x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Power Handheld as pure PDA?

takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-10-16 11:36 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Since the PHH GSM is for Europe only - and I live in N America, I wonder how good it is as a pure PDA...

Is there a way to simply switch off the GSM persistently, like the "flight mode" found in smartphones?

Can the device be suspended easily? Is it any different from suspending a HPC or PPC?

How long would the battery last if used this way?

How good is the PIM software, or is there one? Would using the CE shell UI (instead of the default one) affect the functionality in this regard?

Thanks in advance for any answers I can get
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-10-17 8:16 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

i just got it (though i will need to send it back to exchange it for a fully working one ) so i can speak from experience

it is much better as a pda than as a phone. speaking of that, i intend to use it only for sms and gprs as a phone... and it is great for that! (not sure about voice, i don't use that on any phone)
so, as a pda it is excellent!! imo
except the keyboard, it can't live up to the standards of real hpc's. i wouldn't use if for longer inputs and i never intended to use the PHH for that. but, it is still better for navigating in the system etc than a soft keyboard. oh and it helps you hold the PHH in your hand more easily / safely.
ohh and it is surely better for sms than a plain phone keyboard.... (i hate those!!)

yes you can switch off the phone module, of course. you just press a button and that's it.

suspend is exactly the same as with other pdas. if you don't turn off the phone module, that part will remain active. it is strange to me now but i'll get used to it because of this, i basically left my phone switched on for the night which i never did before (not a problem, just funny)

battery life is nice or at least acceptable... if i use gprs which i do often, it is not more than 3-4 hours, but i suppose it could be 5 hrs without that. i will try to test it some time
anyway, gprs is really great on it. sometimes (rarely!) i can't connect for the first time but apart from that i'm really amazed with it. it loads pages faster and more smoothly than the sigmarion via bluetooth with my t39 phone. (i think sig3 doesn't like the bluetooth driver it just consumes too many resources of the system?? i don't know..) so it is very comfortable to use for surfing on the go. sorry of course you can't use it in the US

there is built in pim. i never used my hpc's for pim as i always forget to take them out and look at the calendar or type in a new entry etc. but i think i'll be able to use the PHH for pim
because of the above, i'm not sure if it is any better or worse than the standard pocket outlook. i'm happy with the calendar in any case. i still don't use contacts, just uploaded my SIM to it and that's about it...
but you can use CE Agenda if you're not satisfied with the calendar...
i don't know about synchronizing because: 1) i just can't connect to AS with any of my pda's (it's been like that for a few weeks now). maybe it just needs reinstalling but i'm lazy... 2) i never saw the need for synch. backup is useful of course but synchronising? ,..yes i know it is very important for others. i'm only talking about myself.

i don't use the standard CE shell on it. if i want to stare at a real desktop i'll just use the sigmarion or the NEC or j728 for that... ok, the main reason is that the bsquare shell is very well designed for the VGA 4" screen (meaning it is easier to look at), and i don't want to lose the phone functions (or at least easy access to them). i don't mind the vodafone logo.. i can live with that and i'm with vodafone anyway.
but i almost forgot to answer your original question. yes you can still use pim.. you just lose the nice today page.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.125 - Cached queries : 60 - Executed queries : 8