x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Left it on overnight... on battery!

takwu Page Icon Posted 2004-12-08 4:21 AM
#
H/PC Elder

And the amazing thing was... it only used 2/3 of my standard J728 battery.

The long story:
Last night, as usual, I went to the food court after work. While I was waiting for my takeout, I surfed a little with my handheld. The wifi is free, that's why I go there... ok and the food is good too. When my order was ready, I turned it off and went home. Usually when I get home, I'd still have to "work" a little; check email, read forums, and sync/charge the handheld. But I was quite tired, so I just skipped all that and relaxed

The next day. I did not turn on the handheld the whole morning... until 1:30 in the afternoon. I unzipped my bag and immediately noticed that the wifi card light was on. So I thought, "how did that happen..." I then took out the Jornada, which was *warm* I figured that was the wifi card; it does get warm after a while. But no, the other side of the bottom was warm too. I don't know if it was the 512MB CF, or the internal stuff, or both. Whatever it was, it got a pretty "steamy" workout last night. The screen-off indicator was blinking, so at least the screen didn't get that workout.

I turned it back on. The two webpages I had been reading was still loaded up, and the wifi was still set to connect to ANY, just as it was when I left the food court last night. Then I remembered, I didn't sync last night, or I would've "cleaned up" a bit as usual.

I quickly checked the battery indicator: 4 out of 12 blocks left. Even with the screen off, it couldn't have lasted from 6:30 pm to 1:30 pm the next day. So after a while, I remembered the midnight bug. And it didn't suspend automatically because I had IE loaded and wifi on. But still, from midnight to 1:30 pm, that's 13.5 hrs. Even tho it had the screen turned off and wifi in power saving mode, it was still an incredible battery life. And don't forget, there was still 1/3 left according to the indicator.

Try that with a laptop or PPC, huh!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-12-08 7:51 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I have 2 720's here.
One is up for external access by Clinton 'the guru' Fitch - Pinkie as is referred to around here.

However I only have the one AC adapter - which poses quite a problem. Frequently though I have been known to open up my 720 - Chloe for what it's worth - before bed and curse because the battery's flat, so I pull out the AC from the other one and charge up. The idea being that I come down after the bathroom run / laundry and so on and swap over.

I have been known to forget that part of the process.
Pinkie is permanently hooked-up to my Wired network here at home and is available 24/7 - always on. I've left it without AC all night and then to the end of the day - 15 / 16 hours. The V-RAM has still lived to tell the tale!

I did forget completly once a few weeks ago and go off for 60 hours... Took the RAM and my Coin Cell with it
I think 60 was pushing it though

Conclusion to this long winded tale: H/PC's rule
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2004-12-08 6:44 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Yeah, mine has a dying battery. It lasts 5 hrs max without a wifi card...But if I get that extended battery...
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2004-12-08 7:40 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I left mine on overnight! On AC! So yeah the screen DID NOT shut off. It was pretty hot and I was afraid that it was fried - the wifi card gets ridiculousely hot, and the since the screen was on but closed, a lot of heat was generated. Luckily lcd's don't burn in, I just wasted 9 hours of the backlight's life. The screen had the characteristic "brightness effect" from being on too long, but it was fine. Just like you takwu, I saw the led's from my wifi card on, and though uh-oh. Apparently when I unplugged my ac adapter for 2 sec's and plugged it back in, it turned my hpc on. Not knowing this, I went to sleep.

-This happened a few days ago, no idea why I didn't post this first.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2004-12-20 2:50 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Can't believe it...

Yep it happened again, almost exactly the same. It was saturday night last night, so I had good reason to not even take the HPC out of the bag. But after that second time, I think I'll take it out everyday from now on, and make sure it's turned off after midnight.

Is there no way to let it auto suspend with a wifi card inserted?

Any other suggestion to get around the midnight wakeup bug?
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2004-12-20 12:06 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

takwu - 2004-12-20 2:50 AM

Can't believe it...

Is there no way to let it auto suspend with a wifi card inserted?

Any other suggestion to get around the midnight wakeup bug?

This may seem silly, but why not just remove the WiFi card every night.....why leave it in and risk killing your battery when you are not even using it?

NEC provides Mobilepro 900 owners a Power Management update (corrects the issue where the unit turns on at midnight).

http://support.necsam.com/Downloads/search/default.htm

Also check out NEC 900 FAQ for their an explanation on the midnight wakeup issue.

http://support.necsam.com/faqs/display/default.asp?itemID=2001623

Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2004-12-20 10:53 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Thx, turns out it's not NEC's explanation, they have link to a MS Knowledge Base article about it.

But at least they made a patch, and MS didn't
I'll try the patch anyway, and hope this particular registry fix works the same on the Jornada.

Oh, as for why not remove the Wifi card:
1) if I remembered to take out the HPC at all, it'd be right there on the desk, and I can just turn it off after midnight manually. I don't go to bed early
2) I thought it's not a good idea to remove and insert the cards unnecessarily (either the CF part or the PC Card part). Wear and tear perhaps?
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-01-28 3:43 AM
#
H/PC Elder

It worked! So well that I forgot about it

After installing the patch, my Jornada stopped turning on at midnight. At first I wanted to make sure, so I waited... then I never noticed it anymore. The patch has quietly and completely eliminated the problem!

That was until after I had a hardreset + restore. Interestingly hp backup didn't get the patch restored. So my Jornada started turning on at midnight again. Applied the patch again, and it's gone.

Thank you so much Hurricane John!

C:Amie you might want to make a support page and mirror the patch
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-01-28 9:25 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

hmm.. i will try that with my 728 battery it's really great...
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2005-02-02 7:57 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

When I was running a server on my Sigmarion I, I left my poor H/PC with a CF Wifi card w/o ac adapter for maybe 16 hours, until i noticed that the battery was gone - along with all my server files (EEK) lol

After what I left the server on for nearly 5.6 months, the Sigmarion broke down.... (i think it was all okay until i dropped it by mistake one day..

but oh well, mobile gear 2 replaced it, and i'm quite happy with it...
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-02-02 7:28 PM
#
H/PC Elder

...and no one believed me when I said my hpc turned on in the middle of the night...
The patch only seems to work until you soft reset...I soft-reset right after and 10 minutes later I saw it on....
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-02-02 8:05 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

All the patch does it make a registry mod
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-02-03 7:52 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Heh well I guess it doesn't work very well then . It says that it is done right when I open it up, and with no delay, which makes me a bit suspicious...does anyone know what key it edits?

-By the way, C:Amie, it seems that when I try opening 15 tabbed windows at the same time of different threads on this site that your servers slow to a crawl, and my receive lights don't flicker for a minute.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-02-03 8:21 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Quite possibly
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.267 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 13