x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

EDGE GPRS on Jornada 720 via IRDA?

Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2005-10-24 12:48 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I recently upgraded my SE T610, which I had been using for GPRS internet access with my J720, to a Nokia 6620. I really like the 6620, MUCH more so that the SE, but I have been unable to get it to communicate with my Jornada via IRDA. I set up the phone for t-mobile's unlimited internet access and I can get online from the phone or via bluetooth from my PC (my J720 doesn't have a bluetooth card, so can't test), but I have had no luck getting the phone and J720 to communicate via IRDA. I am using HP's dialer and have tried a wide variety of phone numbers/init strings and speed settings. Has anyone gotten this or a similar series 60 Nokia phone to work and if so, what settings did you use?

I read in the following forum post that some Nokia phones may need an additional init string passed after the "phone number" and that with some providers this string is too long to fit in the text box, which since CE 1 has had a limit of 40 characters. I have been spending an inordinate ammount of time and went to the extent of hacking a 3rd party dialer to work under HPC 2000. It appears to be functioning, but when I dial the connection, it still comes back with a "carrier not found" type message and no indication from the phone that a connection attempt was being made. Please someone throw me a bone before I gnaw my hands off!

http://pocketpcmag.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17837
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-10-24 4:53 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Rocketman - 2005-10-24 6:48 AM

I recently upgraded my SE T610, which I had been using for GPRS internet access with my J720, to a Nokia 6620. I really like the 6620, MUCH more so that the SE, but I have been unable to get it to communicate with my Jornada via IRDA. I set up the phone for t-mobile's unlimited internet access and I can get online from the phone or via bluetooth from my PC (my J720 doesn't have a bluetooth card, so can't test), but I have had no luck getting the phone and J720 to communicate via IRDA. I am using HP's dialer and have tried a wide variety of phone numbers/init strings and speed settings. Has anyone gotten this or a similar series 60 Nokia phone to work and if so, what settings did you use?

I read in the following forum post that some Nokia phones may need an additional init string passed after the "phone number" and that with some providers this string is too long to fit in the text box, which since CE 1 has had a limit of 40 characters. I have been spending an inordinate ammount of time and went to the extent of hacking a 3rd party dialer to work under HPC 2000. It appears to be functioning, but when I dial the connection, it still comes back with a "carrier not found" type message and no indication from the phone that a connection attempt was being made. Please someone throw me a bone before I gnaw my hands off!

http://pocketpcmag.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17837

in one word: nokia SUCKS. with irda and bluetooth. you can see that now.

try the terminal app on your 720, you can test the strings there. if that works i'd recommend dialupmaster though it is a little tricky to get that to work but at least it is fully compatible with hpc2000
don't forget to use AT at the beginning of each init string, if you use terminal. if you don't use that, don't put AT there.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.125 - Cached queries : 59 - Executed queries : 9