x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Device Driver for Wireless lan card

Ravinder Singh
Ravinder Singh Page Icon Posted 2005-10-27 5:36 AM
#
HI friends,

I am new to this forum. I was searching on wince.net ddk. My company has got some assignment for developing drivers for Wireless lan card on wince.net platform. Can anyone help me to find the way, where can i start. I mean any specific link or resource we need to follow.For your information i am a VC++ Programmer

regards
ravinder
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-10-27 11:42 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Moved to the Developers Arena

Driver development for WinCE is not as easy as app development. The DDK is part of Platform Builder, and not bart of the SDK or a stand-alone application.
What I am not clear on what the SDK in conjunction with Visual Studio 2003+ will give you in terms of documentation. I can tell you that you cannot do it with VC4.

If you want to get hold of Platform Builder (very pricy) you'll need to phone Microsoft anyway, as you have to be OEM registered to get it. If you're doing that you may as well explain the situation to them, andI'm sure they'll be able to tell you if there is a cheaper alternative.
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2005-11-03 4:33 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Chris, close but no cigar for you today

There's three classes of device driver for Windows CE: Native drivers, bus drivers (no puns please) and stream drivers.

Native drivers are created by the OEM to allow WinCE to talk to the hardware platform and take the form of touchscreen, keyboard or other low-level system device drivers. You do need Platform Builder to build those.

Bus drivers provide the interface to system buses (PCI, SD, PCMCIA, CF etc) - again, PB is needed in some instances depending on the architecture.

Stream drivers are standard DLLs with 10 entry points that *can* be build using EVC4. There's a good chapter introducing device driver writing in Doug Boling's "Programming Windows CE .net" book, and I'd recommend you hunt that down or search through MSDN for more information.

You should be able to write this with EVC4, however you might have fun getting the necessary information on the lower level of the stack, etc, that expects to use you and also you'll need information on the bus that you're using - again, you should use the existing driver for that though.

Good luck! Please keep us informed as to progress that you make as I'm fascinated by this, but won't have the chance to do what you're doing.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-11-03 11:20 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Fair enough. I was right about the DDK though.. and this wasn't today... it was last month
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.172 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 8