x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

need implementation comments on ce-app using IRDA

Sting Page Icon Posted 2005-10-20 10:07 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Yo!

I'd like to develop an app for my Jornada 720 which can be controlled via irda.

Imagine a simple timer which can be started, stopped and nulled by receiving the appropriate signals over the irda-port.

I have programming experience with WINAPI (just a little bit), MFC (not much, but more than with WINAPI), C/C++ in general (console applications), Java (quite a lot) and the usual scripting languages.

What I'd like to know: how complex is it to access the irda-port? Can I just use an existing irda-driver-class as an interface between the app and the irda-port? I have no darn clue, but I'm eager to learn ;-)

I've already downloaded the eVt 3.0 and the appropriate HPC 2000 SDK.

I appreciate any help.

Ciao,
Jason.
 Top of the page
fragenmensch Page Icon Posted 2005-10-20 1:47 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Use the serial port. On HPs it is normally COM3. Well, I do not know if handhake &co is supported.but under c++ there it should be possible to use normal serial i/o functions.

marco
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-10-20 3:57 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

It is possible to do it, there are different IR apps out there that can communicate with remote controls and other IR devices.
However I believe that you will need to brush up on both the WinCE API, and WinSock to do it... and that's before you get to the IrDA Protol Standard.

You will need to create a daeom to strobe the IR port for activity, as CE itself doesn't listen for IR activity as a power saving measuer. So your app may have a significant hit on battery life if you plan to make this a portable thing.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-10-20 8:02 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Or you could just have the app use the irda when it is told to, such as giving it a send and receive command. That way, it won't be killing your battery the second you start it.

If there are any open-source programs that use irda, you should check into those. Look around, there must be something of use.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-10-20 10:51 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Sting, you may want to start reading this

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/wcecomm5/html/wce51coninfraredcommunications.asp

Depending on how or what is sending the ir commands to your j720, you may choose either to establish a irda-network link thingie, or listen on the comm port that the irda is using and respond to it very much like a standard "modem" like device in a sync manner.

You should be able to do everything within C++.

EDIT: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/wcecomm5/html/wce51conIrDAOverview.asp

Edited by Snappy! 2005-10-20 10:55 PM
 Top of the page
Sting Page Icon Posted 2005-10-22 3:50 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Yo!

Thanks a lot for all the information you've provided me with - now I have some sort of overview and can get started.

I'll keep you updated on my progress!

Ciao,
Jason.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.125 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 10