x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Zapper Page Icon Posted 2005-10-09 5:46 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

While on field assignment at a construction site, I found myself in the curious situation of having readily available phone jacks, but no phones available except in the unfortunately locked half-built office. This was a manufacturing facility in the middle of nowhere with no cellphone coverage but which already had landlines. I ended up communicating via long distance dialup using Huey, an MP780. Fax and email. But no voice. Now, this is hardly uncommon. Or hardly WAS uncommon. Nowadays we are spoiled by easy cellphone coverage. But anyway, it occured to me that Huey had a combined speaker and microphone jack, and I have a cellphone ear and mic piece that fits perfectly. So, can you just plug the modem into the phone line, and use our beloved handheld as a phone?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-10-09 6:19 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The largest problem with this would be that the sound system in the hpc is probably only half duplex - meaning using it as a phone would be akin to using a walkeytalkey.

The modem would need to be a voice modem with connections to the sound system, otherwise everything has to be processed through the sound card.

mPhone is the nearest I can think of, but it doesn't - to my knowledge - use analog modems
 Top of the page
mewiedman Page Icon Posted 2005-10-09 8:46 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

There may be some help in this thread,

http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=839&posts=12

although the first idea was using the HPC as a cell phone. Look farther down and if you have dial-up internet access, it may work to use skype or some other service - Look for vjurkas reply.'

Let us know what happens!

MEW

Edited by mewiedman 2005-10-09 8:47 AM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 59 - Executed queries : 10