x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Socket CF Wireless Card Driver

slick204 Page Icon Posted 2005-10-04 6:51 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Has anyone here been able to get a Socket CF wireless network card to work with a Jornada 680? The HCL indicates that it will work with H/PC Pro and Socket has the drivers, which I have loaded, but when I put the card in I get a box saying it is an unrecognized card and asking for the driver name. I'm new to this and I've tried to read everything I can find. Any help would be appreciated!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-10-04 8:08 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

is it the WL6000-320 or WL6001-356? if not, that might be your problem, HCL says WL6004-322 and WL6006-508 are incompatible. but you can try typing in a driver name. just look into your \Windows folder and hide files in ROM and then you can see the socket driver files among the remaining few files. try all of them that has a DLL extension... if one of them has NDS in the end of filename you should try that first. if you got the right driver name you'll notice it immediately (it will no longer ask for it on insertion or power on or after a reset).
 Top of the page
slick204 Page Icon Posted 2005-10-04 11:57 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Well, I'm pretty sure it's the WL6000-320. It's pretty well hidden on socket's website. The model number on the back is different than the WL numbers. I tried the .dll's I think are for the card (skttrans.dll, sktwlan.dll, sktcewdm.dll, sktkerb5.dll and sktmudll.dll). Do I just type the file name in, such as sktwlan.dll, or do I need to add a /windows before the file name? I know the card works, at least in an IPAQ 2215.
Thanks for your input. I'd really like to get this card to work. I'll post to the Socket support forum and see if they have any ideas.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-10-05 8:40 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

you don't need even the ".dll" part when typing it in just the filename before the extension. maybe you could try sktwlan or sktcewdm for the first time.. let us know if you succeeded (or not)
oh i forgot to tell you how you can verify for sure which dlls are for the wlan card and not for something else.. look in the cab installer on your PC (any decent filemanager or winrar etc will do this for you) and see the filenames there (they're extensionless but you'll know now which ones are dll's).
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-10-05 11:12 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Did you try the driver in the HCL?
 Top of the page
slick204 Page Icon Posted 2005-10-05 1:29 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

The link in the HCL gives me a Not Found error, although the file name shown in the link is the same as the file I downloaded from Socket (wlan.exe).
I tried all the .dll's with and without the extension but nothing happens.
wlan.exe installs several .cab file for different versions and processors. There's Output.JupSh3.CAB, which I assume is what was installed. There's also Output.RprSh3.CAB. Not sure what that's for.
I need to try the Socket forums next.
Thanks.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-10-05 2:11 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Try the HCL driver again, probably a connection error.

JupSH3 should be used for H/PC Pro. RprSH3 is not for your device type.

The driver name you should be using is:
SKTWLAN

I have added this to the HCL.
 Top of the page
slick204 Page Icon Posted 2005-10-05 4:28 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

OK, I was able to download the file from the HCL. I uninstalled the other driver from my 680 and my desktop. I ran the program which installs onto the desktop, then ran the setup file that installs on the 680. I then reset the 680 and put in the card (with the unit off). It still doesn't recognize the card and nothing happens when I type SKTWLAN in the box asking for the driver name.
I've put in a request for tech support from Socket. I'll see what they have to say.
Thanks for the help!
 Top of the page
slick204 Page Icon Posted 2005-10-07 2:25 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

The first round of support from Socket was for me to download and install the drivers! Of course I said in my original email that I had done just that. They must not even read the email. I'm waiting for round 2.

In the mean time our computer guy at work found a Linksys WCF11. The HCL doesn't show anything for compatibility with H/PC Pro but CESDH0007 seems to indicate it should work. The problem is that it is a type II device and the 680 has a type I slot. Will a type II card work in the PCMCIA slot with an adapter? If I can dig up an adapter I may just give it a shot.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-10-07 2:37 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

the 680 has a pcmcia type II slot, and if the adapter is type II as well, then no worries.
 Top of the page
slick204 Page Icon Posted 2005-10-07 11:05 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I found an adapter and downloaded the driver from Linksys but when I try to install it, it says I don't have a compatable device connected. I think I'm just jinxed with this thing. Then I searched the forums and it looks like there's been lots of trouble with Linksys drivers. So I have Socket and Linksys wireless cards and I can't get the 680 to see either one of them! Are either of these prism cards? I found a post with instructions to use prism reference drivers (not sure where to get these). He does mention Linksys but I don't know if that means it's a prism card or not.
Time for more searching......
 Top of the page
slick204 Page Icon Posted 2005-10-08 12:28 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Success! I found a post about using Compaq WL100 drivers with a Linksys card, so I figured "what the heck". It worked! Sort of. The 680 sees the card and I can configure it. I'm getting a good signal but nothing is being transferred. It's too late for me to try and figure that out tonight. At least I'm part way there!
 Top of the page
slick204 Page Icon Posted 2005-10-08 4:17 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I figured out the connection problem and things are working pretty good now. I have a couple of PIE issues but was able to find solutions searching the forums. Thanks for the newbie help!
Does this (the Compaq WL100 drivers working with the Linksys WCF 11) need to be added to the HCL?
 Top of the page
slick204 Page Icon Posted 2005-10-21 11:33 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Just a quick follow-up. Socket sent a link to a different driver file which I downloaded and installed. The card now works fine and actually a bit faster than the Linksys card I was using. I like the Socket connection program better too. Again, I'm not sure if this is something that should be in the HCL since it worked and the current driver listed didn't. The file also included all the original documentation, which wasn't available on their web site.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-10-22 8:08 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

If you have a better driver suggestion, then we are always read and willing to make changes to the HCL. If you would like to send it or the information along, then by all means please do.
If sending the information please use the HCL submission form, other wise I'll PM you somewhere to email the files.

Thanks,
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 54 - Executed queries : 31