x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

C:Amie's terrible Linux experience...

sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2004-12-07 1:34 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Ok C:Amie, a thread just for you. Post and weep.
 Top of the page
N!co Page Icon Posted 2004-12-08 3:55 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Was it that terrible

Edited by N!co 2004-12-08 3:55 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-12-08 5:46 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Inference of the idea that it was terrible is entirly ficticious. It was not cut and paste and in the end I concluded I was wasting my time for something that I could do faster elsewhere. I went and did it on a Windows install instead.

I've used linix since with no problems. With different less demanding tasks
There's no story. The learning curve wasn't worth the time for something that I could do faster to the same standard under Windows.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2004-12-08 6:22 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Talking about linux ... I've been looking for a linux port for the HPC platform. From google searches, one can find numerous ports, but they are almost always abandoned or reached the "managed to boot to penguin logo" stage. Then the messages trail off and most of them are dated a few months or years old.

The only viable one I've found thus far is NetBSD, but still it only allows boot up through CF card and I am not sure if it supports instant-on like wince.

So I guess the magic and allure of linux (on PC) is that it is actually a working port of a variant of unix onto another hw platform (wintel).

ok, back on this thread ... what's this thing about C:Amie's terrible linux experience? Why this sudden thread?
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2004-12-08 7:02 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

O. Well C:Amie DID say that he had a bad time with Linux and that would be another story for another time...Naturally I came to help that along...Oh well. Lol the only safe way to boot Linux on hpc is via compactflash card, for reasons of common sense. What if Linux can't boot? Then you need another rom. There would be a selection menu at startup to have Linux on these things...oh yeah there is a Linux on 720 project out there...they have gotten a lot of apps to work...

EDIT: The 200 came too fast. I feel sad for some reason.

Edited by programsynthesiser 2004-12-08 7:04 PM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 9