x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

bluemonq
bluemonq Page Icon Posted 2005-10-31 5:44 PM
#
Something particularly interesting happened about half an hour ago. I wandered around here and found the Splatter IRC client. Great, I thought. Now I can get on IRC from my HPC. Downloaded it, found out it was a zip file. Did some more poking around, and found Handyzip. Installed Splatter, and decided to test it out. I hop on to irchighway - and find myself disconnected. The server tells me I have been disconnected on grounds of my machine being infected with the HPCWorm.

I go to Google, then Yahoo to learn about HPCWorm. Nada. Not a single bit of information. Try the forum search; don't find anything. Go back to the message, follow the address that they have on HPCWorm - page does not exist. I then try to get onto other networks, which work just fine. What's going on here?

***First post from a Jornada 720***

Edited by bluemonq 2005-10-31 5:46 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-10-31 7:19 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

well first i'd recommend total commander, this is a great filemanager with zip abilities. or gsfinder if you prefer the other file view.

hpcworm? this must have been a joke.. i'll try that.. connecting to irchighway..
 Top of the page
bluemonq
bluemonq Page Icon Posted 2005-10-31 9:10 PM
#
it's a bit large in size for my taste, and i don't need ftp or anything...so...i'll just get along with the original manager for now ^^;

i tried it again from a different access point...same result. if i can scrounge up an ethernet card, i'll try it too. how about you? it's not a matter of life-and-death; it's just that that's the server where i do some scanlating work. so yeah...*cough*
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-10-31 11:25 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

hm i recommend getting a storage card if you think 300 kbyte is too large for a program almost all CE programs are that big or bigger. until i got a CF card for my J720 i couldn't really use the thing.. i was just experimenting..
the builtin filemanager wont show every file in Win folder and if you need to tweak something that can be a problem.

ive just tried that irc server (i visited it often a while ago - irc.irchighway.net)
the hpcworm is a misunderstanding lol...
they're checking client version and maybe splatter proudly announces itself a hpc program...
information on this worm: http://secure.irc-chat.net/info.php?viri=HPCWorm

i tried ircce too and this connects fine, no error messages. however im lucky that i tried ircce first and only after that splatter because i got myself banned from ircnet even with my PC lol.. until i change IP. that takes a day.. (ok i have gprs and dialup connections too.. )

btw ircce doesnt really work with undernet .. i see splatter does, at least partially. i could connect to channels only partially. lol. but i tried only one server

you can try the free ibm java irc as well if you dont want to pay for ircce or nag Dexxta to continue development on splatter...
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-10-31 11:30 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

lol i checked google... you said there was no info. well i did get exactly one hit and this answers our question finally!
(the original link from the irc server works too but wont tell much)

http://forum.lantar.net/viewtopic.php?p=13181&sid=ed7596e9289a4ba4dc553cff52d92de2

this line:
HPCWorm 0 0 0 "(?).*HPC.*" "You are infected with the HPC Worm." 1

blah....
but we can write an email to the irchighway admin...
 Top of the page
bluemonq
bluemonq Page Icon Posted 2005-11-01 2:39 AM
#
I got a 256mb card for $10 but as it stands, I usually husband the memory/hard drive space that I get. HandyZip took ~150k. Anyhow, I posted to their help forum, so now I wait patiently to see what they have to say~~~
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-11-01 7:05 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

HPCWorm sounds fake to me. Who would make a virus/worm for 5+ years old Handheld PC?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-01 7:38 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

tenjeangosi - 2005-11-02 1:05 AM

HPCWorm sounds fake to me. Who would make a virus/worm for 5+ years old Handheld PC?

it is not a fake, it is just a misunderstanding. have you read the explanation?
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-11-01 10:56 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

For the lazy ones of us:

Virus Name: HPCWorm
Short Description: You are infected with the HPC Worm.

Complete Information:This is a common War Script/Bot used for attacking users on IRC. You Should remove this script from your computer if you wish to connect to the IRC network you were banned from.
This signature was contributed by Ted of the irc.bigpond.net network.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-11-01 11:17 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

ProgramSynthesiser - 2005-11-01 8:56 PM

For the lazy ones of us:

Virus Name: HPCWorm
Short Description: You are infected with the HPC Worm.

Complete Information:This is a common War Script/Bot used for attacking users on IRC. You Should remove this script from your computer if you wish to connect to the IRC network you were banned from.
This signature was contributed by Ted of the irc.bigpond.net network.

oops, I was very wrong . I meant HPC Worm sounded fake to me...
 Top of the page
bluemonq
bluemonq Page Icon Posted 2005-11-02 3:59 AM
#
well, it's been two days and there hasn't been any replies guess i might just have to write them off...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-11-02 8:50 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

hehehe, worth a CESD I think.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-11-02 8:59 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

It is worth a CESD. It could be in the IRCce Support Section.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 8