x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Dino is back! :) (Oh and thank you to the donor!) :)

Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2005-11-02 6:48 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Hey everyone, long time no speak! You can blame college and Trainz for that! ;-) (Oh and the family, with their not-so-nice problems. ).
Anyway, what have I been upto before I start?, visual images anyone?
How about this:

and from this....:

.... to this:

using a script? No? Thought not! Oh and being shouted at by a bus driver 2 weeks ago for having what he thought was "the wrong kind of ticket" (I have a bus plus ticket, marketed as "Train and bus without the fuss""Train and bus, with plenty of fuss"! Mind you, Portsmouth was a little grotty that day, there were plenty of jams everywhere in Portsmouth on that day!

Anyway, the handheld, this parcel landed on my desk today, after having a mega long day at college and feeling sick on the bus into Havant, because of a very rough bus driver. (By rough, he was very harsh on the brakes and accelerator! I wonder how much hammering those Ex-Hong Kong Relics are going to last? Those poor Volvo Gearboxes and Volvo D6A engines, I wonder also how long they are going to last? Some gearboxes love to make whining noises too, in common with all Volvo bus gearboxes. I digress).
Anyway, the box,

which landed on my desk, when I opened it up, I looked in side, 'lo and behold! It was a half cut MP780! (Half cut is a techhie term used for the sale of Locomotives, where the loco has been cut up for disposal, but instead of cutting up the loco and sending the remains for scrap steel, they leave it in a half cut/half complete state, because all EW&S wanted to do, is remove components quickly. Actully, it proved too long in the long run! ).
So, I looked at the half cut remains, and what was missing is the LCD bezel and keyboard bezel. It was otherwise complete I think. Oh and Rom/Ram cover, that was disposed of. Battery lock switch and LCD lock switch were also missing

The remains was the LCD plus silver backing, Keyboard, battery and everything below the keyboard. So, once I assessed everything, I immediately gotto work on my beutiful wreck. Opened up the untouched case (putting in more scratches and dents into the paint work! ), swapped the screens over, put the screens back together carefully and here is a tip for free, when you put the LCD onto the case, BEFORE you put the keyboard ontop, make sure the LCD ribbon cable is not
A) bent over double, (only light bending)
B) plugged in before you put the keyboard on
C) Screwed in re above
and then continue your process, not forgetting the thumb wheel connector!

Next, I flicked the switch (to fool the unit into thinking that there was a battery in it, my favorite trick for making the unit use AC only!), started it up and hoped I didn't do it again.

The good news is that:
[large]IT WORKS!!!![/large]

PROOF!!! I have never had my MP looking this nice and working this well!

So, I have to say a big THANK YOU to the donor of the parts. I am sooo happy I got my unit back!

Now, when I looked at the screen, my eyes went sorta funny, because I thought the screen was smaller! Actully it was larger than expected, I got too used to my Jornada 710.

(BTW, I'll have a lot to do in the next month, on the 3rd of December, I'll be in Birmingham for the National Exhabition Centre. Well, Warley MRC in the NEC, not sure the stand this year. Probably 88 again! If you are there and want to say Hi, you will have to look for the 6ft+ copper top, most likely going on about his content.)
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2005-11-02 8:43 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Wessex_nut - 2005-11-02 4:48 PM

Hey everyone, long time no speak! You can blame college and Trainz for that! ;-) (Oh and the family, with their not-so-nice problems. ).
Anyway, what have I been upto before I start?, visual images anyone?
How about this:

and from this....:

.... to this:

using a script? No? Thought not! Oh and being shouted at by a bus driver 2 weeks ago for having what he thought was "the wrong kind of ticket" (I have a bus plus ticket, marketed as "Train and bus without the fuss""Train and bus, with plenty of fuss"! Mind you, Portsmouth was a little grotty that day, there were plenty of jams everywhere in Portsmouth on that day!

Anyway, the handheld, this parcel landed on my desk today, after having a mega long day at college and feeling sick on the bus into Havant, because of a very rough bus driver. (By rough, he was very harsh on the brakes and accelerator! I wonder how much hammering those Ex-Hong Kong Relics are going to last? Those poor Volvo Gearboxes and Volvo D6A engines, I wonder also how long they are going to last? Some gearboxes love to make whining noises too, in common with all Volvo bus gearboxes. I digress).
Anyway, the box,

which landed on my desk, when I opened it up, I looked in side, 'lo and behold! It was a half cut MP780! (Half cut is a techhie term used for the sale of Locomotives, where the loco has been cut up for disposal, but instead of cutting up the loco and sending the remains for scrap steel, they leave it in a half cut/half complete state, because all EW&S wanted to do, is remove components quickly. Actully, it proved too long in the long run! ).
So, I looked at the half cut remains, and what was missing is the LCD bezel and keyboard bezel. It was otherwise complete I think. Oh and Rom/Ram cover, that was disposed of. Battery lock switch and LCD lock switch were also missing

The remains was the LCD plus silver backing, Keyboard, battery and everything below the keyboard. So, once I assessed everything, I immediately gotto work on my beutiful wreck. Opened up the untouched case (putting in more scratches and dents into the paint work! ), swapped the screens over, put the screens back together carefully and here is a tip for free, when you put the LCD onto the case, BEFORE you put the keyboard ontop, make sure the LCD ribbon cable is not
A) bent over double, (only light bending)
B) plugged in before you put the keyboard on
C) Screwed in re above
and then continue your process, not forgetting the thumb wheel connector!

Next, I flicked the switch (to fool the unit into thinking that there was a battery in it, my favorite trick for making the unit use AC only!), started it up and hoped I didn't do it again.

The good news is that:
[large]IT WORKS!!!![/large]

PROOF!!! I have never had my MP looking this nice and working this well!

So, I have to say a big THANK YOU to the donor of the parts. I am sooo happy I got my unit back!

Now, when I looked at the screen, my eyes went sorta funny, because I thought the screen was smaller! Actully it was larger than expected, I got too used to my Jornada 710.

(BTW, I'll have a lot to do in the next month, on the 3rd of December, I'll be in Birmingham for the National Exhabition Centre. Well, Warley MRC in the NEC, not sure the stand this year. Probably 88 again! If you are there and want to say Hi, you will have to look for the 6ft+ copper top, most likely going on about his content.)

Welcome Back! Nice CG Image. No wonder you were gone so long. You should probably check your Parties and Teenagers A Bad Mix thread. Many new responses and a grammar debate too!
 Top of the page
Pete P. Page Icon Posted 2005-11-21 6:41 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Sorry it took so long to send!! I had a room to clean... Everything disappears when that happens. I lost your box, and my Jornada 820 battery. FOund em both and voila! Didn't even see the thread, either :-P
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-21 7:49 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

tenjeangosi - 2005-11-03 2:43 AM

Welcome Back! Nice CG Image. No wonder you were gone so long. You should probably check your Parties and Teenagers A Bad Mix thread. Many new responses and a grammar debate too!

sorry i didn't see this post earlier... but i think you should pay attention to the way you're quoting others sometimes... it was a little too long here.. don't you agree, huh?
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.125 - Cached queries : 60 - Executed queries : 10