x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Gmail web or pop via CE 2.0 possible?

Jasen
Jasen Page Icon Posted 2005-10-25 1:00 PM
#
Hi again

I'm curious, has anyone been able to find a combo of software or settings to allow access to a gmail account from a windows CE 2.0 H/PC?

Not sure if Gmail's pop settings are compatible with software such as nPop and Outlook CE . also pretty sure I won't be able to access it via the website through the browser that comes with 2.0.. is there a better browser available that might be able to handle a little more than html 1.0?

I'm also running through cradle net connection/proxy so secure connections arent possible via tcp/ip.

Cheers..

Jasen.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-10-25 2:01 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

if you cant use secure connections via the cradle forget gmail.

qmail3 can handle gmail.. npop also if you can setup a ssl channel with another soft..

the browser won't work if gmail requires 128 bit ssl (i dont know for sure how much they require). if it can satisfy the security requirements you have a chance to log in as they support older browsers now
 Top of the page
Jasen
Jasen Page Icon Posted 2005-10-26 12:58 PM
#
Just an update on the Gmail situation for legacy devices..
I've been investigating.. really should do some work.....nah.

Some of you will be aware of a project called 'gmail-lite' which is a PHP server oriented package which provides a converted HTML 1.0 (very simple) interface for you to log in and access your gmail via the web.

If you do a couple searches on google you can find existing servers that people have set up or you may prefer to run your own.. in any case, I have found that it's pretty impressive as far as accessing my Gmail goes from pocket explorer 2.0 on my handheld.. I would imagine it's a lot nicer when used with anything newer than my old 360lx.

I had to go through a few different servers before I found one that seemed to work on my very old explorer version. I wont post it here as it's a private one however a search of Google for 'gmail-lite' will show up quite a few that are available, some are inactive and some are great!, I beleive a search for '+pirana +gmail-lite' will turn something up.. If you are interested, try and find one that once you have logged in, displays 'version 0.9' at the bottom right. this is the newest version.

There is also a site called 'Web2mail' which is an anonymous way of checking your gmail via the web too (any pop email for that matter). they even have a simple PDA optimised entry page:
http://mail2web.com/pda

you can easily send mail from your PDA here with attachments using your favourite pop, imap account however it only displays unopened 'new' emails .. wheras gmail-lite gives you all your folders.

Check it out..

Jasen.
 Top of the page
Jasen
Jasen Page Icon Posted 2005-10-26 1:03 PM
#
oh and....

be careful where you submit your passwords.. who knows who may own some of the gmail-lite servers.. and what html tags they have attached that may log your details..

Since Gmail has extended your 'giveaway' email accounts to about 100 now (on mine anyway), I just set up a fakie to use when searching for a reliable gmail-lite server that I will stick with for my real gmail email account...

if you get scared, just go change your password when you're done searching.

Jasen.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 59 - Executed queries : 8