x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Anyone aquainted with WABA?

Macavity Page Icon Posted 2005-10-30 12:58 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Feeling rather envious of programmers with more recent machines (I was almost tempted to buy a Zaurus! LOL) I was ploughing a lonely furrow looking for possible GUI development ideas for CE2.0 AND ostensibly without much success ... Then, in a discount bookshop, I came across http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/0471390658.02.LZZZZZZZ.gif Apparently this is almost HISTORIC literature!

But seriously folks, Whereas I do a bit of Java programming, J2ME didn't fire my imagination overmuch - at least for WinCE 2.0. But interestingly M. Giguere mentions a speedier alternative to Java, called WABA... http://www.wabasoft.com/ Anyway, to cut a long story short, the thing does appear to WORK on my MC12/HP320. (Hey, it prints out "Hello World" in a window!) Clearly it isn't exactly (Java) "Swing" but does offers some basic GUI capabilities...

FWIW, I "developed" it on linux (Waba includes classes for the Standard Java 1.4 SDK) and used WinME for creating the "executables" via the Waba utilities. (I'm working on AVOIDING WinME tho'!) Aside: There are also now things called "SuperWaba" (for WinCE 2.11 plus?) and... "Ewe" which might be worth a google search too. Hey, some of these look quite cool - Anyone familiar with any of them? Just a thought anyway...

Chris
 Top of the page
Nick Charlton Page Icon Posted 2005-10-30 1:53 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Hi,

I personally can't program in Java, but it is interesting. I've been searching for the VB CE thing, which I can't remember what it is called.

Nick
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-10-30 4:43 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

I remember superwaba from my palm os days...it allowed me to run frogger.

And with quite good speed too, and since that was a 33mhz dragonball... (what kind of a processor is that anyways? )
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2005-10-30 5:50 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Maybe it breathes fire when you try to overclock it . . . .
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-10-30 8:59 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Hahaha! I bet it would too if you overclocked it enough and sent it a few extra amps!
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2005-10-31 12:02 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Well, needless to say, I haven't touched my Palm m500s much lately, but I believe I installed an overclock utility called Cruise Control on one of them. Haven't seen any smoke coming out of it yet, and it still takes forever to access applications installed on the memory card. (Another advantage of CE . . . .)

Edited by CE Geek 2005-10-31 12:03 AM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-10-31 12:31 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

ahaha my m505 is useless as well.. i gave it to my sister after getting it repaired.. i have never used it
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.125 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 9