x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

dumb wifi question

moz Page Icon Posted 2005-10-22 12:38 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I'm getting my first Jornada 720 in a few days along with a wireless Lucent 'bronze' card. This card only operates at 2mbps and has no WEP ability.

Just curious -- without WEP, does this mean I'll be broadcasting/visible to anyone within range? If so, does that mean they'll be able to access any of the files on my Jornada, or is there some sort of file sharing security etc..? When am I at risk? If I've assigned myself a static IP or a dynamic IP whilst connected to a LAN?

moz
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-10-22 1:10 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

na no one will see the files as CE doesnt have file sharing capabilities. if your PC has a firewall and it is on the wlan without wep it wont be accessible either
 Top of the page
CardBoardCrusader
CardBoardCrusader Page Icon Posted 2005-10-22 9:56 PM
#
Sorry for the off-topic post, but I'm sitting in the highest section of the stadium right now at the University of Oregon State Marching Band Competition!!!!(Eugene, Oregon) I never thought I would get WiFi on my MP790 a quarter mile high in the air. This is sooo awesome. They don't seem to have WEP here, so It was easy to connect. I had to use my PSP(Playstation Portable) in order to get a site survey, because I need the exact SSID, and I don't have a site survey program on my MP790 at the moment.
So, does anyone have any idea where I can get a site survey program for my 790?
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-10-22 10:04 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

CardBoardCrusader - 2005-10-22 7:56 PM

Sorry for the off-topic post, but I'm sitting in the highest section of the stadium right now at the University of Oregon State Marching Band Competition!!!!(Eugene, Oregon) I never thought I would get WiFi on my MP790 a quarter mile high in the air. This is sooo awesome. They don't seem to have WEP here, so It was easy to connect. I had to use my PSP(Playstation Portable) in order to get a site survey, because I need the exact SSID, and I don't have a site survey program on my MP790 at the moment.

I did not find a program but here is link to a site that allows you to locate a hotspot. You can search if spot is free, pay, etc. Here is link...

http://www.jiwire.com/server-error.htm

I will look for a program in meantime, though.

Joseph
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-10-22 11:09 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

CardBoardCrusader - 2005-10-23 3:56 AM

hey that's GREAT!
didn't know the PSP can be used as a wifi scanner

anyway don't worry.. i know of at least three wifi scanners (i.e. site survey apps) that work on hpc2000. not sure about MIPS.

ministumbler
pocketwinc
pocketwarrior

check if any of these has a MIPS version. the latter two are pocketpc apps, if you find a MIPS version of them, i'll post the hacks for them on my site.
 Top of the page
CardBoardCrusader
CardBoardCrusader Page Icon Posted 2005-10-24 1:23 AM
#
I'm back from my band trip! Thanks for the help. I tried the wifi search engine, it worked great. But I have yet to find the programs that CmoneX had mentioned. I'm going to do that now.

Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.188 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 9