x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Guyturf Page Icon Posted 2005-10-15 11:48 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Just a quick question for you all,

what is faster, compact flash or those little sd things.

A friend of mine brought over his reader and it took a 200 meg video file in no time at all, where it seems like my cf card is dog slow.

Also, are those other storage mediums longer lasting? I've heard that cf wear out, do the other ones?

I'm thinking if they are better I'll get a converter for my mobilepro and use them instead

Guyturf
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-10-15 12:01 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

All flash memory wears out eventually.
CF is faster - it's why you get CF in high end digital cameras, and SD in consumer ones.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-10-16 9:28 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Hi there! CF and SD cards usually have speed ratings on the card itself or packaging. They mainly differ in their physical packaging. So naturally a 60x CF would be faster than a 12x SD. However given that CF cards had been around since like day zero, you would find many generic CF cards that are sluggers (READ: SLOOOOW) while most SD card "seem" to outperform their CF counterpart, if only due to the fact that they are just manufactured with the present technology which is simply faster anyway.

There are new variants of solid-state CF and SD cards which uses NAND chips or something and are supposed to be optimized for specific applications. Some of these applications include "photo" cards that are supposed to perform extremely well under the conditions required for fast digital picture taking.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 59 - Executed queries : 10