x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

cehttp and ceftp how?!

1 2
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2004-12-05 1:20 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

I began running cehttp on my Jornada and was very happy with how it worked. The only problem is that I can only access it by ip address on my home network, nowhere else. How can I get it working by a site name? Stingraze, perhaps you can help me out with this one? I really like the idea of using my hpc as a web server, its quiet and if I run it off a wired lan card cool too.

As far as ceftp, each time I try to access my site at ftp://digitalutopia.somee.com and enter my username and password, site address and everything, it keeps on getting a connection error. Any ideas? (Oh yeah, the ftp site is only accessible by me, so there is no reason for anyone else to try, I just want advice)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-12-05 9:32 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

PS,

Assuming that you have a properly registered Network - which as a general consumer you may not - and have setup LAN sync (so you know the devices know how to find eachother) you can access it using the NetBIOS name.

The device name is the NetBIOS name and can be found in the "Device Name" area in Communications in Control Panel.
That will only give you access on the local network though, not externally. To do that you will need some degree of DNS registration.

Your FTP server / client may need / not support leech mode. Have a look about in the client options.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2004-12-05 9:57 AM
#
H/PC Elder

If you are running it within your LAN or intranet, a simple host file will do the trick.

For WinXP clients,

Modify the host file
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\lmhosts.sam

There are some comments inside that show you how to do it.
eg,

Insert the following line at the end of the file
192.168.0.22 mycehttp.com

where 192.168.0.22 is the ip of your jornada and mycehttp.com is the name you want to use for accessing it.

But host files are good only for small setup, if you have quite a few machines and the ip for the jornada is not static, you will want to run a simple DHCP server somewhere on your LAN/intranet. The only diff is that the DHCP server will contain the ip-name mapping and can support multiple clients without having to configure on each client separately.

Come to think of it, you will still want your server to have fix ip, else your DHCP server will need to change its reference each time its different.

For the ceftp issue, have you tried to ping the address digitalutopia.somee.com? Just want to make sure that your naming resolution is working out first.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2004-12-05 3:36 PM
#
H/PC Elder

*bump* Why didn't I try that! (for ceftp) I get into digitalutopia now, but I see no files. I am in the / directory as usual, but I don't see any files in there.

I am still getting mixed messages for the cehttp thing. Stingraze, you did it, mind telling me how?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-12-05 4:03 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

http://pocketpc.stingraze.net/ is Public DNS anchored to a C-Name on stingraze.net. It has a domain name, and a public record DNS registration against it to point to his static Internet IP address.

You will either need a domain and a registrar account that allows self modification to the DNS records with a static Internet IP address, a Dynamic DNS or a Custom Dynamic DNS.
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2004-12-05 4:06 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

It's all down to name resolution, as people are telling you.

If you don't know what you're doing fully with firewalls and opening up ports to your home network, I'd really really really advise you not to do it.

If you do know, cool, apologies for the paranoia
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2004-12-05 4:21 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Nah, I can figure that out normally, BUT my firewall is demented. My 2wire dsl modem doesn't allow normal port selection (like I say, gui setups SUCK!) What I also need to figure out is how to get the internet to recognize my one computer through the modem. The internet only sees the public ip of the modem, I don't know how to get it to see my pda. BUT I do remember now there was a routing option for certain ports, but all my computers use 80... If I was connected by a modem, it would be a piece of cake. Oh well...
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2004-12-05 6:33 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Ah C:Amie. I read your post again carefully. So I need a domain to get the name like he did,am I correct? (As far as the firewall stuff, if I want to learn it, don't worry I will...c++ has been ignored by me in the place of other things recently)
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2004-12-05 10:43 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Ze conclusion: My computers do recognize each other, by the network name. I just need to get a domain I guess, the rest I'll figure out. If I do follow through, the site will never see the 720's full potential, as my dsl has a miniscule upload. In other words if it does happen browse carefully or soft-reset!

Anyways, the ftp problem was because I did not have it in the right folder. It was in / , but needed to be in /digitalutopia . So now I am very happy with ftp access!

ZE END!!!
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2004-12-06 3:42 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Look at the free IP services out there - dyndns.org and all that. They'll allow a subnet of their root DNS to be used... So, in other words, they'll provide name services for something like programsynthesiser.dyndns.org and translate it to the appropriate IP address.

Cheers,
nick.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-12-06 8:44 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Strangely enough that would be Dynamic DNS then Chiark

PS, Custom Dynamic DNS is where you can have a non-static IP from your ISP, but still run a fully fledged www.something.com domain from it.
Dyndns.org charge £20 for 12 months and £13 for the domain name (rather expensive for the actual domain). If you do it all through them though it saves you a lot of hasstle with DNS pointers.

Standard Dynamic DNS is free from dyndns.org and dynu.com.

If you are unsure about port redirection, like Nick said, I strongly urge you to think twice before opening up firewall ports. Unless your modem is indeed a proper router, you could wind up with every infection under the sun.

There are also subnet isolation and DMZ to consider... that's a we bit too advanced here.
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2004-12-06 9:01 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

As Chris said, I'd *definitely* only open up the appropriate port to the appropriate destination IP address - this may be difficult/impossible without using a DMZ.

If you've got a spare machine (P100 or greater) with 2 network cards, you can very easily get a rock solid firewall capable of Great Things, including creation of a DMZ, for free. I personally run IPCOP, but many people prefer Smoothwall...

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-12-06 2:33 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Chiark, ever tried out FreeSCO (I think that's right), that puppy rules. Linux on a floppy. Now that's good linux!

Remember that the only port you need open is 80 for web servers NOTHING else.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2004-12-06 6:53 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Yes, I do have a 200mhz Sony Vaio, which before I got dsl was going to use as a router. BUT if I did follow through with this, I would lose wireless abilities, at least ones going through it first. A single wireless antenna that I would hook up to it to use it as a wireless router also would just not be as powerful as the three-antenna 2wire that I have. Kinda stuck with that.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2004-12-06 6:57 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Ok C:Amie, I will forward port 80 requests to my hpc, that much my 2wire can do. I would still need a domain name though wouldn't I? Or would people be able to access my via my ip (ugh) or at least my machine's network name?
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 73 - Executed queries : 8