x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Installation od SmartPass

1 2
Vasja Jurkas
Vasja Jurkas Page Icon Posted 2004-12-04 4:17 PM
#
I am quite a new Jornada 720 user (2 weeks). I would like to connect to the company's network using Citrix Extranet / V-One SmartPass client. At the V-One web pages the links to the clients take me to nowhere (I've posted an e-mail to webmaster but still no reply). I've got from our IT staff the SmartPass client which looks like this:

23.03.2004 07:25 413.696 0000spce.003
28.05.2003 15:49 1.821 000setup.002
23.03.2004 07:02 39 00llvcat.007
23.03.2004 07:27 32.768 00spcerc.004
23.03.2004 07:06 8.192 0spceins.999
23.03.2004 07:10 29.184 NETPRO~1.006
18.06.2003 07:57 24.512 QUICKS~1.001
23.03.2004 07:39 376 SMARTP~2.000
23.03.2004 07:01 38.912 spcefips.005

It obviously is a regular client but I have no idea how to install it. I assume if I could make a CAB file from the above it would be easy. Can someone instruct me either how to make the CAB (if possible) or how to directly install the client? Can anyone help? Thanks!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-12-04 7:53 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Vasja, the files you listed there are the installer scripts.

Someone has mistakenly removed them from the CAB file. With Windows CE, cabs are different from how they are on a PC.

The best I can offer is if you send me the files and I will look to see if I can at least get the files back
 Top of the page
vjurkas Page Icon Posted 2004-12-05 6:10 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Thanks for the reconstruction - although, as you supposed, it probbably is an x86 version. I've found the "Citrix Extranet Administrator's Guide" on the web and also guessed the real names of the uncompressed cabinet file. Unfortunately it just does not run.

Can you explain me (for my education) why the other two files (specins.dll and SmartPassCE.lnk) were not part of the CAB file? What exactly is a CAB file? As I can imagine the included files are not even compressed - just renamed and put together along with some rules; am I right?

Tomorrow I'll try to get from the guy who's responsible for our company's Citrix stuff everything he has about CE clients. I'll also ask him to check the V-One download pages; I assume that he must have a better access than an average visitor. I've also sent another mail to V-One staff; one way or another I'm going to make it.

I'll keep the forum informed about the progress.
 Top of the page
vjurkas Page Icon Posted 2004-12-06 4:44 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Today our IT administrator succeded to dig out the correct installation file. The client works (I assume it works even fine) but.....

I tried to use the same ICA scripts that I am using on my laptop but there are NAMES inside instead of IP addresses. I am not an expert, but according to my understanding I should have an option to enter the WINS server address. Am I right? Is there a way how to do it? Was there a thread already about WINS?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-12-06 5:07 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

the two misc files are actually setup.dll (post setup action library) and the lnk file. the lnk file is created by the installer and not copied into the file system.

Cab's under CE are compressed files which contain a specially construced headder to make it a CE executable. The file then runs a setup script which can then run a setup.dll and initiate file system and registry modifications.

The V-One bits used to be on http://ftp.v-one.com/ however the H/PC 4.2 client has been removed, which is why you cannot find it.

To use WINS you need a WINS server. The only othe rpractical use fo it on CE is to force the LAN sync to work when it cannot lookup the sync host. That you put in the configuration for the LAN adapter.
Other than that, WINS is of no use.

I get the impression that perhaps you are not using a LAN adapter here?

If you have the cabs - or can get them for the client, I can make them available here for other users and archiving.
SH3, SH4, StrongArm, x86, MIPS, Arm720. If you can extract them from your people
 Top of the page
728 user
728 user Page Icon Posted 2004-12-09 3:40 AM
#
If you could make these available I would be very grateful, my research on how to get a VPN to work with my Jornada 728 keeps throwing up this Smartpass VPN product, but I can't find it anywhere. Do you know if it would work with the Jornada 728 ?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-12-09 7:26 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

www.v-one.com
You need a V-One gateway, and also they appear to have withdrawn all CE clients anyway...
 Top of the page
vjurkas Page Icon Posted 2004-12-12 5:09 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I was on a business trip without access to internet - at least not without a lot of effort...

People from V-One finally replied and I'll ask them if there are any obstacles to make these files available.
 Top of the page
728 user
728 user Page Icon Posted 2004-12-13 9:15 AM
#
That would be great, if they would.
Do you need a V One gateway as well ?
 Top of the page
vjurkas Page Icon Posted 2004-12-13 9:40 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Definitely you need some kind of a VPN server, which is, in V-One case, called "V-One Gateway" or something similar. C-Amie was right.

There's another VPN client for CE around: Certicom's Movian. I am not familiar with it. Check it out if it better fits your needs. It is supposed to work with IP-Sec, thus it can work with any appropriate VPN server - I did just a quick check of its features, I might be wrong.
 Top of the page
728 user
728 user Page Icon Posted 2004-12-14 6:57 AM
#
Already been down that route, Worldnet21.com now sell it, but they say the Jornada 728 is not supported. Does anybody know if it runs anyway ? supported or not ?
It does seem incredible that there is now not a single available VPN client for Jornada 728 (or the 720 I guess)

Top of the page
vjurkas Page Icon Posted 2004-12-14 11:20 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hm, they must have dumped support for HPC. Anyway, I've seen somewhere the HPC2000 version but I only have the PPC version manual. If I find it, I'll send it to you.
 Top of the page
vjurkas Page Icon Posted 2004-12-14 11:24 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Voila!

Link removed at posters request
 Top of the page
728 user
728 user Page Icon Posted 2004-12-14 2:05 PM
#
Many thanks, trying it now, looks like you may have helped me out of a big hole !!!!
 Top of the page
vjurkas Page Icon Posted 2004-12-22 3:41 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I did it!

So, as I wrote before I sucessfully installed the Citrix extranet client v 2.5 which is the SmartPass (V-One) client. Date: Sept 21, 2001 - I don't know what was the V-One's version.

Next step is much more important and can be easily overlooked. Whatever you want to do with your VPN client you need to set "the Proxy Server" at your CE device MANUALLY at localhost's IP address: Internet Explorer / View / Internet Options / Connections. You need to check the "Use Proxy Server" checkbox at 127.0.0.1, Port 2080. If you don't do this, nothing will work if the VPN client is running. You cannot even browse the net because the browser does not know how to route the packets.

I am also using the Citrix ICA client (version 6.30.1061, higher version is available but I did not test it, yet) for accessing my company's network. The only difference is that in the "Firewall Settings" you need to enable connection via the SOCKS Proxy - IP: 127.0.0.1, Port: 1080. This is the way how the VPN and ICA client communicate with each other.

When I am using the dialup connection (modem) or connect directly to corporate network (Ethernet) - the SOCKS Proxy must be disabled.

I hope it would save some time to anyone who wnats to do the same
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.265 - Cached queries : 50 - Executed queries : 28