x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Corrosion on modem crashing powerbook?

sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-10-28 2:31 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

C:Amie is probably going to delete my account for this one..

Yes, it is about a MAC, a 13 year old powerbook duo 210. Although, that does not really matter. Anyways, inside of it is an express modem, essentially, one of the first win(mac?)modems.

It is corroded, slightly...maybe moderately. I installed the Express Modem drivers 1.5.2, 2. something, then finally 3.02. But again and again, I can turn the modem on, but shutting it off not only crashes the duo, but then cuts off its power. Yes, that means it can only reboot off the ac adaptor, so it figures itself out. This would not really be a problem, but as Mac OS 7.5.5 goes through the shut down sequence, it tells the modem to shut off. So it actually crashes on shutdown. Now, I highly doubt that Apple would screw up royally in this way, that all of its drivers cause the computer to crash. Actually, the chances of that are very slim. So I believe it to be the corrosion, as even when the modem is on, it doesn't seem to really do anything. And since the secondary power button is connected to it and sometimes does not work, it adds more suspicion to that stuff building up on the IC's. Funny enough, it is the only part of the computer to corrode, the rest is perfect. I guess it was not sealed as well, it has more brown silicon color than green.

Then again, considering that the keyboards would self-destruct (I repaired mine with a silver pen), this problem does not surprise me that much. And I cannot find any other past mail lists with this same problem, proving my point further.

So my question is, as I have nothing to lose (C:Amie... ), how do I remove the corrosion? Dropping it in a bucket of alcohol?

-I would prefer it to not be very abrasive, but I will scrub a little if necessary.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-10-28 5:05 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

ProgramSynthesiser - 2005-10-28 12:31 AM

C:Amie is probably going to delete my account for this one..

Yes, it is about a MAC, a 13 year old powerbook duo 210. Although, that does not really matter. Anyways, inside of it is an express modem, essentially, one of the first win(mac?)modems.

It is corroded, slightly...maybe moderately. I installed the Express Modem drivers 1.5.2, 2. something, then finally 3.02. But again and again, I can turn the modem on, but shutting it off not only crashes the duo, but then cuts off its power. Yes, that means it can only reboot off the ac adaptor, so it figures itself out. This would not really be a problem, but as Mac OS 7.5.5 goes through the shut down sequence, it tells the modem to shut off. So it actually crashes on shutdown. Now, I highly doubt that Apple would screw up royally in this way, that all of its drivers cause the computer to crash. Actually, the chances of that are very slim. So I believe it to be the corrosion, as even when the modem is on, it doesn't seem to really do anything. And since the secondary power button is connected to it and sometimes does not work, it adds more suspicion to that stuff building up on the IC's. Funny enough, it is the only part of the computer to corrode, the rest is perfect. I guess it was not sealed as well, it has more brown silicon color than green.

Then again, considering that the keyboards would self-destruct (I repaired mine with a silver pen), this problem does not surprise me that much. And I cannot find any other past mail lists with this same problem, proving my point further.

So my question is, as I have nothing to lose (C:Amie... ), how do I remove the corrosion? Dropping it in a bucket of alcohol?

-I would prefer it to not be very abrasive, but I will scrub a little if necessary.

LOL, Andrew,

Could you possibly replace the modem/motherboard with a new one? Or you could get a SCSI or 25 pin Serial/Parallel external modem. Also, try reinstalling Mac OS 7.x...

Joseph
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-10-28 7:55 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I want an internal modem, so I can run it without lugging everything else around. Lol..1992, there is a modem on ebay for $29, but I would rather fix mine. I did reinstall mac os, and will try 7.1. Personally, I am hoping that it will crash 7.1, because a software problem would be terrible, I cannot fix one of those. Most likely, it is the hardware. Which is why I need to know how to take the corrosion off.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-10-30 10:58 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Can you put on Mac OS 8.0, well wait, I do not think it is possible. Ok back on topic, does your notebook have PCMCIA slots. Please say yes, because you could probably put a modem in the slot. On the corrosion thing, I cannot help you there, but if the modem is on eBay, get it. $29 is not a bad price at all...

EDIT: Spell Error

Edited by tenjeangosi 2005-10-30 11:17 AM
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-10-30 5:01 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Come on people, this was 13 years ago.

No, the point of the duo was to make the lightest laptop possible at that time, and it is 4lbs. So all it has is an 80mb hard drive, and in the back of the computer, a PDS (processor direct slot) that allowed it to connect to a variety of docks that had access to every pin on the processor (something I could find useful on my 720...) . So it could slide into this huge computer with a hole in the front almost like a videocassette, and would then become a full sized computer.

Enough with the history, the point is that no, it does not have pcmcia. And I did find a way to get rid of corrosion, but the details are iffy. It requires me putting it into vinegar, and scrubbing it a bit with a q-tip (q-tip is my idea. ). Then let it sit in medical alcohol for a bit, blow it dry, and let it air-dry for a day or two (two).

The only problem is, how long do I leave it in the vinegar? Same with the medical alcohol? I do not want to ruin it by leaving it in there for too long...

Anyways, I looked at the board a little closer, and even have pictures of it now. It seems that all the capacitors near the phone jack are corroded, and everything else is fine. Except two wires from the connecting pins are corroded too. But this sounds like a capacitor problem (aren't they all...).

I really cannot lower the quality of these pics at all, otherwise the corrosion I am trying to show will not be visible (macro shot). So these images are being hosted by imageshack, not the forum. (Aren't I nice...)

EDIT: Ok, I am using thumbnails instead...
EDIT2: Geez this is hard to get right...

Edited by ProgramSynthesiser 2005-10-30 5:13 PM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 8