x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

WORLDWIDE EXCLUSIVE: WORKING USB Mass Storage Driver for ARM HPC2K and Possibly MP890

1 2 3
iamjoe Page Icon Posted 2005-10-17 4:28 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I would like to elaborate on a working and possibly the best USB mass storage driver for ARM HPC2K machines, namely the HPC2000 VERSION OF NEC MP900 and the not-for-retail Calyx 300HC with a PXA250 300Mhz CPU that I gave a full review in this link. If most of the MP900 users have upgraded to CE.net, they could possibly skip this post. 

In fact, such a driver supports MIPS, SH3, SH4 and ARM CPU. It is highly possible that with this driver, the so-called NEC mobile pro 790 HPC2K machine will again gain the USB host capacity. So if you have an old HPC with USB host but cannot find the USB driver for thumb drive, my article is simply what you have been looking for. Just read on.

First the HPC2K NEC MP900 issue. It seems to me that I am possibly the first one to discover a working USB driver for HPC2K arm machine as most efforts by MP900 users are put to making the Deje PPC2002 USB driver to work on MP900, seemingly the only one HPC2K ARM machine with USB host, besides the special OEM product of NEC 300HC. Possibly due to the difference in driver structure or something, the modified Deje never worked on 300HC. The speed is very slow as 300HC takes ages to open the USB pen drive.

I suppose it is also the case with MP900, as I learned from an experienced HPC buff Cmonex in our forum in his/her great review of MP900.

In that review, Cmonex said “With the HPC2000 MP900 you can’t use many usb devices, except for a few mice and keyboards maybe….” With my driver installed, this statement is certainly not true. I dont believe the usb port on such a pricy MP900 should only connect to USB miceor keyboards.

Top of the page
iamjoe Page Icon Posted 2005-10-17 4:29 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

The right usb driver is simply not yet found. Because there is only model with USB host, the demand and efforts looking for a working driver on HPC2K arm might be limited. Another reason is that the working driver I found is located in the Byzantine NEC Japan website. This driver is rarely noticed or discussed in American or European HPC forums.

So I safely assume that other HPC pals have not yet found a working driver. I have not yet annouce this driver in Chinese HPC forums that have done a lot of discussions on Japanese HPCs. That is why I call this little post WORLDWIDE EXCLUSIVE.

The driver is called NEC USB Clik driver for WinCE. In fact, it is designed for HPC Pro machines and the last version was released in August 2000. But HPC pro drivers (or most of them) can be safely used on HPC2k machines. That is why the HPC Pro ARM version can be borrowed on NEC MP900.

Pls refer to my REVIEW ON CELUX 300HC for dl address, performance notes and some notes. Just inside the Software tips part.

http://www.rothberger.net/pages/reviews/zx_celux300hc_english.shtml

Now, it is commercial time!!

I have finished three reviews on three different and great HPCs. One is on Celux (NEC) 300HC, an almost Louis Vuitton HPC from a Japanese Luxury Store called Celux; one on Sharp HC-AJ1. It is possibly one of the best HPC Pros; the last one is on NTT DoCoMo Sigmarion 2 (not 3).

My full review has been published on rothberger.net and joined the HPC review competition. If you are interested in these reviews, pls consider voting for me.

Sharp AJ1
http://www.rothberger.net/pages/reviews/zx_hcaj1_english.shtml

Celux (NEC) 300HC HPC2K machine with PXA250 300Mhz and full-sized USB host

DoCoMo Sigmarion 2 Predecessor of the powerful S3
http://www.rothberger.net/pages/reviews/zx_sig2_english.shtml

how to vote:

http://www.rothberger.net/pages/reviews_main.shtml
 Top of the page
iamjoe Page Icon Posted 2005-10-17 4:32 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

For the so-called MP890, just run the HPC Pro MIPS cab file. The USB capacities will probably be restored. The issue is that MP790 by default lacks USB host. I don't know whether it requires more software parts in the HPC2K OS besides the driver to implement usb host. If no, just run the usb driver on MP890 and the usb host is back again.

This Clik driver works great on MP880. I can connect to usb pen drives, usb-ide hdd and dc, etc. For the list, also refer to my review.

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-10-17 8:32 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

iamjoe - 2005-10-17 10:28 AM

I suppose it is also the case with MP900, as I learned from an experienced HPC buff Cmonex in our forum in his/her great review of MP900.

I dont believe the usb port on such a pricy MP900 should only connect to USB miceor keyboards.

actually i don't know it from experience..
but i guessed from your HC300 article that your driver could work on the 900 too.
of course its usb port is not limited to only mice and keyboards. this limit is software based as the 900C can fully utilize usb with ce.net.

i would like to have the clik drivers but i don't understand japanese. so if you could send them by email, i would be really grateful. and i would redist them on my hpc hacks site, so that everyone can use it... i cannot test it as i no longer have a hpc2k 900 (only 900C), but i'm certain others would gladly try.

thanks
 Top of the page
iamjoe Page Icon Posted 2005-10-17 9:08 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

cmonex - 2005-10-17 8:32 PM

iamjoe - 2005-10-17 10:28 AM

I dont believe the usb port on such a pricy MP900 should only connect to USB miceor keyboards.

actually i don't know it from experience..
but i guessed from your HC300 article that your driver could work on the 900 too.
of course its usb port is not limited to only mice and keyboards. this limit is software based as the 900C can fully utilize usb with ce.net.

i would like to have the clik drivers but i don't understand japanese. so if you could send them by email, i would be really grateful. and i would redist them on my hpc hacks site, so that everyone can use it... i cannot test it as i no longer have a hpc2k 900 (only 900C), but i'm certain others would gladly try.

thanks

In fact, by saying that you are an experienced HPC user, I mean that You are a "knowledgeable" or well-informed HPC buff. Maybe I have confused with these words.

As for the MP900 usb function, I also meant the limited usb uses on MP900 due to the lack of drivers. Of course, the usb port on MP900 is fully functional and can surely connect to different devices with proper driver. What you said is also what i am going to tell others.

That is why I said "I dont believe the usb port on such a pricy MP900 should only connect to USB miceor keyboards." We should ask for more.

I have also said in the beginning, "If most of the MP900 users have upgraded to CE.net, they could possibly skip this post." As we all know, MP900 and 900c share the same hardware.

Top of the page
iamjoe Page Icon Posted 2005-10-17 9:14 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

for driver, I dont know it is appropriate to post direct link in forums. For me, the network etiquette requires that only the starting hompage should be posted.

anyway, maybe the direct HTML page is oK.

http://search.casnavi.nec.co.jp/module_search/program/Module_Detail.asp?MODULE_NO=789

Just download the cab file for Jornada 820. Yes, it uses Strong ARM 190Mhz CPU. It is still compatible with PXA255 400CPU on MP900.

対応機種 HP Jornada 820 (F1260A #ABJ)用
     (cl_sa112.cab 79973byte)

I dont know whether it is appropriate to redistrict the driver pact in your website as the driver seems to be copyrighted software owned by NEC Japan. Your thoughts? If needed, I could still send 2 u via email.
 Top of the page
GLE
GLE Page Icon Posted 2005-10-17 2:34 PM
#
I tried the USBclik on my mobilepro 900 (HPC 2000) and it worked. After install, be sure you reset your device. I can read/write to a lexar jumpdrive secure 256MB with ease. And it is pretty fast too.

Did not seem to recognize my Soyo cigar drive, but I just tried it once. Did not have time to ply around with it as I was late for an appointment.

Thanks for the heads up on this. Pretty cool to have this capability.

GLE
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-10-17 5:56 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

hey that's nice. glad to hear it works for someone.

iamjoe: i think usually it is not a problem to post the direct link. you have a point with copyrights though. so i'll just post the link on my site...
 Top of the page
GLE
GLE Page Icon Posted 2005-10-17 10:00 PM
#
Ok--so with a little more time on my hands, I tried the Soyo Cigar Drive (20GB) with my MP 900 and the new USBclik driver installed.

Drum roll please.

It works with the little 20GB harddrive too.

Neat driver. I suppose I need to wokr with it a bit to see if there are any problems. But it would seem this driver does give USB strorage capabilities to the MP900. So I suppose I will continue to put off buying the upgrade ROM for my MP as the main reason I wanted it was mass storage capabilities.

So thanks again for the infomation. I'm sure a lot of us MP 900 users will put this to use.

GLE
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-10-17 10:19 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Now what the 720 users need is a pc card that gives usb host... I have plenty of linux drivers for those...maybe I will find one.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-10-17 11:48 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

GLE - 2005-10-18 4:00 AM

Ok--so with a little more time on my hands, I tried the Soyo Cigar Drive (20GB) with my MP 900 and the new USBclik driver installed.

Drum roll please.

It works with the little 20GB harddrive too.

Neat driver. I suppose I need to wokr with it a bit to see if there are any problems. But it would seem this driver does give USB strorage capabilities to the MP900. So I suppose I will continue to put off buying the upgrade ROM for my MP as the main reason I wanted it was mass storage capabilities.

So thanks again for the infomation. I'm sure a lot of us MP 900 users will put this to use.

GLE

lol so you didn't heard the news that the ROM upgrade was discontinued a few months ago. i think it was discontinued in June.
 Top of the page
GLE
GLE Page Icon Posted 2005-10-18 2:32 AM
#
Nope--did not hear about the ROM going the way of the dinosaur. But I never really seriously considered buying one anyway. I'm fine with my MP 900 as a 900. Especially with the USB mass storage driver.

Later,

GLE
 Top of the page
hpcpro Page Icon Posted 2005-10-18 7:05 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

HP7XX user have for a long time ago massive storage too.
This theme is very old.

And we have too a Clik drive for HPC2000(MIPS and ARM):
http://www.pocketpcfaq.com/peripherals/otherstorage.htm

A portable HD connected to a HP7XX:
http://www.todopocketpc.com/foro/showthread.php?t=17057&highlight=externo+disco

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-10-18 7:23 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Jose,

Yes Clik drives have been around for a long time, and have worked on the H/PC.

iamjoe is reiterating the fact that there are drivers for the USB version of the Clik drive - not the PCMCIA version; and that as a nice side effect it acts as a partial USB Mass storage driver (USB Flash Memory driver).
 Top of the page
hpcpro Page Icon Posted 2005-10-18 8:59 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Yes

But HP7XX users need hardware as CF USBHost:
http://news.mydrivers.com/pages/20040630150932_45908.htm
http://www.twin-paradox.com/SEPDA.html

But I don´t know nobody who use these wm 2003 drivers and the CF USB Host on HP7XX.

Any solution?
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.296 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 11