x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

PORTING REQUEST: Lynx browser

fragenmensch Page Icon Posted 2005-10-30 11:30 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Anyone here who wants to port Lynx on older H/PCs(CE1.0/above)??

Marco

PS: Is that possible?
 Top of the page
Nick Charlton Page Icon Posted 2005-10-30 1:08 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Sounds interesting, I guess it is written in C, so I have no chance at it, but I would say it is possible.

Nick
 Top of the page
fragenmensch Page Icon Posted 2005-10-30 2:55 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I think it even must be programmed in C as this is the only language I know which lets itself compile both on Windows and Linux.

Marco
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-10-30 4:42 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

It can be ported...and it should be a trivial matter as well, considering how many OS's and processors it has been ported to...but someone has to do it. And I am not doing it. (At least not anytime soon...)
 Top of the page
fragenmensch Page Icon Posted 2005-10-31 2:21 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Well I would do it if there is a visual basic edition.

Marco
 Top of the page
Nick Charlton Page Icon Posted 2005-10-31 3:20 PM
#
H/PC Elite

So would I

Nick
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2005-10-31 5:05 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

but I would say it is possible.

Learn C and port it then...

I can't quite comprehend how people are posting that porting a web browser would be "trivial". I suppose it's only 3,361,710 bytes of source in 177 files. Trivial, I'd say. A good evening's work, if that.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-11-01 11:00 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I never said that...

It is not a trivial job, but a completely doable one. Its just that no one wants to do it.

-It's been about a year since I came on here, and we still have the same problem. But people aren't talking about it as much anymore...which worries me.
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2005-11-02 8:20 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

I'm not going to argue semantics with you. Perhaps I misread "and it should be a trivial matter as well" to mean that you were saying something would be trivial...

If people want things ported then they need to look at learning how to develop. No developer is going to wander across these pages and say, "oh, there's a challenge, I've always wanted to develop for a machine I don't own and that I can't buy".

Making requests has been repeatedly proven to achieve nothing.

I would also strongly counsel you to perform an evaluation to check that lynx is what you really want: there's links, links2, dillo, and other small footprint browsers to investigate.

Check to see Rainer Kuechel's work on providing a toolkit to port *nix apps to WinCE. it should help.

If you're serious, and can commit time and effort to learning C, let's take this forward. I will try to kick start a dev team as this is not something that one person should be trying to achieve - and if you take that as a challenge, then good for you

I am sorry to sound negative, but that's the way I see it.
Cheers,
Nick.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-11-03 8:09 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I will learn C when I have time, and we will see what happens from there. I would be the kind of person to do things as challenges...
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2005-11-04 5:11 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

I would love you do do that: in four days time, it'll be a year since you announced that you'd learn C in a week . That's not a dig, I'm as guilty of not achieving on the browser either

If we (the community) do want a new browser, we will have to be the ones to implement it. There is work happening on Minimo (see the latest update), but I suspect that it'll always be too big for any HPC, let alone a ce2.0 device.

I see that Lynx support for tables is not great; apparently links would be a better starting point, plus it has a smaller footprint as does w3m.

Again, we're going full circle and back to where we are a year ago with no progress made... We still need to decide what features we need to have in order to choose what browser to port

http://www.w3m.org/
http://artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~mikulas/links/
http://elinks.or.cz/

For me, I'd want a browser that can support SSL so I can use on-line banking; javascript is pretty much essential for that, too. That suggests that elinks might be the best place to start, and it would give us features that are currently absent from the HPC platform. However, the best build environment for that will be the GNU toolchain... So we might want to look at that again!

Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 10