x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

NEC 880 IRDA Symbian Connection

Johan
Johan Page Icon Posted 2005-10-17 3:24 AM
#
Hi

I needed to connect my Nokia 3650 Symbian phone via the IRDA port to the internet using GPRS to my NEC 880 (CE 2.11). I downloaded the IRDA generic driver from this site but it drops the connection almost immediately, when I use my wifes Nokia 6230 it works fine which tells me the problem is on the Symbian side of things. Anyone had any luck using this driver with a Symbian phone before?

Thanx
Johan (jdj@mailbox.co.za)
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-10-17 8:44 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

maybe you need to enter extra strings in remote networking. just to be sure: do you already have any of this in the connection settings? if so, please post the exact string. my answer will depend on this
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-10-17 11:56 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Johan,

Are you sure that the IR on the symbian device is modem enabled - not just for data transfer?
 Top of the page
Johan
Johan Page Icon Posted 2005-10-21 2:43 AM
#
Vanguard

I have no dialstrings set up at the moment, didn't need any for the Nokia 6230 to work. I'll appreciate all the help I can get
 Top of the page
Johan
Johan Page Icon Posted 2005-10-21 2:52 AM
#
C:Amie

The 3650 has to types of infra-red connections. I use the infra-red modem connection. I have used this phone often with my laptop to connect to the net with GPRS without any problems.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-01 1:32 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

Johan - 2005-10-21 8:43 AM

Vanguard

I have no dialstrings set up at the moment, didn't need any for the Nokia 6230 to work. I'll appreciate all the help I can get

hi, sorry, i forgot to check this thread. if you're still having problems let us know.
btw... Vanguard? lol

Edited by cmonex 2005-11-01 1:36 AM
 Top of the page
Johan Page Icon Posted 2005-11-02 2:00 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

cmonex

hehe

Yea no luck yet, I'm not to clued up with modem strings, I know the problem lies with the Symbian connection. It seems that the standard IRDA connection on the Nokia 3650 is for data transfer only and uses the same protocol as windows would. The IRDA modem connection works fine with my laptop, I even got it to work on a friends Palm. I'm considering buying a different mobile phone

If you have any ideas on different modems strings I'll try anything at this stage

Johan
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-03 12:04 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

damn 3650 has always been a pain in the ass if you decide to buy a new phone, get a SE or a better nokia...

the problem could be either a missing extra modem string or incorrect dialing patterns. for example the siemens ME45 is sensitive to the latter... what is your dialing pattern at the moment? try G _ _ (_ = empty line) or G G G.

dial string: don't type "AT" at the beginning of the line, wince will automatically send it to the phone.
have you tried the most simple one?
+CGDCONT=x,"IP","APN"
x = CID number in the phone. if you dont have any other gprs or wap setup in the phone, 1 should be ok. then the dialup number is *99***x#
or you can use *99# (nokias like this one too)
(APN is the provider's access point something... they should give that to you)

if you already tried this let me know and i'll give some more complex ones.

btw... what was the setup with the palm? this could help!

and exactly what state is it where the phone drops the connection? before "device connected" or after that? it again could tell a lot.

Edited by cmonex 2005-11-03 12:05 AM
 Top of the page
Johan Page Icon Posted 2005-11-14 5:42 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi

I tried the string you provided, no luck. It just says carrier not detected. Without any string it says "Device connected", then says "User Authenticated" and then drops the line. I dial up using *99# only. If I add anything like *99***1# its gives me a no carrier error as well. Any idea what else I can try.

Thnx

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-14 4:07 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

mmhm, can you tell me how did you setup the palm so that it worked...

do you have the APN in the phone? and if so, in which CID? first, second, or...? the no carrier error looks like you used the wrong CID number in the *99***1# number and in the extra dial string (cgdcont...)
 Top of the page
Johan Page Icon Posted 2005-12-01 9:03 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

hey

I tried all the different settings on the strings I could ... nothing seemed to work.

So Ive decided the 3650 must go, Got a choice of P910i or Nokia 9300, any idea which would work better with my HPC?, Don't want a repeat of the problems I had with the 3650.

Johan
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 12