x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Why I think HPC failed and why Microsoft/HP is stupid not to reissue.

1 2
msafi Page Icon Posted 2005-09-28 3:52 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

cmonex - 2005-09-27 6:30 AM

msafi - 2005-09-27 10:15 AM

only if the jornada 720 had the specs of the HTC Universal.

sigmarion III is close

no it's not. and sigmarion 3 is not jornada 720

lol
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-28 2:08 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Dexxta - 2005-09-28 6:35 AM

I would have to go with pricing.

Jornada 720 when they were released here were $2200

oh i thought hungarian prices were the worst but i was clearly mistaken
the price of a jornada 728 was around 1500$ or so.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-28 2:12 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

msafi - 2005-09-28 9:52 AM

you can tell me why doesn't the sig3 have specs close to the htc universal....
i can run it at 530 Mhz if that's the problem. i've got wifi and bluetooth for it.
can't think of anything else except that it's not a phone. (well it would easily be gprs and 3G enabled if i were living in japan )

it is similar in size to a jornada 72x, thank god this is the only newer hpc that is jornada sized.

Edited by cmonex 2005-09-28 2:17 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-09-28 2:14 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Even here I think that sounds a little steep. I remember tham being £1000, £1250 as you're stating I never saw it for anything like that from worthwhile - reputable retailers.

291,500 Florins is more what they were around 8 months after release. Before they vanished completely you could pick them up for around £600-650 new.
 Top of the page
msafi Page Icon Posted 2005-09-28 5:06 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

cmonex - 2005-09-28 12:12 PM

msafi - 2005-09-28 9:52 AM

you can tell me why doesn't the sig3 have specs close to the htc universal....
i can run it at 530 Mhz if that's the problem. i've got wifi and bluetooth for it.
can't think of anything else except that it's not a phone. (well it would easily be gprs and 3G enabled if i were living in japan )

it is similar in size to a jornada 72x, thank god this is the only newer hpc that is jornada sized.

you are forgetting the most important thing...Windows Mobile 5.0 ??
which in turn allows for a much bigger selection of 3rd party apps?
native english user interface?

i can tell that the sigmarion 3 is a pretty solid HPC just from looking at the pictures and seeing its bright display. but still...does it have the WiFi and bluetooth built-in?

it's not nearly close to the specs of the HTC Universal man...
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-28 7:01 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

msafi - 2005-09-28 11:06 PM

you are forgetting the most important thing...Windows Mobile 5.0 ??
which in turn allows for a much bigger selection of 3rd party apps?
native english user interface?

i can tell that the sigmarion 3 is a pretty solid HPC just from looking at the pictures and seeing its bright display. but still...does it have the WiFi and bluetooth built-in?

it's not nearly close to the specs of the HTC Universal man...

don't forget these are just my thoughts:
i don't want windows mobile. i like hpc OS's more... if i couldn't get every app i needed i might not think so, but i do have everything and don't want to fiddle with a pocketpc OS...
so it depends on what you need. i wouldn't say wm 5 is the most important about the HTC universal. in fact i couldn't care less about it... it is the hardware i like about it. now if we're at it... in fact the sig3 has more accessible RAM than the htc universal lol (htc uni: around 30 MB, sig3: around 55). maybe it has a better video chip as well (look at TCPMP benchmarks.. htc uni is not there probably, but sig3 beats everything else there ).

you've got a point though: english GUI would be nice, C:Amie said it can be reflashed, i'll ask about it sometime. until that i don't bother, it is 90% english...

as i said i do have wifi and bluetooth for it it has usb host, CF, SDIO, it has everything it's just not a phone... so it's close to the htc universal IMO. no problem if you don't agree but don't forget it has a bigger screen, much nicer keyboard and bigger resolution which is *native* to the OS and all apps!!

Edited by cmonex 2005-09-28 7:03 PM
 Top of the page
Macros746 Page Icon Posted 2005-09-29 3:40 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Nice to see that I started such a hot topic here. It wasn't my intention to suggest that if I could make an HPC from scratch today I would make a Jornada 720. I would agree that price was undoubtedly an issue. And that to make an HPC a viable platform for today there would most definitely have to be some updates. But, what is frightening, is just how well Jornada 720/728 still do work. They still are perfectly acceptable for most work. Just imagine a better OS with a better browser and then an Ipod harddrive (6 gigs ish) AND flash memory so we wouldn'l lose our instant on. My point in all of this is that this is a marketing bonanza that no company has been smart enough to pick up the ball and run with. I'd be willing to bet that one of the first American companies to revisit the idea will be Apple....sad for us hardcore PCers......

Macros
 Top of the page
Theodosus Page Icon Posted 2005-09-29 4:58 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

CE Geek - 2005-09-27 4:01 PM

Maybe so, but people want features right out of the box; they don't want to buy something and then have to spend more time tweaking it or more money buying add-ons.

The whole point of the H/PC, as I see it, is that you can take it out of the box, turn it on, and you're ready to go. This issue about screens is a big one as well IMHO. Personally, I'd love to have a transflective TFT screen on my Jornada like the one I have on my Sony Clie - that's the only one I can see clearly indoors or outdoors, day or night.

Ever checked out the specs of an NTT DoCoMo Sigmarian III (NTT is Japan's world class wireless telephone company) ? Its the length of a Jornada 680 - 728, thinner and over an inch more extended, giving more keyboard room and greater display height. Apparantly, the display is excellent (much like the notebook quality).

Now, if only I can find one... Coco dai yo!

Edited by Theodosus 2005-09-29 5:05 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-09-29 5:31 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Cmonex has one.
They're exceptionally nice devices. Japanse OS and only CE4.1
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.199 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 10