x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Ericsson MC12 (HP620LX) keyboard problems

BrianD
BrianD Page Icon Posted 2005-10-25 1:51 PM
#
I have just received an Ericsson MC12, a rebadged version of the HP 620LX.
Everything is fine but some of the keys do not work. In particular, keys "4" to "0" in the top row, the "T" key below, the left shift and Backspace (I might have forgotten some).

I have opened the machine and checked the flat cable, but it seems fine.
I have also tried to reseat the flat cable by loosening the plastic holder on the main circuit board, removing the cable completely and putting it back in place, with no success.
(It is really very bad that the keyboard itself cannot be opened, without breaking everything!)

The only thing I haven't done yet is to try to remove the single keys: they have two hinges on each side and I fear they will break as soon as I try to pull them away.

**Any** hint/help would be useful.

I have used for years Psion machine, and I still use on the road a fantastic 5mx Pro. But I was fascinated by the idea of testing an an old HPC machine like the MC12/620LX, above all since I learnt I could install Linux/BSD Unix on it!

Cheers
Sabino
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-10-25 4:21 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

actually this is the HP 320LX clone, not 620LX 620LX is a colour hpc with CE 2.0 or 2.11. your MC12 is likely to have the first version of CE, CE 1.0 (or has it been upgraded to CE 2?).

it won't be fair to compare this first version of HPC's to a 5mx pro running the 5th release of its operating system IMO, epoc ER5 is functionally equal to HPC Pro (CE 2.11).

not sure if you can install linux on it.. better to have a HP620LX or higher for that. or the 5mx pro.. you can install linux on that too
but i hope you'll still like it! and if you fall in love with hpc's you can upgrade to a 620LX or similar

btw i've had psions myself.. 3a and MC218... 5mx clone they're great too!

i have no idea about your hardware problem hope others will be able to help!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-10-25 5:10 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Worse case, I *think* I have a couple of MC12 International keyboards somewhere that could be used to replace yours, if the price were right.
 Top of the page
BrianD
BrianD Page Icon Posted 2005-10-26 3:21 PM
#
> actually this is the HP 320LX clone, not 620LX

sure, you are right, I have always been bad in remembering these arcane numbering schemes.

> it won't be fair to compare this first version of HPC's to a 5mx pro running the 5th release
> of its operating system IMO, epoc ER5 is functionally equal to HPC Pro (CE 2.11).

You are right and I didn't want too. A 5mx/mx pro is an evolute machine, and comes 4 or 5 years later than the MC12/320LX. And the OS is in my opinion much better than Win CE or Win Mobile, for that matter. Very stable and efficient.

> but i hope you'll still like it! and if you fall in love with hpc's you can upgrade to a 620LX or similar

I really like it. I fell in love with those tiny machines several years ago, just when they originally come out. A computer in the palm (well... palms...) of your hand, with a real keyboard, always ready without boot time, becames more and more useful each day of use.

It is really BAD that HPC machines are so rare nowadays. I don't want a detachable, folded keyboard, a want a full keyboard!

Sabino
 Top of the page
BrianD
BrianD Page Icon Posted 2005-10-26 3:30 PM
#
It would be really useful for me. For the price: well it depends from you. I have paid the MC12 just a few euros, but I really would like to **use** it, not only to look at it.

Could you please give me an idea of your price?? Maybe privately?

Bye
Sabino
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-10-26 4:02 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Where abouts in the universe are you located?
 Top of the page
BrianD
BrianD Page Icon Posted 2005-10-26 4:33 PM
#
C:Amie - 2005-10-26 4:02 PM

Where abouts in the universe are you located?

Much closer than Alpha Centauri...
just Italy.

Sabino
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-10-27 11:20 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

BrianD, I have fomalised this in hpcBay. Please continue discussion there:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=2687
 Top of the page
Jump to forum: