x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Star Defenders!

1 2
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-11-22 1:32 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

cplusplus.com, books in every local bookstore, and many good books are in used ones. Google, chatrooms...

Pretty much, there are infinite resources available. You just need to go through them.

I have a higher success rate with dummies books than anything else. C++ for dummies isn't fantastic, but I did learn some (if only I had a compiler at the time...).

Oh, and if you decide to use Linux, be sure to know that to compile a program, you type:

g++ (program name)

not gcc! That kept me busy for a while...

Oh, and c++ for dummies is out of date, you just need to change the first few lines of each program to current source files. It will still compile the old way, but with a warning. I lost the email telling me how to do it, but I believe it is on the authors site, and looking at the beginning of most source files should do it.

-I am still recovering from my accidental deletion of all my partitions, proving unrecoverable. That's DOS 6.22 for you...but I probably deserve it by refusing to use an emulator. (And not backing up to dvd's often simply because for some reason, Linux takes 4 hours each.)
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-22 2:30 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

ProgramSynthesiser - 2005-11-22 7:32 AM

(And not backing up to dvd's often simply because for some reason, Linux takes 4 hours each.)

whoops. boot into windows for the time of dvd writing. (so windows is indispensable after all...? )

Edited by cmonex 2005-11-22 2:36 AM
 Top of the page
CardBoardCrusader
CardBoardCrusader Page Icon Posted 2005-11-24 6:40 PM
#
I will definitely look around, thanks for the help. About Escape Velocity, yes, I have played it on a mac before. Cool game, but EV Nova was much better. That's probably the 'Windows' one you were talking about? Yes, I beat it, too. Just for fun, try naming your hero "Kenny", and if you die, you get an easter egg message that says: "Oh my God! They've killed Kenny!" Just something I picked up from the walkthrough.

I've started writing a design journal thing, but I want to make it readily viewable to everyone else. At first I thought I should keep a blog, but my bro says that's not what blogs are for. I don't have the cash to pay for a website, but I could probably find a free web hosting site...? I really have no clue as to how I should do it.

Anyway, I've got some really cool ideas, but if I just posted everything on here, this forum thread would soon exceed the maximum limit. (Is there one?)

Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-11-24 11:42 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Unfortunately, the Windows partition is just too small (on purpose) to do anything more than play my Windows games. That way, it doesn't waste space.

Those old mac games always had easter eggs...
 Top of the page
CardBoardCrusader
CardBoardCrusader Page Icon Posted 2006-01-09 6:44 PM
#
Just a quick update, I'm about 30% done with the design and concept document, 25% done with the musical score, and about 2% done learning C++. Unfortunately, my foster mom declared that I can't use my desktop PC anymore because our power bill is too high. Lame. I will have to wait about 6 months until I graduate and move out before I can resume work on the project, but I will write in a notebook or something, I guess... to keep on designing... it...?
Anyway, I'll do my best to keep caught up in my classes so I can graduate, then we will start our game company. I guess one of the advanages of having an HPC is less power consumption. They're great for light computing, such as what I'm doing right now.
So, I guess I just wanted to keep the thread going, and when the actual construction starts on this game, I will probably start a different thread in the developer's section.

PS: You might be a CE geek if your New Year's resolution is 640x240.
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-01-09 8:26 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Don't forget 800x480!
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-01-10 4:15 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

CardBoardCrusader - 2006-01-09 3:44 PM

PS: You might be a CE geek if your New Year's resolution is 640x240.

Huh? Somebody call me?
 Top of the page
CardBoardCrusader
CardBoardCrusader Page Icon Posted 2006-01-10 6:21 PM
#
Sorry there, CE Geek. Forgot you had that screen name! No harm...?
800x480? What HPC has that resolution? That sounds pretty cool...
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-01-11 4:48 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I think one of the SimPads has that resolution...
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-11 6:26 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

CardBoardCrusader - 2006-01-11 12:21 AM

800x480? What HPC has that resolution? That sounds pretty cool...

intermec 6651, sigmarion III
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-01-11 6:26 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

tenjeangosi - 2006-01-11 10:48 PM

I think one of the SimPads has that resolution...

no, no, all simpads have 800x600
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-01-11 8:33 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Okay...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-01-11 11:43 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

CardBoardCrusader - 2006-01-10 3:21 PM

No problem. It's not like I have a copyright on it. That was just a weak attempt on my part to be funny.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.281 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 8