x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

HP/C and video standards

pengyou Page Icon Posted 2005-11-04 11:45 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I have noticed a variety of words used to describe video standards and situations and would like some way to understand the difference between them in practical words. The words I have seen used include ghosting, tft, dstn, 256 color, 4K color and 64K color, etc. First of all, as far as video stuff is concerned there seems to be two kinds of users. One I will call static users, people who use word, excel, e-mail, etc that require little to no animated video. These people can usually get by with monochrome also.

The second group of people I will call "dynamic" users referring to people that want to surf the web, play games and watch videos on their H/PC.

In your honest opinion, which kind of video technology in a HP/C is the minimum requirement for each kind of user? Which is preferred?

Yes...you are probably thinking, "haven't you bought one yet"? I am close..I am at the age where weight is a very important consideration...both my own weight and the weight of the things I am carrying and like to try to minimize both. It is hard to minimize my own weight when I find myself so attracted to cheesecake, etc and hard to minimize the weight of things I carry when I am addicted to gadgets
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-05 4:34 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

well i'm both kinds of users then? i use word, excel, email, etc and browsing. almost no games though. videos? well im waiting for tcpmp to have subtitle support. until that im usually too lazy to convert videos to get subtitles burned on them... but when i do, a dstn 65k screen is OK for me. of course tft is nicer...
and generally im ok with monochrome (4-16 grayscale)... i used my mc218 (16 greyscale) even for browsing the web! ok now im used to colour and it looks so basic now (i tried it again on the mc218 not long ago). still thats ok if nothing else is available and doesnt bother me much!
but if you want to watch videos, at least a 65k colour dstn, please. at least i wouldnt tolerate anything lower for that..
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-11-06 6:25 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

cmonex,

It's probably not that much help with Internet downloads, however DVDCatalyst can rip DVD's with the subtitles burnt on.

In my experience from fiddling with Wodeon, video is acceptable with 4096 colours, particularily on DSTN's which aren't too vibrant to beginwith. It's noticable on TFT though, so 64K there. IMO.
 Top of the page
fragenmensch Page Icon Posted 2005-11-06 9:18 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hm. Is there a working media player for CE2.00 except ***** Utopiasoft Hum? It doenst start anymore...

Marco

PS: Are there jumpers or things like that in the mainboard of my machine to tweak the DSTN to 16-bit color, ATM it has 256 colors only...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-11-06 11:02 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Please don't hijack other people's threads, this is about video

As I said to you before you cannot change the colour depth unless the OEM has weitten a modification for the OS to increase the colour table address space.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-06 11:55 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2005-11-06 12:25 PM

cmonex,

It's probably not that much help with Internet downloads, however DVDCatalyst can rip DVD's with the subtitles burnt on.

In my experience from fiddling with Wodeon, video is acceptable with 4096 colours, particularily on DSTN's which aren't too vibrant to beginwith. It's noticable on TFT though, so 64K there. IMO.

thanks for the info , but that again means endless hours...

hm which hpc has 4096 colours?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-11-06 3:10 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

DC's quite quick actually, and there are two modes, one to ride the cpu hard and make it super fast

The Sharp PV-5000 has 4096 colour, and is the only one I know of. The PsPC 1.2 release were all 4096 nearly. You can also playback 12-it on a 16-bit screen to improve performance and save disk space.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-06 3:57 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2005-11-06 9:10 PM

DC's quite quick actually, and there are two modes, one to ride the cpu hard and make it super fast

The Sharp PV-5000 has 4096 colour, and is the only one I know of. The PsPC 1.2 release were all 4096 nearly. You can also playback 12-it on a 16-bit screen to improve performance and save disk space.

you1re forgetting i have only a P3 celeron and i would like to use the PC while recoding the video.

sharp pv-5000... shame on me, i forgot it had 4096... i actually saw this unit in the flesh!
 Top of the page
PocketDVD (not logge
PocketDVD (not logge Page Icon Posted 2005-11-06 9:58 PM
#
Hey, a cel p3 aint bad.
I use a p3 700 mobile for programming DVD Catalyst. Sure it's got 512 megs, but still.

my thinkpad t20 can rip a 2 hour dvd to mobile divx (jornada 720 settings:160kbps/32kbps/screenrating on) in about an hour and a half. this is on a default 6spd dvd and a 5400rpm hd. if I do a video file, it will go a bit faster then that.
If you want it even faster, there's a small trick to enable the old conversion method, which will go about 20-30% faster without hogging too much more.

look in the settings file in the installation folder for "NEW" and change it into "OLD" (capitalized) and you will not find anything faster.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-11-07 6:01 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

um i have 384 MB ram and 80-90% of it is always utilized. maybe i really should do the conversions when i'm asleep and not running my usual programs i'll try not to forget to start the conversions then before going to bed...
so... many thanks for the tips&tricks
 Top of the page
pengyou Page Icon Posted 2005-11-13 10:30 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Thanks for your suggestions!
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 8