x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Recomendations on an HPC 2000 Device

1 2
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2005-10-22 3:35 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

cmonex - 2005-10-21 3:35 PM

tenjeangosi: these two machines are great but if you can't get them or don't want japanese:
J72x, NEC 790, 900, intermec 6651 are the best. the best value for the money is the 790, yeah..

I think the J720 and J728 come close to the MP790 value-wise. I got my 790 on eBay earlier this month for $150 USD, but I got lucky - most of them were going for nearly $100 more. The one I really want is the 6651, but they're going for an ARM and a leg on eBay.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2005-10-22 9:43 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

The Jornada 720/728 may only come close to the Mobilepro 790 value-wise, but it far exceeds the 790 in return-value-wise. Wish I had one...

Rich

Edited by Rich Hawley 2005-10-22 9:46 AM
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-10-22 10:29 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Well, the Jornada 728 will always be my dream device... However, they are just too expensive for me 300 USD and up and maybe 10 bids on each one on eBay...
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-10-22 10:54 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

Rich Hawley - 2005-10-22 3:43 PM

The Jornada 720/728 may only come close to the Mobilepro 790 value-wise, but it far exceeds the 790 in return-value-wise. Wish I had one...

Rich

so you're becoming a jornada fan?
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2005-11-07 3:21 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I'll add my thoughts now, even though it might be a bit late
(most replies are 21/10/2005, in english format! ).
Anyway, it depends what you do with the device, I am probably along with the crowd in having a MP and Jornada. So now that I tried both, heres my opinion:

The Jornada first:
Mine is a 718 (which is its designtion on paper only! Its not a 718 however!), the great thing about the device is the arm procesor, easy accessible backup battery (and works with 2025 to 2032 batteries!) and the nice stylus arrangement. I also found the audio buttons a very useful feature when for example I am on the train and want to listen toi music, the play/pause button, volume up and volume down button is all I need. (Well, the SKIP button sometimes too!). The size also means that I can chuck it into any back, along with my laptop and take it everywhere. Oh and 2 way to plug in power and sync? (On the unit AND on the docking station). Also syncs via usb (Docking station only!). The arm processor is a great choice this time around too, so is the low battery consumption (I have yet to flatten both batteries in one day!)

The bad points are the 71 key keyboard and the rather small footprint can be hard to touch type without making a mistake sometimes. The small screen can take some getting use too and it won't fit EVERYONES pocket. Oh and the case is easy to scratch. No USB port either is another limit! (I'd love to have a thumbdrive plugged in, if only they created a Jornada 738! ).

Mobile Pro 780:
This older device I use more often, but it isn't that bad, the good points to begin with is the larger screen (Viewable from a metre away, with no difficaulties with my eyes!), the bigger keyboard is great to type on and still is holdable despite its size! A front CF socket is a good idea I thought, and so is the side PC card socket, as it stops me having to lift up the unit, turing it 180 and then put it back on the table (with a thud!). Oh and the smaller power brick is an excellent travelling companion too. I also find the scroll wheel pretty useful sometimes as it helps me to scroll though my long pages (I often write reams and reams of paper on the PC! ) (Don't stop me now, cos I am having a good time, having a good time, typing! )
The speaker is or seems to be better for sound too, and the sound is quite nice from the device, even though it is monosound. Oh and the rechargable backup battery is a good addition, because you don't need to buy them constantly, or look for an inadequate spare.

The bad points is the flat keyboard (rather than raised - the keyboard is a good and bad point for this reason) and the screen, which at full brightness, leaves a lot to be desired.
The battery seems to go a lot quicker than the jornada too, I have had to change the battery over on friday (as I now have 2 of them) and I still was left with around 80% of the battery power by the end of play on friday. The non-standard jack is a problem at times too (this I might solve a different way than a dongle).

So, there are my views.
The NEC Mobile Pro 900 would be another good idea, but these will tend to be .net devices and they don't get their full protentual going with the HPC2000 OS. USB would be a welcome addition however, so will the audio jack. The 300HC (or whatever it is called) attracted me, but when I saw the problems and the potentual for loosing the image, that put me off, so I'll avoid those, unless I rewite the image with an english OS. It'll also require a repaint, lets see, deep blue and silver for me?
Now, here is something to ask yourself, would you like something large and easy to type on (and not as portable?), or something small and hides everywhere? Do you need to see the big picture or the nitty gritty detail? How often are you away from a computer and power socket? 2 hours? 4 Hours? 8 Hours?
Are you likely to carry a laptop too and have the instant on/off device for class?
Is weight an issue?
You may not get a device that is perfect (this is my scenario anyway), but there is one with a close match. Both are good for the tasks I give them, but I seem to prefer the outdated larger and bussniess deivce rather than the sleeker and smaller consumer device. Those are m y thoughts anyway, either way, I do not use my pocket PC (iPAQ) as I used to, that has been consigned to a little corner on my desk sadly.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-07 11:30 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

CE Geek - 2005-10-22 9:35 AM

I think the J720 and J728 come close to the MP790 value-wise. I got my 790 on eBay earlier this month for $150 USD, but I got lucky - most of them were going for nearly $100 more. The one I really want is the 6651, but they're going for an ARM and a leg on eBay.

a 6651 just went for 202$.... some days ago. on ebay.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-11-07 11:43 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Thanks, Wes. Very helpful information. Oh, by the way, your comments are not late at all.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2005-11-08 3:20 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

cmonex - 2005-11-07 8:30 PM

CE Geek - 2005-10-22 9:35 AM

a 6651 just went for 202$.... some days ago. on ebay.

Yeah, I know . . . I bid $199 on it before going out of town, but then spent the weekend in the desert, far away from Internet access, and came back to find out that I had been outbid by only a few dollars.
 Top of the page
anakin
anakin Page Icon Posted 2005-11-08 9:11 AM
#
What about Fujitsu Pencentra 200 ... HPC 2000 edition? Any comments on this item? SOL
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-11-08 10:54 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Try Googling it. I know it is a tablet and I believe this is what it looks like...

EDIT: I think there is a review on it at:
www.fujitsupc.com/www/ products_pentablets.shtml?products/pentablets/pencentra_200

Edited by tenjeangosi 2005-11-08 10:58 AM

(BG03_p22_1.gif)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments BG03_p22_1.gif (19KB - 14 downloads)
 Top of the page
iamjoe Page Icon Posted 2005-11-10 11:59 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

My Comments:

Pencentra 200 is an industrial device. Probably not best for odrianry hPc users. It has a FAST indeed CPU - Toshiba TX3922, the same as Intermec 6651. Running only on 129Mhz, 6651 scores around 330 in BMQ benchmark.

My Sharp Cuite Sharp HC-AJ1 with the same CPU and winCE 2.1x scores 291 in BMQ, much faster than NEC MP880.

Again, BMQ score is not everything. But it surely gives you a general idea of how an HPC would perform.

Back to PenCentra 200, it has no hardware keyboard. This puts a lot of users off. As to compensate, it has PS/2 keyboard connector, Serial, VGA out, USB HOST and TWO PC Card Slots.

You could probably use a deluxe and comfortable PC KB with this HPC and write something. No noise at all.

Two PC Card Slots could find the way for some EXtra purposes. Surely, the USB CLIK driver i detailed on works great on this Fujitsu.

One disadvantage: the screen only supports 256 colors. This wastes its great CPU power.

For me, Multimedia on HPC is not a No.1 priority. But I just want it ready when needed. Say making some presentations on HPCs or view pics.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.265 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 9