks..
until the developers of thunderhawk don't correct the resolution problem, you can use nyditot.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-09-22 11:26 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Nyditot and GAPI don't like eachother all that much. It may well give you problems.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-22 2:54 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

oh sorry, i forgot about that. it is true, but i heard wincesoft is working on a solution
 Top of the page
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2005-09-22 6:49 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

GAPI only has a few checkboxes, so it shouldn't be too hard for you to figure out. I used the demo version of Nyditot to fool around with virtual displays and rotating the screen, but like another user commented, it doesn't play nice with applications that require GAPI. I get a lot of funny graphical glitches (such as parts of applications staying on the screen after closing them) when using Nyditot for even regular applications. I registered it recently to see if things had changed, but they haven't and I am beginning to want my $20 back

It would be nice if GAPI could provide a screen rotation option. It always seems like the applications that I really want to rotate use GAPI.

I received this message back from Thunderhawk support today:

---

Thank you for your interest in Bitstream's ThunderHawk technology.

ThunderHawk does not support 'kneetop' type devices such as the HP Jornada 720. Because ThunderHawk works so intimately with the display and other hardware in a PDA, we cannot support all devices on the market. We regret that we cannot issue a timetable for when ThunderHawk will support various devices.

We have added your e-mail address to our notification list. If a future version of ThunderHawk includes support for the HP Jornada 720, we will send you a notice.

---

Please write to them indicating that this is a worthwhile feature for them to implement and that there is still a very large and active userbase (that are willing to pay for applications). You can do so at thsupport@bitstream.com
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-22 7:58 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Rocketman - 2005-09-23 12:49 AM

I get a lot of funny graphical glitches (such as parts of applications staying on the screen after closing them) when using Nyditot for even regular applications. I registered it recently to see if things had changed, but they haven't and I am beginning to want my $20 back

hm which nyditot version are you using?
i don't experience these problems.. i admit i don't use nyditot often, but never had issues. it is funny to see the screen for example in 1280x480
 Top of the page
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2005-09-22 8:09 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I believe I am using the most recent version from their website. The setup file says NVD423Setup.exe, so I would assume it is version 4.23 (I don't have my Jornada with me atm to check). I first used Nyditot to run in pixel doubled 1280*480 resolution in order that the control buttons in my hacked up copy of MS Reader wouldn't take up as much of the screen. It can also be useful in viewing some websites.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-22 8:12 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

is version 4.23 faster than the earlier versions? don't you feel it's too slow? hmm it's worth a try...
 Top of the page
alfabob
alfabob Page Icon Posted 2005-12-27 4:16 AM
#
I suppose Winwatch would not work on this??
 Top of the page
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2005-12-27 4:33 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Winwatch won't work as Winwatch is used to move user-interface elements back onto the screen so that you can click them. The problem with Thunderhawk up to this point is that the program launches rotated 90 degrees in the wrong direction on most HPCs. Thunderhawk requires GAPI and GAPI up till now has not worked with Nyditot, one of the few programs allowing you to rotate the screen orientation. This has just recently changed with the version 3.02 release of GAPI. I see no reason why this should not work, now. I will reinstall it on my J720 (with 728 upgrade board) and see if I can get it working.
 Top of the page
Macros746 Page Icon Posted 2005-12-27 3:32 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Well, I've done my part and emailed the Thunderhawk people bragging about the size and quality of our community. I told them I thought if they released a compatible browser they would have hundreds if not thousands of purchases within a week. How about everyone fire off an email folks? This is what we've been waiting for...a modern browser. It only takes a second. Do your part.

Macros
 Top of the page
Macros746 Page Icon Posted 2005-12-27 4:16 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Sorry about that admin....my browser crashed and said it wasn't posting...ooops.

Macros
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-12-27 7:05 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

i sent off an email to their support
 Top of the page
KBoyKool Page Icon Posted 2005-12-29 7:44 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I'm a bit confused. I went to their website and it speaks of a "subscription" rather than a license. It is $49.95/year which seems a bit salty to me, considering I plan to have my J720 for the foreseeable future. Am I missing something, here? Do all versions have some time-clock expiration feature like typical demos? Sorry for the confusion. Before I tell them I back their product, I want to make sure I will. Help me understand this so I can make an informed decision.

Thanks
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 52 - Executed queries : 30