x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Need a Web Browser w/ Java Support

1 2
Ebuddy
Ebuddy Page Icon Posted 2005-09-26 10:07 PM
#
I'm looking for a good web browser that supports Java on my Jornada 720. The Java support that is built in isn't displaying the java on my corporate email (Lotus Notes ) or should I say, Web mail site. Also, as an aside, let me ask the stupid question: If, for example, Microsoft Age of Empires was dseigned fro ARM OR XScale and it's supposed to run under the first Pocket PC CE OS, why won't it run on my 720? Thanks again!
 Top of the page
hpcpro Page Icon Posted 2005-09-27 6:34 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Install the Insignia Jeode JVM. It add a JVM(1.2) to the Pocket Internet Explorer.It open the majority of java applets.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-27 8:28 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

you can try netfront 3.0, its built in java is usually better than jeode.
download the trial version from my site... don't forget this is a pocketpc program but it is hacked&hexedited to run.

pocketpc2000 isn't compatible with hpc2000... but as you saw you can hack stuff, i think even AOE can be done.
 Top of the page
hpcpro Page Icon Posted 2005-09-27 10:15 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Insignia Jeode JVM is a total conversion of the JVM 1.2 for PC.
But Java implemented on NetFront is a Java Lite version of Java very limited but usable.

I use Insignia with Pocket Internet Explorer or FtxBrowser.
I wrote about Insignia Jeode JVM at Zona Handheld forum in the past:
http://www.todopocketpc.com/foro/showthread.php?t=26704&highlight=java

With Insignia I can open java applets as messengers, chats, webcams, games, images, javascripts,... an other world.

Edited by hpcpro 2005-09-27 10:20 AM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-27 5:44 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

you're not serious are you sadly, jeode vm isnt a total conversion of jdk 1.2. far from it. i don't know what tests you performed but according to my experiences netfront java is less limited than jeode. and of course you can open these things with netfront as well, just like jeode and it knows more... i've tried two webchats and none worked with jeode, both worked with netfront. icq2go and some other sites work with both.
i'd recommend using both jvm's, you'll get the best results then
the only problem with these that they both require a little hacking and they're not readily available. for example Access lists only the newest version of netfront on their site.. but probably you can ask for an older version of it.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-27 5:56 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

hmm i'm wonderign which jvm you have,
http://www.handango.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?productType=2&optionId=1_2_2&jid=4AECDC3AC1XF6CD151X6D9386D7CE1EC&platformId=2&siteId=1&productId=48776§ionId=0&catalog=30&txtSearch=Esmertec&pc=list%5B9%5D_title
or http://www.handango.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=1&jid=1FF718192A26BFBAE4D9488225499D76&platformId=2&N=96806&productId=163028&R=163028 ?
i'd guess it is the first, just asking for confirmation. if it's the first it it just personal java 1.2 compatible (and not full compatibility either). to be honest i'm not sure what is implemented in netfront's java, i'm talking about only my experiences.
hm, and i don't know about the second link, but i suspect it is wm2003 only, so you can't be using that if you do have and use that, let me know
 Top of the page
hpcpro Page Icon Posted 2005-09-27 6:52 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I use the Jeode Insignia JVM(PPC version).
Both are based in the old Sun Java Spefications (1.2).
Insignia was included in some PPC(from factory)in the past.
Netfront added a JVM integrated to innovate in the browsers market and to be superior to the pocket internet explorer.Good election. Today is the best pocketpc browser.
I use Jeode because Netfront is a bit slow and have caché problems.To a moderated navigation I think Netfront is very heavy. With our Pocket internet explorer(Ftxbrowser) and Insignia we can open webs and applets sufficient fast.

I supose every person have differents uses. I attempt to show advantage and disadvantage for a confortable and practical usage.

We need a browser as Netfront(it´s the best) but without cache problems and more faster.Our HPC are too slow to this software.Perhaps in a MP900?

Edited by hpcpro 2005-09-27 6:57 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-27 7:59 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

hpcpro - 2005-09-28 12:52 AM

I use the Jeode Insignia JVM(PPC version).
Both are based in the old Sun Java Spefications (1.2).
Insignia was included in some PPC(from factory)in the past.
Netfront added a JVM integrated to innovate in the browsers market and to be superior to the pocket internet explorer.Good election. Today is the best pocketpc browser.
I use Jeode because Netfront is a bit slow and have caché problems.To a moderated navigation I think Netfront is very heavy. With our Pocket internet explorer(Ftxbrowser) and Insignia we can open webs and applets sufficient fast.

I supose every person have differents uses. I attempt to show advantage and disadvantage for a confortable and practical usage.

We need a browser as Netfront(it´s the best) but without cache problems and more faster.Our HPC are too slow to this software.Perhaps in a MP900?

yeh i use the ppc jeode jvm myself, just curious which one you might have meant, as out experiences differ.

netfront doesn't have cache problems if you install it in RAM. and launching will be much faster as well.

yes, different uses and preferences, as i personally think netfront is faster in many cases. sometimes IE is faster, and ftxbrowser is just damn slow for me.

a little more about netfront 3.0: i've tried and used it on the 900/900C (hpc2000/ce.net 4.2), and there's not much difference compared to the j728 when it is installed in RAM, but if i use it on the sigmarion III the difference is noticeable... i mean menus here mainly, they open instantly on the sigmarion III but not on the jornada 728 or NEC 900/900C. interesting. (it is always installed in RAM on all these devices)
 Top of the page
hpcpro Page Icon Posted 2005-09-28 5:06 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Ok.
I always install software in Storage Card. In RAM programs run faster, but not all, less free RAM more slow.
But how you say these are personal apreciations.

Creme was a JVM developed for HPC. I dont know if is available yet. Perhaps it works fast.

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-28 2:09 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

hpcpro - 2005-09-28 11:06 AM

Creme was a JVM developed for HPC. I dont know if is available yet. Perhaps it works fast.

yes creme has been available for a while now. i've tried the trial version but couldn't get anything to work with it as i found no documentation and i'm lost with java without that
 Top of the page
Ebuddy
Ebuddy Page Icon Posted 2005-09-28 11:12 PM
#
Ok... I tried Netfront. Got it installed and running with no problem. Except, when I try to log on to the corporate email website it promptly tells me that the browser isn't supported and won't go any further.

So.... is Jeode a plug-in for IE or is it a standalone product like NetFront? Also, where can I find it?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-29 3:01 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Ebuddy - 2005-09-29 5:12 AM

Ok... I tried Netfront. Got it installed and running with no problem. Except, when I try to log on to the corporate email website it promptly tells me that the browser isn't supported and won't go any further.

So.... is Jeode a plug-in for IE or is it a standalone product like NetFront? Also, where can I find it?

you can try changing the user agent in netfront. if you cannot find it in the options, let me know (it is not easy to find it by default on a hvga device).
oh and are you using the trial version? i forgot that has java disabled by default. i can test the full version for you..

jeode is both a standalone jvm and a plug-in for IE. (you can change IE user agent as well to IE 6.0 and Windows XP!).
the handango link i posted might work, there are two problems. one is that i'm not sure it is the same jeode we're talking about (far from sure...) other is that i did not see a trial version of it. and 50$ is a little too much if you don't know if it will work at all with your corporate site.
but i can try the site with jeode, if you're interested.
 Top of the page
Ebuddy
Ebuddy Page Icon Posted 2005-09-29 7:23 PM
#
Thanks! Looks like Java is a bigger PITA (pain in the a$$) than I thought.

Thanks for offering to test NetFront for me - I was using the trial version. The problem is that IE dies on me after a couple of user id and password gateways that, if I shared them, would be what we call a CLM (career limiting move)!

I'll keep poking around and see...

Maybe I'll have to just sell my 720, my Axim X3 and my ThinkPad x30, convince the boss (wife) to let me add a few hundred dollars more and try an OQO!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-09-29 8:16 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Ebuddy - 2005-09-30 1:23 AM

Thanks! Looks like Java is a bigger PITA (pain in the a$$) than I thought.

Thanks for offering to test NetFront for me - I was using the trial version. The problem is that IE dies on me after a couple of user id and password gateways that, if I shared them, would be what we call a CLM (career limiting move)!

I'll keep poking around and see...

Maybe I'll have to just sell my 720, my Axim X3 and my ThinkPad x30, convince the boss (wife) to let me add a few hundred dollars more and try an OQO!

oh, i thought i would be able to test the site without having to log in. so was i mistaken in thinking that?

in my opinion.. OQO cannot replace a real pda, especially not the Axim but not even the 720. nor the thinkpad, because the oqo will be much smaller and slower etc..
so it'll be the compromise of your current three devices. it suits some people, it doesn't others.
but that's strictly my opinion, i never saw an OQO. so don't listen to my rant
 Top of the page
nauman_416 Page Icon Posted 2005-10-13 10:09 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

hi,

is there any free weblink for browzers tha t support Java . from above discussion , i understand Netfront is not free > what about others. ????

> i have Sony Clie That uses Netfront , is it possible to install Netfront from CLIE CD to work for J720 or not.

> any free link for running JAva applets on J720. pls let me know
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 9