x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Small Linux Laptop?

1 2
abyssknight
abyssknight Page Icon Posted 2005-11-03 10:30 PM
#
Not looking for anything blazing, but something that'll run X would be nice.

Just looking to run nessus, nessusd, aircrack, aireplay, tcpdump, ethereal, driftnet, etc. I'm used to XFCE 4, which is lightweight compared to KDE.

Love hearing everyone's stories by the way!

OS 9, oh the memories...
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-11-04 2:07 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Lol, sounds like my 720 distribution will meet your needs once the 2.6 kernel is gold...

-If you want to get ultimate functionality, and use very little memory, I would check out fluxbox. It takes some configuring to get it exactly the way you want it, but as it is very configurable, this is not very hard. And once you get it the way you want it - it stays that way. (It is very nice...I will post screenshots later. )
 Top of the page
abyssknight
abyssknight Page Icon Posted 2005-11-04 11:41 PM
#
Man those picture books are sweeter each time I look at them... It's a shame they're still running in the $800-900 range. Yeah, once you learn to configure the Window Manager of choice, it can grow on you. We used Gnome at work for months, and then switched over to XFCE to save memory (we all run off of a terminal server). Took awhile to get used to but now I just 'work' in it.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-11-05 12:25 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

A picture book for your needs should not be more than $600....

Yes, they are very nice machines.
 Top of the page
abyssknight
abyssknight Page Icon Posted 2005-11-05 3:24 PM
#
Actually the sweet spot for me is $100 USD, as I am a cheap lil bugger. Although, those devices are mighty fine, you can get a pretty decent new machine for $600.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 60 - Executed queries : 8