x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

BEFORE I BUY - going wireless with my Jornada 720

lanscorp Page Icon Posted 2005-11-01 12:00 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Okay. I have spent hours reading forum posts - most of them nightmarish - about getting the Jornada 720 to go wireless. I am going to order a wireless card and I am looking for a magic list that will tell me the easiest, most pain-free solution available. Preferably a PC card, as I use the CF for memory.

I would bestow great boons of thanks to anyone who can help me.

Thank you!
 Top of the page
dgt123
dgt123 Page Icon Posted 2005-11-01 12:43 PM
#
I have a Jornada 728 (just the same OS, different chassis & more RAM) and I used the Symbol Wireless Networker LA-4137. Now, this IS a CF but slot it into a bog-standard PC-Card Adaptor (I use a Kingston PC-Card Compact Flash Adaptor - cost about £10 Sterling) and it works just fine. (I too use the CF slot at the bottom of the jornada for memory expansion + an antenna just does not fit!).

This wireless card works perfectly with a DLink G604-T router in mixed b/g mode with 128 WEP encryption. Though, you have to use "Open authentication" rather than Shared Key but once connected all traffic is encrypted. You can also use MAC filtering on a router to ensure authentication is secure.

The card supports DHCP, DNS + static IP addressing. So it is possible to do Infastructure wireless (using the router) + Ad hoc (your jornada and 1 other PC).

I sync between the Jornada and ActiveSync 3.8 just fine.

Facts: http://www.symbol.com/products/wireless/la4137.html
Drivers: http://www.symbol.com/legacy_downloads/documentation_drivers.html (HPC2000)
Pictures: http://www.pocketpclouisville.com/reviews/SymbolWirelessNetworkerReview.htm

Hope this helps.
 Top of the page
Nick Charlton Page Icon Posted 2005-11-01 3:57 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Hi,

I have a J720, I would recommend the Cisco Aironet 350. You can get them quite easily off eBay, when you get it, you will most probably find it hard to find the correct drivers, if you want them, I have them, and it saves time searching on the Cisco website, though, it is against their terms and Conditions So if anyone, or you want them, ask me privatly, not on the forum

The Cisco Aironet 350 works great on my Linksys hardware, and my old 'cheapo' 99p kit.

Nick
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-01 4:51 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

lanscorp - 2005-11-01 6:00 PM

Okay. I have spent hours reading forum posts - most of them nightmarish - about getting the Jornada 720 to go wireless. I am going to order a wireless card and I am looking for a magic list that will tell me the easiest, most pain-free solution available. Preferably a PC card, as I use the CF for memory.

it is a very difficult question. there are very good cards but... chipsets can slightly change even within the same model.. your best bet is to go with a wlan card that is advertised on ebay as tested and working with the j720.
but usually it is ok if you go with one of the most popular prism based cards or certain kinds of orinoco (agere? what else?).
i recommend a CF card (with a cheap adapter to fit into the pxmcia slot) or a low power pcmcia card.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 59 - Executed queries : 10