x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Editorial: It's Time for Mobile Office Applications to Go

1 2 3
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-10-21 6:38 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

It is a rather bold statement, one that is especially easy to dismiss out of hand. Should Windows embedded devices continue to ship with Mobile editions of Microsoft Office? Is there a better way? and, is the Pocket Office suite even relevant?

For Handheld PC users, Pocket Office marked a line in the sand when we lost it through the move into non-platform release territory. Could the removal of Office from current platform release place us on an more equal footing with the Windows Mobile series, and even benefit the Handheld PC in general?

Clinton Fitch reflects upon the future of the embedded office suite in the Windows CE World.

Let us know what you think here on the forum.

View: It's Time for Mobile Office Applications to Go
 Top of the page Quote Reply
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-10-21 6:55 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Clinton,

I agree with you completely... Excellent review, I might add... What is the point of having an extremely slimmed down pocket office, when you could get a full pocket office, that takes up about 300 MB on a CF or SD card...

Joseph

EDIT: Spelling Error...

Edited by tenjeangosi 2005-10-21 6:57 PM
bradkent
bradkent Page Icon Posted 2005-10-21 8:20 PM
#
I agree completely with the editorial. The need to exchange documents, make an edit and send it back, etc. means we need robust office applications that support all the features and formatting of the desktop apps.

A simple Pocket Excel spreadsheet is OK for my personal stuff, but people send me more complex spreadsheets all the time. I use PTab on my 728 which gets most, but not all, the job done. I also have the full suite of Clearview applications which gives me read-only for a lot of stuff. But, still the experience is limiting and issues have arisen when I am on the road with just the 728 (trying to travel light, you know).

Times have changed and the office apps need to grow up.

clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2005-10-21 9:02 PM
#
Avatar image of clintonfitchdotcom
H/PC Elite

tenjeangosi - 2005-10-21 5:55 PM

Clinton,

I agree with you completely... Excellent review, I might add... What is the point of having an extremely slimmed down pocket office, when you could get a full pocket office, that takes up about 300 MB on a CF or SD card...

Joseph

EDIT: Spelling Error...

Yup, exactly my thoughts as well. As I said in the editorial, storage is cheap these days and people will use it IF the product meets their needs.

Thanks for your comments.
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2005-10-21 9:04 PM
#
H/PC Elite

bradkent - 2005-10-21 7:20 PM

I agree completely with the editorial. The need to exchange documents, make an edit and send it back, etc. means we need robust office applications that support all the features and formatting of the desktop apps.

A simple Pocket Excel spreadsheet is OK for my personal stuff, but people send me more complex spreadsheets all the time. I use PTab on my 728 which gets most, but not all, the job done. I also have the full suite of Clearview applications which gives me read-only for a lot of stuff. But, still the experience is limiting and issues have arisen when I am on the road with just the 728 (trying to travel light, you know).

Times have changed and the office apps need to grow up.

Thanks for posting your comments Brad. You face what a lot of H/PC owners face (as well as P/PC owners ): Having to use multiple 3rd party apps that are disjointed to do things that are rather seamless on the desktop PC.

Heck, I've even got a name picked out for my idea! Microsoft Office Mobile Edition

cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-10-21 9:05 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

why strip out the basic office? if i just have the device itself and nothing else it is good to have at least that.

i agree with the editorial about everything else.
clintonfitchdotcom Page Icon Posted 2005-10-21 9:13 PM
#
H/PC Elite

cmonex - 2005-10-21 8:05 PM

why strip out the basic office? if i just have the device itself and nothing else it is good to have at least that.

i agree with the editorial about everything else.

The key word in your post is "basic".

I can see your point but I don't agree with you on it. Most people who use the "basic" office applications on their devices - P/PC or H/PC - end up either really pissed off in a short period of time or end up buying something (or both).

I say just save the ROM space (especially in Windows Mobile 5 devices where that is now golden territory) and built a better mousetrap.

cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-10-21 10:01 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

clintonf3 - 2005-10-22 3:13 AM

I can see your point but I don't agree with you on it. Most people who use the "basic" office applications on their devices - P/PC or H/PC - end up either really pissed off in a short period of time or end up buying something (or both).

I say just save the ROM space (especially in Windows Mobile 5 devices where that is now golden territory) and built a better mousetrap.

ok then i'm the exception. i'm happy with hpc pocketword. works 90% of the time for me. i think that's decent from a 5 year old "pocket" application.
of course i don't expect it to always work and then textmaker or a ce.net viewer helps me out.
and really you can end up with a situation where you have only the device itself. i don't want to go palm's way where you can't have a built in office! (or has it changed since then and docs to go is preinstalled in rom?)

of course, if i had to decide between a builtin pocket office and the separate full fledged mobile office, i would need to choose the later.

Edited by cmonex 2005-10-21 10:05 PM
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-10-21 10:08 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

The only problem with this idea (well, not exactly a big problem), but think on how expensive the full mobile suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, and Outlook), hey that is almost the Office 2003 Profesional, except without Publisher. Are people ready to fork on about another 2-300 USD to Microsft?

Joseph
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2005-10-22 4:03 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

When I first read the editorial, I was feeling a lot like cmonex. The features in the Office apps in my H/PCs are pretty good, and cover nearly all of my needs. But then, while reading this thread, I thought, wouldn't it be really cool if I could choose colors of text, highlight words with colors, and insert images in documents, as I can do on desktop Word? That got me thinking, maybe a full version of Word would be a good idea. The only thing I'd worry about is the expense. At least one doesn't have to pay for embedded apps placed in ROM. So now I'm not really sure what my opinion is.
msafi Page Icon Posted 2005-10-22 6:19 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

i totally agree with the editorial. i also have used TextMaker on my Jornada 720 and it was a pleasure, especially being able to save formats and such.

the editorial makes perfect sense for Handheld PCs.

however, extensive text editing is really not the PocketPCs' specialty. i know some people probably still want to do it, but c'mon, there are only a handful of VGA PPCs. most are QVGA. do you really wanna do extensive text editing on a QVGA screen? i don't know...

regarding, cmonex and clintonf point of views. Can't companies create customizable ROMs?

like, before you run your handheld device for the first time, you insert the ROM dvd into the desktop/laptop, customize the ROM through a user-friendly program, then flash it into the handheld device? can't that be done? i'm not a technical person, but if the technology is not flexible enough to do that, they better invent something else!!

that way everything in the ROM would be optional and we wouldn't have to argue what should be in the ROM vs what shouldn't.
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-10-22 8:00 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

cmonex - 2005-10-22 3:01 AM

clintonf3 - 2005-10-22 3:13 AM

ok then i'm the exception. i'm happy with hpc pocketword. works 90% of the time for me. i think that's decent from a 5 year old "pocket" application.
of course i don't expect it to always work and then textmaker or a ce.net viewer helps me out.
and really you can end up with a situation where you have only the device itself. i don't want to go palm's way where you can't have a built in office! (or has it changed since then and docs to go is preinstalled in ROM?)

of course, if i had to decide between a built-in pocket office and the separate full fledged mobile office, i would need to choose the later.

Isn't the fact of the matter that the Handheld PC is already at this point? OK, so the Core devices come with WordPad - which is sometimes renamed Pocket Word (to Platform Builder it is Wordpad), but aside from that, the device is handicapped to its Operating System, with no suite currently existing for the form factor.
Based on it being a core device, there is nothing to say OEM's have to even put Wordpad on it in the first place - and then you're at the point where we are with Palm OS and the old Palm-Size PC ideal.

Having a fully fledged Office release from Microsoft could revitalise the form factor - the thin client paradigm could shift further into the office space... but only if the price is right. £600 is plain too much on the desktop, but in a market where you can pick up a low end (new) WM device for sub £150 and a core device for sub £500, the numbers plain do not add up.

msafi - 2005-10-22 11:19 AM

i totally agree with the editorial. i also have used TextMaker on my Jornada 720 and it was a pleasure, especially being able to save formats and such.

the editorial makes perfect sense for Handheld PCs.

however, extensive text editing is really not the PocketPCs' specialty. i know some people probably still want to do it, but c'mon, there are only a handful of VGA PPCs. most are QVGA. do you really wanna do extensive text editing on a QVGA screen? i don't know...

regarding, cmonex and clintonf point of views. Can't companies create customizable ROMs?

like, before you run your handheld device for the first time, you insert the ROM dvd into the desktop/laptop, customize the ROM through a user-friendly program, then flash it into the handheld device? can't that be done? I’m not a technical person, but if the technology is not flexible enough to do that, they better invent something else!!

that way everything in the ROM would be optional and we wouldn't have to argue what should be in the ROM vs what shouldn't.

This is what I was thinking when I first read Clint's editorial, however this would not be feasible. You would be empowering end users with the ability to create ROM images - something that is the realm of the Platform Builder, and for WM devices, isn't even in the consumer space. Creating your own ROM image is a Linux dream almost, not something I could see Microsoft going in for. The entire point of a platform release is 'One size fits all - and what you bolt on top of it is down to you'. Microsoft would need a very fierce change in direction for it to happen.

If you could customise your own ROM, there is the beginners problem of removing required dependencies, plain not understanding what they are doing and the insurmountable support costs that would be connected to the flash process. Forget Microsoft, the OEM's simply wouldn't have it!

Having given it a little though I came to the conclusion that there may be a better approach. WM5 device have in Place-ROM patching capabilities. The idea being in this security centric world of ours, that MS can issue patches through the OEM, and these patches will be permanently applied. The OEM then has the freedom to issue their own perma-firmware to devices (particularly useful for cell phone editions).
If Microsoft continued to ship Office Mobile Basic Edition with devices, and offered Office Movile Standard / Professional Editions as a sideline. They could have the Office Installer swap out the Basic edition from ROM, and in its footprint place library resource files which would enhance loading, performance and system plug-in’ (new today bits, registry and file associations, PIE ActiveX etc etc).
If you then hard reset your device, the OS level office bits are still able to talk to the system, alert you to the fact that the main file repository is unavailable and wait for an restoration upgrade. In the case of Outlook, one would hope it still able to connect to and make use of PIM functions irrespective of the installation state.

Anyway, that outlines my thinking here.

The cost of it is the largest consideration, as is the future proofing. Microsoft seems ever ready to aim for a new Platform release every 12-18 months. If they wish to charge using a desktop level pricing structure - or what is seen as a pricing comparatively exuberant, then it will never pay off.
mewiedman Page Icon Posted 2005-10-22 8:17 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Clinton's editorial has triggered a number of thoughts:

1. Now we know why HPCs were priced so high - to cover the cost of development for the Pocket Office suite! The high price of HPCs is one reason they failed.

2. HPCs failure was due to friendly fire - the desktop version of office suites moved on, offering more and more features, which then weren't duplicated by updates of the Pocket Versions.

3. I suppport Softmaker and love being able to do graphs on the handheld. But, I worked quite well within the limitations of the device for years before PlanMaker and TextMaker came on the scene.

4. I still do most of my HPC files in Pocket Word and Pocket Excel to save space, unless I need the feature set offered by PlanMaker or Textmaker.

5. The increased feature set for me comes at a performance penalty as well - it seems much faster to do simple spreadsheet work in Pocket Excel than waiting for PlanMaker to load up.

6. Sure, I'd love to have full featured office suite built in - fast running and full features, but then wouldn't the file size go up? Then my 1Gb CF card will start to look pretty small. (I need all that space for music and videos, you know ).

7. I think a Flash ROM office suite that could be updated might be the best. Also, knowing that MS will keep adding features of the Office suite, this is one way to have the performance without guaranteed obsolescence.

8. You can have different color fonts in Pocket Word, I'm missing the point there.

9. Getting the HPC through the family budget process was almost impossible when buying a new one. If I'd had to buy it and software as well, I wouldn't even have had one until they were available on e-bay. I would have missed years of utility and enjoyment.

10. I know there are risks to Flash ROM implementations, but I think there should be a Flash ROM for OS and a separate Flash ROM for Office Suite, preloaded with something that allows utility right out of the box.

11. The success of HPCs with this group is due to a number of factors (pun partially intended) - the knowledge transfer of this group, Henri's excellent collection of usable, feature enhancing software, the hard work of all those who developed that software, and the inherent advantages of the keyboard included format itself.
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-10-22 9:19 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

2. Really though, this isn't true. MS Office has changed little since Office 95, sure they merged exchange and Schedule+ to make Outlook and systematically tarted up the UI between each generation, but fundimentally they have added little in the way of new features - practically zero since Office 2000.
The Pocket Office was developed around the era of Office 95/97. I would say that it is the perception of Pocket Office not moving on, as ultimately 8 years later, neither have (save the new WM5 MO release)
Juergen Page Icon Posted 2005-10-22 9:23 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

mewiedman has made my point, too. Yes, I have Textmaker and Planmaker installed on my device, but still most of the time I'm using WordPad and Pocket Excel. Most of the time I want to input or edit short sets of data with no need to format them ready to print or whatsoever. I don't want to fire up a huge office suite to do so, just switch on my device, type in a few things and then switch it off again. Especially Pocket Excel is essential for me - input some numbers into a ready-made sheet which does some calculations automatically and get the results I need at once. Planmaker eats up my device's ram to much to have it up and running all the time. Same with Textmaker - too big for taking short notes. If there were no WordPad I would use some plain text editor for my notes and resent not being able to highlight important things. The only stuff I always missed in WordPad (since my first keyboard device was a Psion and I got used to a certain amount of text editing comfort): tables for structuring complex passages and embedded images. Both features are now included in WM 5.0's WordPad. I'm thankful for that.
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 28 - Executed queries : 53